"Prefer watching movies at Theater rather than at Home"? Y/N.

Tools    

^
Much agreed...

I'd love to see something in the theater... that is... if it was worth watching. I became disillusioned with contemporary cinema a long time ago. Now I'm just sticking to the oldies which I watch on my own home "moderately-sized" screen.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

movie theatre wins hands down

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
We go to theaters occasionally for dating and fun but in most cases, we still watch movies at home.

Depends on the film. Action, blockbusters and really anticipated movies in theater, otherwise at home. I don't like to go out on a date and watch a movie, it's too passive way of spending an evening. Unless it is with a friend.

Of course, I love the big screen, but at a theater, you can't always choose who you are watching the movie with, even at private screenings.
People talk, or make out, spit, throw popcorn, spill drinks, answer the phone, bring along crying babies.... I could go on......
At home, my screen is big enough ( 62" Samsung LCD ) for me to enjoy without distractions or when I choose, with a few select friends.

I prefer to watch movies at home. I guess I'm just a home body. I'm more comfortable without all the annoyances you all mentioned. I have everything I need right there at home, including the bathroom. All I have is a 23'' LCD, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Plus, there's always friends who have larger TV's than mine. I only go to the theater maybe 3 times a year, if it's for something special. I did see Avatar 3D in the theater, and that was well worth the $13.

Depends on the movie, revenge of the sith i had to see in a cinema first.

Despite the amount of talking and cell-phone checking, it's hard to say I'll ever prefer home viewings over the theater. Seeing a film in the theatre is an experience in itself.

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
I agree with Justin completely. I love going to the theatre. I love going to midnight premieres. I spend tons of money seeing movies but I love going to the theatre. I have a spot that is the perfect spot in which to sit and just the environment is great. At home, I'll want to be on my phone or computer and not pay attention as much

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I prefer a theater, but it's damn costly.
Once you actually get to the movie, the theatre is great but the 30 minutes of advertising and trailers are the problem, all of which you can avoid at home.

Unless of course you have one of those SUPER LAME DVD's that force you to watch the trailers without skipping straight to the menu/play.

I've never had a disc that has forced my player to let all the trailers run through, can always fast forwards through them. Never had to play trailers through in my whole dvd/blu-ray playing life. Put it on high speed fast forward and they soon go.

Cinema Theater. Only for films I just HAVE to see on BIG screen, a very small list. I probably wouldn't care if I had a nice Home Cinema system which isn't the case.
But I buy dozens of DVDs/month so I don't bother much going out. AND beer sadly isn't aloud in theaters. lol

Some movies need to be seen in the theater, but prefer home

Depends on the film. A romantic comedy or political satire? Probably at home. Something like Gladiator or The Dark Knight? Definitely at theaters.

As a filmmaker myself - films are most often made with the intent that they will be seen first in a theater - so for films that are heavily visual, they really should be seen in the theater.

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
I prefer to watch movies at the cinema rather than at home but the problem is, I'm married to a born again (and self confessed) dormouse; you put my wife into a comfy seat in a darkened cinema &.... ZZZZZZZZZZZ

I think that maybe why she agreed so readily to my buying a decent 7:1 home cinema amplifier

Sudoku Blackbelt
I have a chronic back, so movie theaters are no longer an option for me. Can't take the lower spine pressure.

I don't think I'd go to the theaters anyhow. I like being able to pause & rewind.

Home or the drive in. I can't smoke in the theater, it's uncomfortable, I have to be able to answer my phone 24/7, and I always want to strangle some rude bastard.