Highest Grossing Movie This Year Domestically?

Tools    

Yes. As I posted above:

There are front page articles on Yahoo that analyze every frame of trailers for TDKR. They just had one yesterday that supposes that characters will die/lose their soul based entirely on the news posters!
I think the fans are absolutely ravenous for TDKR. As long as it's even remotely good, I predict repeat viewers and incredible opening weekend numbers.

I don't think it will be a runaway victory, but I predict The Dark Knight Rises on top in the end.

EDIT: I can predict, however, with absolute certainty, that TDKR will stomp The Dark Knight's numbers.

Those are almost the same prediction, though. The Avengers is on pace for something a bit north of The Dark Knight's $533 million domestically. Maybe as high as $600 million. It'd be hard for TDKR's total to be close to The Avengers, but also way above TDK's. Though I guess it depends on what you mean by stomp.

Those are almost the same prediction, though. The Avengers is on pace for something a bit north of The Dark Knight's $533 million domestically. Maybe as high as $600 million. It'd be hard for TDKR's total to be close to The Avengers, but also way above TDK's. Though I guess it depends on what you mean by stomp.
I was thinking more along the lines of overall box office on the "stomping" side. I think The Avengers is going to end a few hundred million over TDK and TDKR will pass them both.

I was also more basing it on current trends for comic book/popular franchises. Look at Spider-Man, Transformers, and X-Men for example. The thirds in those franchises have made more than the films that came before. The Dark Knight Rises will, no doubt, surpass both the previous films in the franchise.

Oh, I don't doubt that DKR will surpass The Dark Knight. But whether it can gross more than the $1,4 billion that Avengers will make (at the VERY least) is highly doubtable.

Even if it does as well as Transformers: Dark of the Moon did (gross about 300 mil more than its predecessor), it'll STILL fall short of Avengers.

It won't be close.

Here's why I think TDKR will make more money than The Avengers. Literally every little detail about that film that gets released to the public is deserving of a news article and/or analysis. The hype for this film (according to my hype meter ) is pretty darn high. That, plus the fact that I don't know any people who honestly didn't like The Dark Knight. Well, at least the people who do say they don't like it all sound like anti-conformist poopy-faces who would rather sit in their darkened bedrooms listening to Morrissey and pretending like they don't like all the things the rest of us like; things like pizza and Nolan's Batman.

Here's why I think TDKR will make more money than The Avengers. Literally every little detail about that film that gets released to the public is deserving of a news article and/or analysis. The hype for this film (according to my hype meter ) is pretty darn high. That, plus the fact that I don't know any people who honestly didn't like The Dark Knight. Well, at least the people who do say they don't like it all sound like anti-conformist poopy-faces who would rather sit in their darkened bedrooms listening to Morrissey and pretending like they don't like all the things the rest of us like; things like pizza and Nolan's Batman.

I don't know if I trust your hype meter when you are probably the biggest hype on there, lol.

I don't know if I trust your hype meter when you are probably the biggest hype on there, lol.
Hey now, watch it! The BB hype is almost immeasurable! It's like the sun, if you stare at it too long I can't be responsible for permanent damage!

i'm not even sure what that means...

Oh so your saying you the sun now, eh? lol

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
TDKR hype is not on the same level as what TDK had. The viral campaign for TDK is unprecedented. TDKR will make some dough, don't get me wrong. But it will not match Avengers, I even have doubts it will match TDK.

Domestically and Internationally The Avengers is the winner.

When the dust settles, I will re-quote this post for you BB.

Suspect's Reviews

Killing Batman is going to piss enough people off that they won't recommend it or watch it twice, IMO.

And I strongly believe Noland will kill Batman.

TDKR hype is not on the same level as what TDK had. The viral campaign for TDK is unprecedented. TDKR will make some dough, don't get me wrong. But it will not match Avengers, I even have doubts it will match TDK.

Domestically and Internationally The Avengers is the winner.

When the dust settles, I will re-quote this post for you BB.
1) You realize you are saying this despite the fact that every superhero franchise (with the exception of Superman 3) has gone up in box office, right? That includes Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, and Batman and Robin despite terrible reviews.

2) Hype and marketing are two completely different things. A viral campaign isn't needed for TDKR.

You're wrong though.

None of the Batman sequels matched the Box Office of the first (excluding Nolan films). Same as Spiderman, the original made the most money. The only one you got right is X-men.

It's also worth noting that some of the films that did make more only made a little more, despite making it several years later. Inflation-adjusted, they didn't actually do as well.

Anyway, all the arguments for TDKR are about why it'll make a lot of money (which I think we all acknowledge) and why it might make the kind of money The Avengers is basically already making. Hype is of marginal value here, I think, for three reasons:

1) It's not really measurable.

2) Fervency and dollars aren't the same thing. I was more excited about TDKR than I was The Avengers, but I'll probably end up spending the same amount of money (two tickets' worth) on both.

3) We're talking about splitting hairs amongst historic blockbusters. We already know that one of these two films is going to be a massive hit, a worldwide phenomena that helps reshape the industry and change its financial fortunes for the calendar year...and still gross less than the other. This kinda throws most of the arguments for either out the window.

You're wrong though.

None of the Batman sequels matched the Box Office of the first (excluding Nolan films). Same as Spiderman, the original made the most money. The only one you got right is X-men.
Spider-man made $821 million WW and Spider-man 3 made $890 million. Batman numbers were wrong, I must have been thinking of something else!

Domestically it didn't touch the original.

Also, TDK only cracked 468 million from foreign sales, Avengers was over 700. TDKR just doesn't have the same momentum that TDK had.

It won't beat opening weekend and it won't beat overall, Domestically or Internationally. I predict TDK to be the 2nd biggest film of the year.

Every movie that has come out after Avengers has under performed. Unless you are Batman or an Avenger, you pretty much won't be breaking records. Sorry Amazing Spiderman.

Domestically it didn't touch the original.

Also, TDK only cracked 468 million from foreign sales, Avengers was over 700. TDKR just doesn't have the same momentum that TDK had.
It's statements like this that leave me bewildered when reading this thread. How can you say that? I've said repeatedly that every little nugget of info we get about this film is scrutinized and picked apart and shows up on Yahoo's front page. How can you say this film doesn't have the same momentum? IMO, it's blowing away the momentum of The Dark Knight.

It could be that I'm remembering incorrectly or that I'm even more shut off than usual, but DKR isn't even close to TDK in terms of the hype/stories/pics/etc that I'm seeing.

TDK had the most imaginative viral campaign I can ever remember. Ledger's death was a HUGE buzz. Joker being Batman's main villain was a huge component. TDKR doesn't have any of this. I'm hearing more complaints than anything. Most of it about Catwoman.

TDK had the most imaginative viral campaign I can ever remember. Ledger's death was a HUGE buzz. Joker being Batman's main villain was a huge component. TDKR doesn't have any of this. I'm hearing more complaints than anything. Most of it about Catwoman.
Viral campaign does not equal hype. Hype and marketing are two separate things.

In a couple months we will see!

They are more similar than you make it out to be. The amount of people participating in the viral marketing and word of mouth equal hype to me.