Is the 3D worth it?

Tools    

I agree the 3D was unnecessary in Toy Story 3. The film didn't benefit from it and wearing the glasses is just a distraction . Taking kids to see it in 3D didn't go down a storm judging from the amount of kids fiddling with the glasses.
However in the trailer for Sky TV sports Cahill scored an amazing 3D goal

My first 3D film was My Bloody Valentine and I went to watch it alone. The theatre was nearly empty so I really enjoyed the movie. However I've now seen a bunch of 3D movies and the last one was Street Dance 3D. I liked the Step Up 1&2 and I love street dancing so I expected a lot but at the end there was just a few "cool" 3D bits in the movie so it was like watching a 2D movie with more distractions. For now 3D is not worth it. :/

I'm sick of 3D already, I think it only works for some movies as a niche gimmick, other than that it's just an unnecessary distraction.

...uh the post is up there...

There are those who call me...Tim.
If it's native 3D I quite like it. For me it's like model railways and paintings, and I've always liked model railways more.

I just wish those glasses didn't make everything look so dark >

I find it absolutely wrong when movies like Clash of the Titans are converted terribly into 3D...I do feel cheated because of how much it costs for us to see the movie and end up feeling nauseous at the end of it all...because these companies are trying to save dollars on the conversion cost (which is very very high) and make money from us...it is unfair and i strongly believe they should stay away from converting movies into 3D if they cannot make it at least as good as its original 2D version

3D is definitely not worth it. I pretty much hate it with a passion. A fad that comes and goes like it always has for the past 70 years. I would never pay for it and I always hesitate even when I get to watch it for free.

3D is definitely not worth it. I pretty much hate it with a passion. A fad that comes and goes like it always has for the past 70 years. I would never pay for it and I always hesitate even when I get to watch it for free.

Absolutely bang on mate.

'3D' has been marketed for over 100 years, since the very beginning of moving pictures, then it goes away for 20 years and reappears again for the new generation who haven't seen it before.
It has never been any good, and never will be. It's a money making gimmick.

Give till the year 2014 and it'll vanish again till around the year 2030 and sucker a new generation of movie goers in again, into spending money seeing it.

On a personal note, it doesn't even work with me, I've got lazy eye in my right eye, so no matter how much I try, all I see is a fuzzy image. It's utter balls.

Here is my quick rant about 3D(BTW this is a semi old video which some of doesn't apply anymore since you can purchase 3D movies on their own now):

^ Everything jepanic and TheRodent have said, absolutely spot on. Usually it wouldn't bother me because there is a choice but some cinemas now near me are only offering the 3D version and that's extremely unfair.

ilike 3d
it comes right out of the screen at you
water is good

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
Not a fan of 3D at all. And neither does Christopher Nolan. I don't enjoy spending the extra cash like all of you said but another problem with 3D is that you tend to focus on what is in the very center of the screen. Movies like the Dark Knight Rises simply don't allow for that kind of thing, where there is action occurring in the entire scope of the lens. I saw the Avengers in 3D and I honestly couldn't tell a difference.