Is the 3D worth it?

Tools    

^ Everything jepanic and TheRodent have said, absolutely spot on. Usually it wouldn't bother me because there is a choice but some cinemas now near me are only offering the 3D version and that's extremely unfair.
Mmmhmm. I had this problem when I was trying to watch Prometheus. I was almost forced into watching it in 3D simply because the only 2D showings were in the morning or some **** like that, but as you may know already, things turned out unexpectedly well for me in the end

Anyways, like Nolan said, film photography is ALREADY 3-dimensional. You're not seeing flat images on the screen a la video games like Alex The Kid and Sonic The Hedgehog and suff like that. You're getting a huge depth of field on not only 70mm, but also 35mm as well.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
If 3D was the same price as a standard ticket I wouldn't have a problem. £2.50 extra on the ticket price is the problem.

And there lies another problem, 3D's true motivation, specially those post converted processed films. Only greedy capitalist fookers would want to shoot in a format most people aren't bothered by just to charge people a higher ticket. That stinks.

3D is gimmicky to me, that's all.
I think it may have a place in the Cinema but only for films deserving of it's style. Such as Avatar.

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
It's really all for the money. When it comes down to it, a movie is a movie. And 3D never really did it for me, especially the price

In my opinion 3D is only warranted when, like in the case of Avatar the narrative itself isn't as much the focus of the experience, as the world that James Cameron wanted to immerse the audience in.

...uh the post is up there...

This brings to mind a recent interview with Christopher Nolan (DGA Quarterly 2012 Spring Ed.). He has thus far refused to shoot anything in 3D, and when confronted by Warner Bros about shooting TDKR in 3D he told them no. They tried to pull funding, but he called their bluff.

He goes on to say that movies are already in 3D. Frame composition, depth of field, color pallette, and camera movement all give the audience the impression that the film is in 3D. As a filmmaker myself, I am inclined to agree.

If we think about all the major technological advancements in modern cinema (the ones that are still around - not smell-o-vision), they all enhance the ability of the director to tell a story.

Sound allows us to hear dialogue. Color allows us see the story as the writer and director intended.

3D does not enhance our ability to tell a story in any way. Although I do not see it going anywhere anytime soon, I don't think it will be around forever.

As I've said since this whole thing came back, my brain already allows me to see films in 3D. I've yet to see any of the new 3D films and, so long as they allow the option of seeing the film in 2D (something that some people have already started to complain about, as their cinema hasn't shown the 2D version) then I doubt I'll see anything in 3D. Unless it enhances the film, I truly can't see the point of it.

3d is worth or worthless it depends:-
> pirates of caribbean-4 3d effect used in an about 60% of movie.
>harry potter deathly hallows 3d effect used in an about 70% of the movie.
>in transformers 3rd part 3d effect were used in more then 75% of the movie.
>it also depends on director (in what way he present the movie).

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
It depends on what type of 3D movie you want to see.

If you want to see a movie that uses 3D but doesn't go crazy with it then Prometheus is a good example, that's kinda worth it.

If you're the type of person that wants to see wild 3D effects used for no reason...Resident Evil: Retribution's still playing.

It really depends on if you're into 3D.

I myself saw Avatar in 3d, Prometheus I actually saw in 2d, I seriously doubt I was any less involved. But that is really only where they apply the 3d isn't it, when the fx would benefit.

Cynical 101?

I don't really blame the companies much for somewhat higher prices for 3d; What's wrong with a little profit, at least in comparison with gas prices it is fairly benign. 'Greed is Good'

As far as it being a fad or gimmick, very true. But this is so so very true so so many things (is it not?), from candybars to cigarettes etc,etc. (I also do much like Hershey's Cookies and Cream, it has lasted a good while also!)

i agree with you but don't you think it also depend upon the director perception that ,how he uses this technology so that he can present a breath stopping scene ,and if you are first time watcher 3-d is definitely worth taking.

I have a hard time focusing on the story. 3D is distracting, gives me a headache, cumbersome to wear those glasses... all around unenjoyable. I hope it goes away, as it appears to be.

3D is almost never worth it. I hate that directors are starting to make movies with the assumption people will see it in 3D (like the Great Gatsby). They do it only for profit and not artistic value.

Meh, I really prefer saving that extra 3$ towards watching another movie in theaters (or perhaps buy a DVD) rather than spending it on something that I won't remember and that only exists (in the majority of the cases) in order to generate more profit. That is my personal opinion, but I really haven't been convinced by this technology so far, atleast in theaters.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
No way. Putting those silly glasses on over your glasses sucks. And the only reason you do it is to avoid seeing the double vision on the screen. The filmmaker should bring you into the story with craftsmanship, not novelties like this.

It gives me headaches honestly. And grabs too much attention so I can't really keep up with the plot.
5D is a lot of fun, though.

On the outside looking in.
I'm sick of it, but I'm sure there are kids out there who've never seen a non-3D movie, so it's likely here for some time to come.