Accents

Tools    

Any American giving an Irish accent is always funny.

Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own and Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away are hilarious.

Kevin Costner's English accent tops the lot though.

Most times a white actor tries to do a Hispanic accent is laughable. The only exception I can think of is Jenette Goldstein as Vasquez in Aliens. I thought she was Hispanic for over ten years.

Anything Daniel Day-Lewis does is great.

Russell Crowe's unintentional slightly Irish accent in Robin Hood is funny, if you haven't seen this already listen to his reaction when being questioned about it in a radio interview:

"You've got dead ears mate" "Bollocks"

Semper Fooey
Any American giving an Irish accent is always funny.

Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own and Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away are hilarious.

Kevin Costner's English accent tops the lot though.
If you mean Robin Hood, he didn't try to do one.

Russell Crowe's unintentional slightly Irish accent in Robin Hood is funny, if you haven't seen this already listen to his reaction when being questioned about it in a radio interview:

"You've got dead ears mate" "Bollocks"
He's such a twat sometimes. Get an accent coach or something.

Most times a white actor tries to do a Hispanic accent is laughable.
How about a white Hispanic? You should know that there are millions of white people in Latin America. Also, Hispanic also designates the populations of Portugal and Spain, which are European (thus, white) countries.

Since Portugal and Brazil speak Portuguese, while Spain and the rest of Latin America speak Spanish, there are two clearly distinct accents associated with Hispanic peoples.

Just rephrase it for: when Americans and non-Spanish European actors tries to do a Spanish accent is laughable.

The only exception I can think of is Jenette Goldstein as Vasquez in Aliens. I thought she was Hispanic for over ten years.
Oh, she isn't? Discovered this now, though that's because I don't really care much about the ethnic origins of specific actors.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Spain and Latin American countries each have multiple accents, so it can get complicated.

How about a white Hispanic? You should know that there are millions of white people in Latin America. Also, Hispanic also designates the populations of Portugal and Spain, which are European (thus, white) countries.

Since Portugal and Brazil speak Portuguese, while Spain and the rest of Latin America speak Spanish, there are two clearly distinct accents associated with Hispanic peoples.

Just rephrase it for: when Americans and non-Spanish European actors tries to do a Spanish accent is laughable.

Oh, she isn't? Discovered this now, though that's because I don't really care much about the ethnic origins of specific actors.
You seem to know what I meant. Yes when someone non Spanish tries to do a Spanish accent. I can only imagine Heston doing an accent in Touch of Evil

I know right? So with the right actor the ethnic thing with the role does not matter. You get a bad combo however, you get something either really really bad, or something really really funny.

Heston didn't do an accent; they just darkened his skin.
I know, but imagine his he had attempted to do one. I remember reading he regreted not doing one. IDK if that would have been a good idea. It is a damn good movie and the accent would not have been needed.

I'd say it's a given that there isn't really one set "accent" for each country or ethnicity so I really don't see much point in Guaporense's post.

Here in the U.S., for example, there are many different accents among the English-speaking, American born citizens. I'm born and raised in California and have a distinctly different accent than an American who was born and raised in, say, Tennessee.

anything daniel day-lewis does is great.

Russell crowe's unintentional slightly irish accent in robin hood is funny, if you haven't seen this already listen to his reaction when being questioned about it in a radio interview:

"you've got dead ears mate" "bollocks" :d
brilliant!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sorta speaking of Orson Welles, his Irish accent in Lady From Shanghai is ridiculous, as is Pacino's Cuban accent in Scarface. They do add some humor to the movies though.

It used to be Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins, closely followed by Connery's 'Irish' accent in The Untouchables, however, since 2007 we have a new winner.

An accent so bad, they, apparently, made it into a gimmick for the next film.

This said, any time a British, usually English, actor has to do an 'British' accent, it's always horrible. This seems to be particularly true with television.