The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Three Musketeers

Let it be known that I am not very well versed in the history of the story of the Three Musketeers. Perhaps that is why I had such a hard time with it. I feel that the movie tried to overblend comedy with the action. I actually found a lot of the jokes to be funny. But it really lessened how I felt about the action sequences, which came off as pure cheese. Like when the storage chest flipped over and his hand got stuck in it, I rolled my eyes a bit. Same with when the polar bear ended up saving him. Was this what they were actually going for? Probably, but it's usually something that I have a hard time going for, especially with something that comes off as a fairytale historical piece.

I liked the sets and I did like a majority of the cast. I thought the costumes were well done and they gave the film a nice period piece feel. It's the story that is the big problem for me. I think it is half on me and half on the structure of the film. If I had to guess correctly this is one of those films that nostalgia really is needed to love, could be wrong about that. Either way, it was nice to finally see a Musketeers film even if it didn't really work for me.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I will be starting this a lot sooner than I anticipated. Here I said that I would have to wait awhile for Manchester By the Sea, but it came into the library already. I picked it up today. And as there are many requests on it, I won't be able to renew it. So this will be watched within the next few days.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
this is one time when spoilers is helpful in preparation for this movie, thanks, Vicky!

And one more strong review from Scarlet - very nice

and thanks Raul for posting your thoughts; the sets and the costumes are pretty incredible and the mix of comedic and serious action won't be for everyone and like with anything, it'll work for you or it won't.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nightmare Alley Potential Spoilers

A nice little change up from a typical film noir. I hadn't even heard of this film prior to seeing it nominated here, and that's quite surprising giving how solid it was. I liked the setting of the carnival and I liked the set up to how we are introduced to the characters. Zeena is the lead to her show with her sidekick Stanton and an even lesser sidekick Molly. But it all changes once Pete (Zeenas husband) drinks the wrong bottle of moonshine and dies. Eventually Stanton is kicked out as he and Molly have become an item.

Stanton's past haunts him as he regrets what he did to Pete. Stanton is played brilliantly by Tyrone Power, who was also excellent in Witness for the Prosecution. He is surely the acting highlight of the film. But I really, really liked Coleen Gray (who apparently I've seen in other stuff but just didn't think too much of her). Joan Blondell and Helen Walker give great performances as well. It's the performances that make the film flow real well and keep it interesting.

My favorite part was when Molly attempted to ask as a ghost as Grindles wife, but then we see the scene take an unexpected turn. I thought that was really well done and a standout piece for me.

I go back and forth on how I liked the ending. Acting wise it was well done, but story wise I think it could have been done more effectively. Perhaps seeing it again would change my opinion but I was quite impressed overall with the film. I think it does good but not great overall in this HOF. I'm glad it was nominated as it's definitely looking like it's criminally underseen yet it's respected by many online reviewers.

+

The Great Dictator (Charles Chaplin, 1940)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/14/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Silent Vamp's Nomination
Rewatch: No.

Charlie Chaplin was a man of great skill and - as the film's writer, director, and star - his skills were on full display here. The concept of The Great Dictator is quite brilliant, the film itself looked great, and the timing and physicality of Chaplin's dual performances are very impressive.

That said, I had a tough time with this one. While some of the gags nearly brought a smile to my face, most of them - like those in the other Chaplin films I've seen - simply fell flat for me. This isn't really the fault of the film, though. I can definitely see how someone who appreciates slapstick/physical comedy would enjoy the film, but that type of comedy just doesn't appeal to me. Making matters worse, the repetition of some of these gags made the film's two hour run time feel considerably longer and at times I struggled to engage. However, the situation improved considerably by the film's final scene. And it's mostly for that scene that I give The Great Dictator a favorable rating. The barber's speech was poignant, moving, and still relevant all these many years later.

