Horror Movies

Tools    

One that haunted me when I was kid was Dawn Of The Dead (2004), television cut, doesn't contain much gore, just some blood but still was very shocking and disturbing for kids. I had zombie nightmares for like weeks I had to sleep in my parents bedroom, coz I was scared alone.LOL! I haven't even seen the unrated version but I would like to someday.

I'm still not a fan of horror up to now, but I love The Shining. It's one my favorite of the genre. The other is The Thing. They're both perfect horror thrillers, not much gore, but very effective. I would appreciate some recommendations mofos.

KUBRICK STARE

Well, if you like The Thing, I would recommend Alien or David Cronenberg's remake of The Fly, in case you haven't seen one of those. But The Shining is pretty unique to its genre, I can't name many horror films that are really similar to it.

I've never seen The Fly. Never seen any of Cronenberg's either. Is this the type of horror you can watch alone? Coz the tagline says "Be afraid. Be very afraid." Lol
Thanks for the rec. I'll put it on my uber long watch-list.

UF, did you really rate Nightmare 3 above the first?
Yup, I'm not a fan of the series at all, but think Dream Warriors is far more imaginative and entertaining than the other installments. I tried to watch the original again recently and it hasn't aged well.

I'd say The Burning is superior to Friday The 13th (as is Friday The 13th: Part IV and VI.)

The Burning
is really just a knock off of Friday the 13th which was in turn heavily influenced by Mario Bava's far superior A Bay Of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve. I don't rate either that highly but give Friday the edge for coming first. I'm just not a fan of generic 80's American slashers and The Burning falls head over heels into that category.

Also, do you realise you rated Frailty as rubbish?
Yes. I went to see Frailty on opening night because it's Bill Paxton's directorial debut, and I'm a fan. Sadly I thought it was devoid of suspense, and found the story (dad has religious dream about people being demons before commiting a series of axe murders involving his sons) extremely heavy handed, and dull.

Lastly, you may think The Shining is outstanding, but that's one hell of a boring film.
Boring? Really?
I think it's a very unsettling movie with far too much going on to be boring. There's a least two or three scenes in The Shining that give me the shivers just thinking about them. If you'd rather watch the likes of The Burning, Halloween 3, and Lustig's barrel scrapingly bad Maniac, then you're welcome to them.

As for the others I haven't seen them, and might take a look at May which looks interesting.

I've never seen The Fly. Never seen any of Cronenberg's either. Is this the type of horror you can watch alone? Coz the tagline says "Be afraid. Be very afraid." Lol
Thanks for the rec. I'll put it on my uber long watch-list.
It's not really scary, per se, but it is gross beyond words

Yup, I'm not a fan of the series at all, but think Dream Warriors is far more imaginative and entertaining than the other installments. I tried to watch the original again recently and it hasn't aged well.
I can see why you say it's more imaginative (bar the central theme, I'd agree) and I agree it's more entertaining. I also agree that it's aged, but I don't think it's diminished it's power.

The Burning
is really just a knock off of Friday the 13th which was in turn heavily influenced by Mario Bava's far superior A Bay Of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve. I don't rate either that highly but give Friday the edge for coming first. I'm just not a fan of generic 80's American slashers and The Burning falls head over heels into that category.
Indeed The Burning is a knock off of Friday, but that's why I mention it. IMO, it's one of the few films that's better than the film it 'impersonates'. I've yet to watch Bay Of Blood (though I do have it) but I wouldn't have mentioned it as Hitch97 was limiting his argument to American horror since 1980.

Yes. I went to see Frailty on opening night because it's Bill Paxton's directorial debut, and I'm a fan. Sadly I thought it was devoid of suspense, and found the story (dad has religious dream about people being demons before commiting a series of axe murders involving his sons) extremely heavy handed, and dull.
I think this and Near Dark are the only films that I like Bill Paxton in. Can't stand that man most of the time. If these are the films he directs, I much prefer him behind the camera than in front of it.

Boring? Really?
I think it's a very unsettling movie with far too much going on to be boring. There's a least two or three scenes in The Shining that give me the shivers just thinking about them.
Yep, boring. I find it dull and I really don't 'get' it at all. I don't find it scary (but that's the same for every horror film) but it doesn't chill me, I don't find myself wrapped up in an atmosphere, the characters annoy me. I've seen it 3 or 4 times now. The first time I saw it I thought it might be a film that grew on me, which is why I've watched it more times, but I get less from it every time.

If you'd rather watch the likes of The Burning, Halloween 3, and Lustig's barrel scrapingly bad Maniac, then you're welcome to them.
Indeed I would. Thank you.

As for the others I haven't seen them, and might take a look at May which looks interesting.
For you, I think May would be the most interesting, though I'd also recommend you giving Joy Ride the time of day, should the opportunity arise. I wouldn't advise you seek it, though. Happy Birthday To Me is, by far, my favourite of those you've not seen, but it's probably not something you'll like too much. Needful Things is fun and likeable 'horror', but I'd recommend watching it just for Max von Sydow's performance alone. Wait until it's on tv and watch it then. I'm in a very small minority (8 and counting, I think) who thinks Hide & Seek is good. I'm always looking for new members, though.

. I've yet to watch Bay Of Blood (though I do have it)
I hope you have the Arrow Cult Labs edition as the previous UK release is cut and has an awful transfer. I say check it out tonight as being a Friday fan you should get a real kick out of the similarities right down to the lead actress's outfit.

I think this and Near Dark are the only films that I like Bill Paxton in. Can't stand that man most of the time.

'This can't be happenin' man!!! This can't be happenin'!!!'

Needful Things is fun and likeable 'horror', but I'd recommend watching it just for Max von Sydow's performance alone.
Yeah I saw Von Sydow is in it which is recommendation enough because the man's a class act. May just looks like a real under the radar effort which always piques my interest.

I hope you have the Arrow Cult Labs edition as the previous UK release is cut and has an awful transfer. I say check it out tonight as being a Friday fan you should get a real kick out of the similarities right down to the lead actress's outfit.
I don't think it is. I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

Now, you know I think that film's all kinds of awful. God, he's not even the most annoying thing about that film. That's how bad it is.

I watched some short horror animated movies,but i all-ways wanted to see real animated horror movie,and i cant find that.

He was so freakin' annoying in Twister. What's worse is that he narrates the Twister exhibit at Universal Studios Orlando.

What is the scariest,grossest,bloodiest newer horror flick out today? Love horror...need some new ideas