Critically acclaimed films that you didn't enjoy

Tools    

Godfather-Put me to sleep
I agree. I made the mistake of reading the book first, it was one of the best, but the movie was mediocre. I didnt think there was much to it.

All of the films by Federico Fellini that I've seen have left me cold, including 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, La Strada and Nights of Cabiria. After watching these supposed classics I finally gave up and admitted I just can't stand the guy. .
Oh thank God it is not just me. Fellini to me, is simply meh

Shawshank Redemption (insufferable)
Forrest Gump (insufferable x10)
Source Code
Rocky
Gladiator

Adding The Master to the list. What a borefest.
/I saw it once and didn't understand **** all
/I wish Hans Zimmer scored the movie

What are the critically acclaimed films that you didn't enjoy very much? Films considered among the best ever made by professional critics that you found boring or simply bad?

Some of my examples:

The Tree of Life
My opinion: Self indulgent and pretentious. I was nauseous and bored watching this.

Pom Poko - Takahata
One of the most critically acclaimed animated films ever made, I found it to be quite bad.

La Dolce Vitta - Fellini
While 8 1/2 is among my top 20 favorite movies of all time, I found La Dolce Vitta, which is considered his other masterpiece, to be a bore.

Breathless - Godard
which is very low for a movie that was rated among the 20 greatest movies of all time.

Come and See - Klimov
My opinion: Bad cinematography, pacing, general lack of humanism in characters: they look like robots in human flesh, demonization of wartime enemies (Germans), which amounts to propaganda. I would say this was one of the worst movies ever considered among the greatest.

Casablanca - Curtiz
My opinion: Too explicit in its execution/dialogue: characters could have been more subtle. I have heard all the lines in this film 50 times before watching it. I was mostly bored.

Chinatown - Polanski
My opinion: I didn't find it entertaining and was bored. There are films that are not entertaining but they are high art (such as Tarkovsky's, Andrei Rublev) and hence are great, while this is a thriller that made me feel sleepy.

Don't be afraid people, talk about movies that many loved that you didn't and why you didn't like them!
Tree of life blew my mind. To this day I still can't decide if that was a good thing or not.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tree of life blew my mind. To this day I still can't decide if that was a good thing or not.
Wait a year and then watch it again I'd say. It's exactly what I did and while the first time I've seen this I was uncertain, the second time it was an ultimate bliss.

I am adding Chinatown to my list. And I know I will never like this film (it's not that I am going to watch it again anyway), because it repeatedly made me watch the clock as I could not wait for it to end.

I am adding Chinatown to my list. And I know I will never like this film (it's not that I am going to watch it again anyway), because it repeatedly made me watch the clock as I could not wait for it to end.
My heart tears apart everytime I read something like this about one of my favorite movies. Especially about Casablanca and Chinatown.

What wasn't enjoyable about it? I just want to understand, because for me this movie was close to perfection.

I wouldn't say it was close to perfection, and is probably my least favorite Polanski film out of the four I have seen, but it's still really good and fun to watch.

Also, how do you not enjoy Nicholson's charisma in Chinatown?! That alone should be enough to find some sort of enjoyment in the film.

EDIT: I forgot about The Pianist. I like Chinatown more than The Pianist.

My heart tears apart everytime I read something like this about one of my favorite movies. Especially about Casablanca and Chinatown.

What wasn't enjoyable about it? I just want to understand, because for me this movie was close to perfection.
It shouldn't, you should get used to the fact that some people might not like your favourite movie, even if you, most of the critics and the vast majority of movie lovers think it is a masterpiece. It is perfectly normal.

What wasn't enjoyable about it? Well, there are many reasons why I didn't enjoy it, for instance it made me sleepy even though I watched it at lunchtime. I really wanted to enjoy it, especially since many cinephiles and critics consider it as one of the greatest movies ever made, but I just didn't, even though I tried to force myself to like it. It's not even one of the best movies of the 70's, if you ask me.

I only really liked the beginning of the movie a little, the rest of the film I found boring and tedious. The ending could've been better, as a matter of fact the entire movie could've been better. There are some films that I consider watching for a second time even though I don't like them after one viewing. But Chinatown isn't one of those films, because there is not one scene, not one single character, not one piece of dialogue that would make me want to see it again. I understand why people like it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Casablanca, on the other hand, is different. That was an enjoyable experience, Chinatown wasn't.

I wouldn't say it was close to perfection, and is probably my least favorite Polanski film out of the four I have seen, but it's still really good and fun to watch.

Also, how do you not enjoy Nicholson's charisma in Chinatown?! That alone should be enough to find some sort of enjoyment in the film.
I can see why you would like some of Polanski's other films better. He has some great films with probably sometimes an even more stylized atmosphere than Chinatown. In a certain way you can say that Chinatown is more commercial than some of his other work. If you're more interested in other aspects of a film, that's perfectly understandable.

I just thought that in this picture all important elements needed for an excellent movie were there. It had a great script, some interesting characters, the best movie score I've ever heard, awesome actors and great direction and cinematography. It's also a tribute to one of my favorite film genres, the film noir. It was so interesting in every aspect, that I immediately watched it again after the first time I saw it, 2 years ago.

I just can't imagine how someone can dislike this stuff, but people are different, I guess.

It shouldn't, you should get used to the fact that some people might not like your favourite movie, even if you, most of the critics and the vast majority of movie lovers think it is a masterpiece. It is perfectly normal.

What wasn't enjoyable about it? Well, there are many reasons why I didn't enjoy it, for instance it made me sleepy even though I watched it at lunchtime. I really wanted to enjoy it, especially since many cinephiles and critics consider it as one of the greatest movies ever made, but I just didn't, even though I tried to force myself to like it. It's not even one of the best movies of the 70's, if you ask me.

I only really liked the beginning of the movie a little, the rest of the film I found boring and tedious. The ending could've been better, as a matter of fact the entire movie could've been better. There are some films that I consider watching for a second time even though I don't like them after one viewing. But Chinatown isn't one of those films, because there is not one scene, not one single character, not one piece of dialogue that would make me want to see it again. I understand why people like it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Casablanca, on the other hand, is different. That was an enjoyable experience, Chinatown wasn't.
Well, if it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea.
You should give it a second chance in the faraway future, though.

I would have to agree with Blue lion in regards to inception, it was very boring and totally confusing for sure ,)

However, The usual suspects was an incredible movie, but it just goes to show that we all have different taste in films ,)

and was the Usual Suspects ... critically acclaimed? because i did not think it was...
Yes, it was. 77/100 on metacritic and 89% frest at rotten tomatoes.