Music in Film: Favorite scores, songs, soundtracks, and scenes

Tools    

Think it's worth a mention Tarantino transitioned his whole music selection process with Kill Bill . Directly lifting songs from other movies, into his own. Mostly songs that transcend the obscure movie they're from. One that really stuck out to me was when he used the theme from Battle Royale during the scene where the KKK rides up on Dr. Schultz' wagon. A movie Tarantino cited as one of his all time favorites. I would consider it an honor in any case, for my song to used by Tarantino, because he always picks awesome stuff.

Using Jim Croce's 'I Got a Name' - although I like that song - didn't fit Django Unchained

Hip hop isn't bad. You just need to find the right kind/artist that suits your taste. I mean, obviously it's not for everybody, but usually, if you truly appreciate music, you can find some hip hop that you do actually enjoy.

But yeah, the use of it in Django was just awkward and fit the whole theme of Tarantino making a movie for any idiot in America to enjoy. I was very disappointed in the soundtrack, as I was the film in general.

Don't think anyone has posted this, but definitely one of my favourite use of music in a film scene, very much like Kubrick in the way it contrasts a cheerful tune with violent images...

Requiem for a Dream. I think the main theme takes the credit away from some other fantastic moments in the score:

Some spoilers ahead, but they won't make a whole lot of sense if you haven't seen the film.

Navajo Joe used brilliantly in Kill Bill...

Edit: What the hell, this video is posted on this page already and I even repped it But I watched Navajo Joe the other day and thought the music was great.

My all time favorite soundtrack is James Horner's work on Aliens. I actually own the soundtrack to that film and listen to it often.

One score in particular I'm fond of is Henry Mancini's main theme from Lifeforce. It's an epic masterpiece.

My favorite composer of all time is Jerry Goldsmith. My favorite movie scores from him are: First Blood, Poltergeist, Gremlins, The 'Burbs, The Omen, Logan's Run, Legend, The River Wild, Psycho 2, Kingdom of the Spiders.

I also love Jerry Fielding's soundtrack for Straw Dogs.