"Prefer watching movies at Theater rather than at Home"? Y/N.

Tools    

I love the cinematic theater - there is nothing else like it. Here you are with a bunch of strangers, spending money on entertainment that you all want to see. The "gasps" and the "laughs" and the "ohhs-n-ahhhs" in unison are quite simply a kind of magic. It does happen less and less often these days, when a mass of people can come together and enjoy the same thing, but it does happen now and then, and when it does it leaves me breathless.
I love this paragraph, because what you just described is exactly the kind of beautiful (and rare) moment of community solidarity that we need.

Nevertheless, I usually find that kind of stuff disruptive.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
For me it depends on the type of movie. Since my wife and I had our daughter, we don't get to the movies nearly as often as we used to. So, when we go, we prefer to see movies that are enhanced by seeing them on the big screen. I would consider these to be anything with great special effects or comedies where being part of the audience adds to the overall experience. Any other films, we tend to wait till they are on DVD and just watch them at home, since in my opinion, it's not necessary to see them on the big screen and watching them at home isn't all that different for me.

Even action films are better for me at home. I feel like I have a better "grasp" on the frame. The ONLY movies that're better in theaters are 3D and that's just... whatever...

This is SO SO WRONG. If you didn't send me that epic picture comment, I would so neg rep you right now, you don't even realize.

The ONLY director whose work I prefer in my own home theater is Ingmar Bergman. He almost always worked in 1:33:1 aspect ratio, so an average widescreen fits the image perfectly. And the movies are so personal and require so much attention that this is almost the only way I can watch his work.

But he's it. Did you ever read my response to your earlier post here? I said Godard would hate you for preferring home over a theater. But I said it more eloquently.

WTF R U SAYIN MAN??? Am I going to go to my local Cinemark and catch Wild Strawberries in theater 12 or something??? We're talking about films in theaters vs. home theater here. Films like Inception and Avatar. Don't tell me you went and watched Throne of Blood on the big screen last Saturday. Don't tell me this. If you do, you're lucky as hell.

I can't see Godard's films getting much better on the big screen either... BUT I'd love to see them regardless. I can't though, and I probably never will.

How can I say I prefer it when I haven't even done it? I was born in 1992 man! Basically all the films made after that that I like were never wide released and all the films that I like before that were impossible for me to see because I was either gestating or a sperm.

It's late here. I'm tired. It's like the SATs. The wrong answer is always that with words like ONLY and NEVER.

WTF R U SAYIN MAN??? Am I going to go to my local Cinemark and catch Wild Strawberries in theater 12 or something??? We're talking about films in theaters vs. home theater here. Films like Inception and Avatar. Don't tell me you went and watched Throne of Blood on the big screen last Saturday. Don't tell me this. If you do, you're lucky as hell.
I live in Chicago homie, there are classic movie houses all over the place. I just saw The Third Man in a theater last month. I saw Gun Crazy and Breakfast at Tiffany's this afternoon at the Music Box.

How can I say I prefer it when I haven't even done it? I was born in 1992 man! Basically all the films made after that that I like were never wide released and all the films that I like before that were impossible for me to see because I was either gestating or a sperm.
Maybe I misinterpreted the thread question. I took the question to mean: Given the choice, would you rather watch a movie in a theater, or that same movie at home? I don't think the point was to say, like, would you rather watch Avatar in theaters, or illegally download it and watch it on your computer? Or, would you prefer to watch Inception in a theater, or a classic Hollywood movie that's not in theaters at your house?

I live in Chicago homie, there are classic movie houses all over the place. I just saw The Third Man in a theater last month. I saw Gun Crazy and Breakfast at Tiffany's this afternoon at the Music Box.

PITTSBURGH YOU ASSSHOLE

Not really my thing. No.

I'm not going to lie. Maybe in the end I would prefer to watch films in the sanctity of my own home, because I get to sit in my PJs and munch on snacks and "laugh out loud" as people say and not be a afraid to bawl if something is sad. Maybe in the end I do prefer the privacy of the home, but, like I said, it's not like I've ever watched my favorite films in that setting, so I don't know. I've only watched marginal films in theaters, and the experience is, well, marginal.

Maybe I misinterpreted the thread question. I took the question to mean: Given the choice, would you rather watch a movie in a theater, or that same movie at home? I don't think the point was to say, like, would you rather watch Avatar in theaters, or illegally download it and watch it on your computer? Or, would you prefer to watch Inception in a theater, or a classic Hollywood movie that's not in theaters at your house?
Its actually a really interesting point. My opinion would fluctuate depending on the film. I was actually sitting in with a mate last week watching Quantum of Solace (Blu-Ray) on a 48" HD TV and it brought me to the conclusion that I really need a new TV, the quality of your home set-up must also impact your decision.

Most definitely. If I have the time and or money I prefer to make a trip to the theater, settle in with some corn, and enjoy a flick on a huge screen with powerful sound. Okay, so my local theater doesn't exactly offer that experience but the screen is large and I enjoy the communal aspect of watching with an audience. The major downsides to the theater are occasionally sitting next to disinterested chatty Kathys and the frigid cold temperatures that many theaters are kept at. If you have a quality cinema near by, and have the extra bread, there are few things more enjoyable more than an afternoon, or evening, at the movies.

I generally prefer watching movies at home, but if I know a movie should be seen for the special effects I'll schlep to the movie theater for it.

If its a movie I want to see & its at the imax,I try to go.Otherwise ill stay at home & watch it on my 42" plasma with a 1,000 watt 7.1 sourround.

I generally prefer watching movies at home, but if I know a movie should be seen for the special effects I'll schlep to the movie theater for it.

i definately agree with this. Movies at home are MUCh better and MUCH cheaper. But if it's a big action flick or one that has generated a lot of buzz (paranormal activity 2) then I tend to spend the crazy money and go to the theater.

I just hate going out and having to deal with INCONSIDERATE ppl!

It all depends on the film
If its an action film then the cinema is the place
But comedy horror and romance are best left on the sofa at home

Its got to be the theater for me. I think the fact that you are sitting among hundreds of people and experiencing their reactions to suspense, humor etc all adds up. In the early 1900s before film making started, you'lld notice that theaters and stage plays were very strong elements of many cultures and value systems and those evidences can still be seen till today.

i too perfer the cinematic experience, but i could do without the cell phone lights, texting, and in house commentary

There's no question that seeing a film on the big screen is the way to go, but it really does depend on who else is in the theatre at the time.

Kathy and I usually wait for a movie to near the end of it's run before venturing to the cinema, and even then we try and pick a showing that will be less crowded. There's nothing worse than inconsiderate people who insist on talking and fiddling with their phones throughout the show.

I also think the big multiplexes have sucked a lot of the charm and character out of the cinema experience with their dull decor and clinical ambience.

We don't have to worry about these things when we sit down for a movie marathon at home. We can snuggle up on the sofa, make our favourite snacks (that don't cost the earth) and pause and rewind for toilet breaks at our leisure if needs be.