Top 10 Horror

Tools    

I am interested in knowing what movies you would include in your top 10 horror, but I am only after lists from people that are under the age of 35.

There are movies such as The Exorcist and Psycho which I personally don't enjoy myself and wouldn't include in my top 10, they're just to old, they don't have any effect on me, I find it difficult to become immersed in some of these supposed classics.

Um, why are you asking for only a certain age range... I know plenty of older people who like modern horror and people under 35 who love the old films.

Sorry about the age thing lol, was interested to know if people under a certain age still considered movies like Exorcist, Psycho and the original Texas chainsaw to still be the best.

When I don't include them in my Top 10 I normally get abused lol.

I'm wayyy under 35, but anyways:

1) Psycho
2) The Shining
3) Halloween
4) Alien
5) The Birds
6) Scream
7) Deep Red
8) Videodrome
9) Rosemary's Baby
10) A Nightmare on Elm Street

Top horror lists infuriate me because the genre line is so often blurred. Jaws, The Silence of the Lambs, Dressed to Kill, and Dead Ringers might all make the list, but I don't know if they really count as horror.

Nightmare on Elm St.
Ghostbusters
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Lost Boys
Halloween
Suspiria
Scream
Monster Squad
Day of the Dead
Phantasm

Carrie
The Thing
Poltergeist
Evil Dead 1 and 2
TheBurbs
The Howling
American Werewolf in London
Friday the 13th 1, 2, 3, 4.
Nightmare on Elm St 3
28 Days Later
Cabin in the Woods
Grindhouse

Movie Forums Extra
Nightmare on Elm St.
Ghostbusters
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Lost Boys
Halloween
Suspiria
Scream
Monster Squad
Day of the Dead
Phantasm

Those older horror classics deservedly have their reps. I can't say I could really respect the opinion of any supposed horror fan who would casually dismiss the genre's legacy. I watch and enjoy horror from all decades, hokey as some of them may seem now. At the very least, they're worthy of recognition historically, but in fact many of these films still work just fine for me despite their tragic lack of CGI.

Examples:

Dracula (1931)
Freaks (1932)
Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)
I Bury The Living(1958)
Carnival Of Souls (1962)
The Haunting (1963)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)
Halloween (1978)
Tourist Trap (1979)
The Changeling (1980)

While not all gorey, these films excel at creating an eerie atmosphere and telling a story that is more than the sum of their body parts. But in all honesty, if you couldn't appreciate Psycho's suspense or The Exorcist's creepiness, then there's probably no hope for you.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

In The Exorcist I found the possessed girl scenes laughable, and over all I just couldn't get interested in it, I dislike the dialog, acting and the overall appearance of the movie, I didn't find it creepy or scary.

Even if some movies are worthy of recognition historically, does that mean they should still appear in modern top horror lists.

I still find it difficult to understand why some people are so hostile to opinions that differ from theirs about movies, it's not a very important subject matter after all.

It's important to the people who care about it, that's all. Anyways, I didn't mean my post to be that hostile, more like teasing. If you didn't like a movie, you didn't like it, I'm not going to convince you to like it. You set yourself up for a bit of backlash, but it was done more good-humoredly than it could have been done.

While I didn't find it laughable, The Exorcist isn't even one of my personal favorites. I'm not going to argue with you about what you think belongs on some ultimate top ten list, just give props to horror you think is "too old". Horror is an extremely subjective genre and what one person thinks is laughable/boring/fake is what another person thinks is scary/disturbing/morbidly fascinating.

I think The Birds is frightening, but I know lots of people who think it's silly. Whether our opinions here are "important" or not is irrelevant; This is a movie discussion site and if someone posts their POV, it's obviously important to them and that's all that's required.

My top 10 favorite horror movies...

10. Super 8 (2011)
9. 28 Days Later (2002)
8. Misery (1990)
7. Don't Look Now (1973)
6. Jaws (1975)
5. The Evil Dead (1981)
4. Evil Dead II (1987)
3. Alien (1979)
2. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
1. Aliens (1986)

I'm wayyy under 35, but anyways:

1) Psycho
2) The Shining
3) Halloween
4) Alien
5) The Birds
6) Scream
7) Deep Red
8) Videodrome
9) Rosemary's Baby
10) A Nightmare on Elm Street

Top horror lists infuriate me because the genre line is so often blurred. Jaws, The Silence of the Lambs, Dressed to Kill, and Dead Ringers might all make the list, but I don't know if they really count as horror.
I kind of agree with you here, most people now only consider violent gore filled films such as Saw and Scream to be horrors and disregard other titles and say they aren't as good, calling them psychological thrillers.

I'm 17 and films like Psycho, The Shining, The Birds, Silence of the Lambs and others I all find brilliant. Just because they are more based on suspense and psychological shocks doesn't mean they aren't as brilliant. I found Psycho genuinely scary and Silence of the Lambs certainly has a lot of horror aspects in it especially the scenes with Hannibal.

Other than those I've mentioned I haven't seen that many horrors, not a massive fan of newer ones and much prefer older ones such as The Exorcist. Carrie I really want to see as well as well as Alien and Aliens.

Scream I quite like, the first one at least but newer versions of Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street are terrible in my opinion.

So yeh horror films I've seen and would recommend:

Psycho
The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
The Birds
The Exorcist
Scream (first one is best, second decent, other two meh)
Jaws
Saw (the first one, rest are terrible)
Blair Witch Project (need to see it properly/fully but was very good I thought)

It's important to the people who care about it
I really enjoy movies as a form of entertainment and I like talking about them, but they're not important when compared to serious things people have to deal with, like illness for example.

The Hostile comment was not aimed at you, I should of made that more clear.

I really enjoy movies as a form of entertainment and I like talking about them, but they're not important when compared to serious things people have to deal with, like illness for example.

The Hostile comment was not aimed at you, I should of made that more clear.
I enjoy movies as both entertainment and art. Art is extremely important to some people, so I take issue with you stating that opinion as if it were objective fact. Art has saved my life countless times and entertainment has been there for me when I was alone. I've dealt with illness and death and other serious life issues too,

But you're right that you should post more carefully in the future. Good day, sir.

I take issue with you stating that opinion as if it were objective fact.
Entertainment may be important to many people, but many people who voice their strong aggressive opinions about movies are doing so out of a misguided unhealthy over importance of their opinions and the movies themselves.

If I enjoy a movie, I enjoy it no matter what anybody else says, and therefore I don't care about anyone elses opinion.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If Silence of the Lambs actually counts, it is #1, though I wouldn't consider it a horror.

I don't have a definitive list, but I choose these in no specific order:

Silence of the Lambs (if it counts)
Night of the Hunter
The Ring
Psycho
Amityville Horror ( the remake)
Jaws (if it counts)
Signs

after that, who knows

I am interested in knowing what movies you would include in your top 10 horror, but I am only after lists from people that are under the age of 35.
I'm in my 20s if you really need to know about the age thing and ten of my favourite Horror films(I can't do a top list so it's the first ten that pop into my head that I adore) are:

The Orphanage

Eyes Without A Face

A Tale of Two Sisters