-

Buffalo '66

Vincent Gallo is to me this unkempt type of guy with danger radiating from his eyes. He looks like a guy who likes to stir problems. Buffalo '66 is also kind of unkempt film but in a good way. I really like the feature and this was my fourth watch. It is very real and unusual at the same time. I mean Billy desperately looking for a washroom finding himself in a dance school. Then calling his parents and Layla just came in handy so he simply kidnaps her to pretend to be his wife. I love the way how Gallo manages to describe his life story, his character, and relationship with his parents, his traumas, pains in 24-hour-story.

WARNING: "possible" spoilers below
I love that change from a guy full of anger to this gentle guy who manages to smile and finally be nice.
I like cinematography, camera, flashback sequences, score, plot, acting and Gallo showed an interesting way to meet girls haha. This is one complete piece of cinema and there is nothing to add or remove, it’s perfect as is.
Great nom Camo!

Legend in my own mind
Caught up with the reviews, great start guys

@ScarletLion @Sarge So glad you guys liked my nom . Good reviews.

Won't be able to watch anything tonight as it's late here, but i'll be watching Nightmare Alley tomorrow.
And you thought that I would hate it.

First ever HoF viewing and I enjoyed it. Bar set high. Will get round to another one today.

Dead Poets Society

I saw it first time back in 90s and I wonder why I’ve never revisited this feature again. Well, I guess because something just wasn’t fitting in the story. I mean it all started very good. New school year begins and there he is Mr Keating, cool new English teacher with his unconventional methods who teaches his students to think for themselves, to think freely. And they are indeed inspired starting Dead Poets Society, searching their true feelings, searching their true talents, becoming more opened, breaking down that shell of conventionality. Up until now everything was great but then all those unreal twists arrived.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Like Neil’s father getting all upset about Neil taking part in a play even though he’s got straight A’s. for me this was unreal. All that sternness of his father. It was overdone. Subsequently Neil’s suicide was also unreal for how the movie’s mood was set. Also Richard suddenly ratting out Mr Keating. I mean it was real, he just wanted to save his skin however he was overly convinced about Keating being responsible for Neil's suicide. It was unreal to me. It was like a coat with so many holes and someone would sew all kinds of colourful patches that don’t fit any more. Even that scene Mr Nolan striking, I think Knox, with that cricket bat was unreal to me. I thought he would yell at him or put him to suspension or similar. It just didn’t fit there.

But hey, if the movie didn’t work for me it doesn’t mean it is a bad movie. If only one person from hundred was inspired and it’s changed their life then it works and the movie has its purpose.

Glad you still liked Buffalo '66 Nestorio, great review

WARNING: "buffalo" spoilers below
Your "I love that change from a guy full of anger to this gentle guy who manages to smile and finally be nice." line is exactly it. I adored the ending.
yeah, i was so relieved. i actually laughed when he was saying "easy easy easy" , nothing funny about that i was only glad
WARNING: "buffalo" spoilers below
he was finally happy
i think this feature matures well.

The Three Musketeers

As it turned out, this was actually my first time seeing this film and I must admit, it was a great goofy fun. The old Victorian charm and humour were really amplified, and eventough some jokes were funnier than the rest, the film in general was hysterical and I had several laugh out loud moments, throughout its course. The rich and talented cast was fully mobilized and most of them really strived in their comedic roles. My favourite performance was by Jean-Pierre Cassel, who really excelled as a clueless King Louis VII. But not too much behind him was Michael York, with his enthusiastic and energetic performance, as a young, naive and ambitous D'Artagnan.

The costumography was top notch , as well as the nice rustical and authentic settings. Film's fast pace appealed to me greatly, as there was literally not a single boring moment and I was really enjoying it every second. I also liked how the film captured perfect blend of adventure, romance and battle scenes. The same battle scenes were my favourites. They were well choreographed and entertaining. I particularly liked how the sword fights were made, as a delicate and calculated game, with lots of swift and unpredictable movements.

Ultimately this was a fun, fast-paced adventure flick, with a suprisingly good photography, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great nomination Ed !

Nice to see that worked for you as intended. Lighthearted movies don't usually do well in the Hall of Fames. I think that movie does what it does well and just needs the right audience.

