Perks of being a wallflower (20120

→ in
Tools    

Another movie I have seen recently which I really enjoyed.

This was the first film I had seen Emma Watson in after the Harry Potter franchise. I wasn't sure she would be able to shake Hermoine Granger but she did with aplomb.

I was very impressed with Ezra Miller's performance in 'We need to talk about Kevin', a film which I was blown away by, so I was keen to see how he would approach this role. I think he is one to look out for in the future because he gave another fine performance.

I love the quote 'we accept the love we think we deserve'
A lovely film.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Ezra Miller gave good performances in both Perks and We Need to Talk About Kevin, but I find both of these movies to be deeply flawed. Perks has more going for it than is wrong with it and it's really likeable, but the screenplay needed to be edited. Too much went nowhere and had it had more focus it could have been so much more.

Other than the performances We Need To Talk About Kevin was a huge disappointment for me.

A very good movie that depicts a teenager's life. Not sure about Emma Watson playing the role of Sam but she did a commendable job. Definitely a must-watch if you read the book.

Other than the performances We Need To Talk About Kevin was a huge disappointment for me.
Amazing performances but it was quite a messy film compared to the book, and the ending was not as emotional or good as the book ending.

"Right now we are alive and in this moment I swear we are infinite."
I liked this movie, but with mixed feelings. There is a common symptom films set in high school (Chronicle, for example) suffer from that leaves them feeling so... unbelievable, for lack of a better word. Maybe it's the cliches or the overdeveloped characters with flaws that shouldn't be there. Regardless, the story is good and the characters were fun. I found it funny how Charlie gets high and suddenly 'wakes up'. A really likeable (likable?) group of actors. I haven't read the book, but it's cool to see an author make a movie about his own novel.

6.75/10

VERDICT: WORTH A WATCH!

There were many things I liked about this movie. One of them was how it captured the excitement teenagers feel at hearing a great new song for the first time and how that song will always be associated with where they were and what they were doing when they heard it. In this case, they're driving through a tunnel in a pick-up and David Bowie's 'Heroes' comes on the radio....Also, the Rocky Horror Picture Show scenes.

Completely agree with you about Perks completely capturing the feeling of hearing a song for the first time, Celluloid. Interestingly, Asleep was one of those songs for me in high school. I played that song over and over and over....

Perks has a lot of really good things going for it. I hear people criticize it for the teenagers being unrealistic. I feel like some teenagers think that this is how they are in their head, so I didn't have a problem with that.

^ I keep seeing this unrealistic thing come up too, it's funny because for me it's one of the most realistic films I've seen compared to other films set in high school, it reminded me of my high school years a lot, the kind of people I was around and so on. As well as the music element pointed out by CelluloidChild, I was at school when we made actual mix cassettes/tapes for close friends and boyfriends. Don't know what they do now, even if they do mix things for friends.

Love the book and film.

Yeah, it reminded me of the people I hung out with too and the experiences I had. We would go see Rocky Horror and we constantly dug in the past to find gems in the way of music and movies. Anything current was unacceptable. So the movie rings true for me. I don't know. Maybe if someone had a very different high school experience the movie appears unrealistic to them.

I was at school when we made actual mix cassettes/tapes for close friends and boyfriends. Don't know what they do now, even if they do mix things for friends.
http://8tracks.com/

http://mixtape.me/

I read about these kinds of sites some time ago. Have never tried them. There seem to be quite a few.

I too spent many hours making mixed cassette tapes for friends - and later mixed CDs.

They were always treasured gifts to receive as well.

that's what she said...
I kept putting this movie off but watched it recently and wished I had seen it sooner! I thought the preformances were spot on-- Emma Watson did great in her role, it was refreshing to see her character have a completely different personality.

I hadn't read the book so I didn't know what I was in for but I did find it quite emotional. Being in highschool years 2004-2008 I couldnt completely relate to the characters but I truely did understand them... I know in my highschool people loved listening to the "80s" music over the new stuff and there deffinately were stereotypes that acted similar to the Perks characters.

Overall, great movie ending was a twist--I wasn't expecting it... I give it 4.5/5 stars.