The Batman Franchise After Nolan

Tools    

Re: "eluded." I was being cheeky; I mean the wisdom to do so eluded them.

By the way, I dunno if I'm in the minority here, but I like Batman Begins every bit as much as The Dark Knight.

Relevant news on this front:

Robinov knows that the most bankable part of his superhero empire has been Nolan and his Gotham City films – the studio has yet to deliver a 21st century superhero blockbuster hit without Nolan in the director’s seat. Batman will continue to be a centerpiece property beyond next year’s The Dark Knight Rises and Nolan’s departure from the franchise. “We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman…Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”
So, I guess the implication is that they do probably reboot it in some form, with Nolan overseeing things a bit. Works for me.

Of course, I'll point out on Dex's behalf that "reinvent" does not necessarily mean "reboot" and that it could absolutely encompass a "Batman Beyond" type reworking.

To me, it's simple.

Kill the Batman.

It'd be gutsy, wouldn't it? And depending on how it's done it could tie into the third film's title in some clever ways, much like The Dark Knight did.

I think it could have easily just been called nothing; been like Prince and used an unpronounceable bat signal glyph. In other words, it's just called [the symbol]. Sort of like how Batman is a symbol.

Man, I need to go into marketing.

i know using the word rises in a title that is going to be the last movie is wierd.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Regardless, i do feel that a director with the knowledge of Batman and with several critical hits under his/her belt would be a safe bet for the fans to know Batman is in good hands.
That director is/was Chris Nolan. I'm worried to see Batman fall into the hands of anyone else

The only director on there who could measure to Nolan's work i.e. not just be hired studio hand, is Aronofsky. I don't see any others bringing a individual vision to the franchise

Semper Fooey
Aronofsky will not be directing the next Batman.

And more than that, Aronofsky is the kinda guy who could give it a different sort of feel than it's had. Not terribly different, since the darker feel he seems to prefer fits the Batman franchise like a well-fitted kevlar biweave glove, but surely something we haven't quite seen before.

And that matters, because the temptation will be (understandably) strong to pick a semi-newcomer without a strong individual style that'll just pick up where Nolan leaves off. And that wouldn't necessarily be terrible, either. But it's less likely to be fantastic, too.

I'd rather see a director pick it up because they have something THEY want to say with the franchise/characters and not just be picked by the studio to make another film for the bucks. The majority of those directors make rather superficial Hollywood films that just seem to balance the line between critical and commercial success, which seems to be Forbes criterion

Movie Forums Insomniac
After The Dark Knight Rises, unless the next one is some miraculous, over the top, spectacular, one of a kind Batman film done by a good director, better than Nolan (which I doubt is possible)....I am not interested. Thanks.

one of a kind Batman film done by a good director, better than Nolan (which I doubt is possible)..
Strange that people have declared Nolan as being the ultimate director.
Have people heard of names Like Scorsese?

He's still alive you know. & he could possibly even direct the next Batman film, who knows?

Batman, smatman - it's time for a Harry Potter reboot!