Agreed...comedies have a hard time in Hofs, though I'm very glad people nominate them. I almost nominated a comedy myself. I don't see a musical ever winning a main Hof.

Comedies, musicals, religious movies, extreme graphic violence, animal torture will almost always be at a disadvantage, over straight dramas in a main Hof.

I just watched The Hunt. I wanted to get my write-up finished, but I didn't realize how late it was, so it looks like I'm going to be sleeping on it. Hopefully in the morning I'll have something more to say other than "children are awful, adults are worse" which is about all I have right now.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Three Musketeers

As it turned out, this was actually my first time seeing this film and I must admit, it was a great goofy fun. The old Victorian charm and humour were really amplified, and eventough some jokes were funnier than the rest, the film in general was hysterical and I had several laugh out loud moments, throughout its course. The rich and talented cast was fully mobilized and most of them really strived in their comedic roles. My favourite performance was by Jean-Pierre Cassel, who really excelled as a clueless King Louis VII. But not too much behind him was Michael York, with his enthusiastic and energetic performance, as a young, naive and ambitous D'Artagnan.

The costumography was top notch , as well as the nice rustical and authentic settings. Film's fast pace appealed to me greatly, as there was literally not a single boring moment and I was really enjoying it every second. I also liked how the film captured perfect blend of adventure, romance and battle scenes. The same battle scenes were my favourites. They were well choreographed and entertaining. I particularly liked how the sword fights were made, as a delicate and calculated game, with lots of swift and unpredictable movements.

Ultimately this was a fun, fast-paced adventure flick, with a suprisingly good photography, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great nomination Ed !
I had a feeling this MAY be up your alley, very happy to hear that it was. The cast IS rather rich with talent. Cassel's nuances were brilliant. Like so many others in this.
And on a side note, in that photo is Geraldine Chaplin, first daughter to Charlie Chaplin's fourth wife, Oona, who stayed with Charlie for the rest of his days.
For the fights, I actually enjoyed that some aspects were more realistic, not so over the top. Specifically with Oliver Reed's Athos who fought like an ex-soldier would; what ever way works.

Nice to see that worked for you as intended. Lighthearted movies don't usually do well in the Hall of Fames. I think that movie does what it does well and just needs the right audience.
Aptly put.

That's definitely true. Looking at the winners in Seans post i'd say the only film that could maybe be called lighthearted to win a general one is Empire Strikes Back. And that has hand chopping and incest revelations haha. Out of the other Hall of Fames: Beauty & The Beast and Wall-E are the only ones (i've seen) that i think come close to that and that was because they were both in Animated HOFs, and both aren't really "lighthearted". Think what i think of as lighthearted involves a decent amount of humour and that's something that is really difficult to get right for any number of random people. A Comedy HOF that works now that we've stopped arguing about this stuff for the most part would be really interesting, i think it would all be very close as more than anything in film people are divided by comedy i feel.

MoFo likes their heavy dramas is basically what any aspiring hall of fame winner should remember.
LOL I'll have to keep that mind -- at some point, anyway lol

Comedy and light-hearted films ARE a tough sell with HoFs while at the same time to stop nominating them would lessened the really great diversity of these. Which, I know for a fact, no is saying. They're just a hard sell.

It is an interesting observation though.
With just about any other genre; mystery, sci-fi, drama, action, while things may work or not work for any given viewer, they'll simply focus elsewhere. For some odd reason, if a comedy DOESN'T work, I think, the viewer gets more disgruntled. We refuse to find anything, or find ourselves incapable of any attempt to find something else that is enjoyable in it.
In the Musical HoF I had trouble watching Tenacious D and since the comedic aspect didn't work, I had trouble enjoying the music or anything else in it.
Now, speaking of Y Tuma, seeing Camo mention it in a previous post; being over 50, watching horny young men made me roll my eyes. BUT, I still really enjoyed the camera work, the really beautiful landscapes, I got involved in the narration and, I was happily blown away by the final act and the understanding of what the "real message" of the movie was about.
If it was a comedy that I didn't enjoy, would I have appreciated all of that? Maybe, but the probability is marginally less.