"Prefer watching movies at Theater rather than at Home"? Y/N.

Tools    

deathroman13
theater is my favorite choice to watch a movie...
The sound and the screen and the seats are good.
and you can see what other people think of the movie
But the drinks and snacks are expensive.

Its an easy yes at the cinema for me. I dont care how comfortable your couch is or if you have a HD tv, you cannot replicate the experience of seeing a film in a good cinema in your living or bedroom. Specially a film made for IMAX.

I dont know if its because I have always been lucky or what, but I honestly dont think that I have EVER had a bad experience in the cinema. Not one. Almost everybody will either turn their phones off or have it on silent.

I really like the atmosphere in a cinema, specially amongst a large crowd as if there is a part in a film that gets the audience to cheer or laugh, its pretty infectious to me and I end up doing the same most of the time. Its a personal yet unified experience the cinema is. Hard to put into words.

I agree. I prefer movies at hoem due to lower cost and I can pause the movie if I want to plus the saved transportation and crowds and noisy people/kids i the cinema.

A two-year-old what?
New releases in the theatre.
2nd run at home.

Unregistered Illegal User
I have two part time jobs just so i can go the theater, but i equally like watching movies at home. Both different experiences.

Grill me, I dare you!
My Reviews

I think I mentioned this in another thread. Going to the cinema is an experience in itself. It is the whole atmosphere that makes it better for me. The stadium seating, the surround sound, and even the expensive popcorn and soda(that is what a large purse is for)

I choose both. Because I enjoy both. Probably enjoy home a bit more, but I do tend to make an effort to see the big popcorny type movies in the theater at least once.

The only time I think I would enjoy a movie better at home is if I was on a date. Something about watching a movie on a comfortable sofa being held close by your man is just perfection.

I want to see more mergers like Comcast/Universal catch on so that a variety of new movies will be more readily available. On Demand is pretty damn sweet. Nothing beats a good size LCD, the Bose, and a fat ass comfortable sectional.

The only time I think I would enjoy a movie better at home is if I was on a date. Something about watching a movie on a comfortable sofa being held close by your man is just perfection.
Completely agree. Of course, there's always the issue of things getting too cuddly when you really just want to watch the movie.

I watch most films at home though. I love the good snacks and the ability to pause, but I do wish I had a better sound system.

Any of The Lord of the Rings films, Star Wars, Avatar, Cloverfield, The Dark Knight. Possibly Inception, I have not seen Christopher Nolan's latest movie yet.

I prefer watching it at home, because theaters are full of idiots who won't shut the fuk up and ooooo and aahhhh. Plus it's something you HAVE to pay for, whereas home theater stuff is more... let's just say "variable".

I usually like to watch a film at home, unless it's something I just can't wait for, like Kick-Ass or The A-Team. I generally watch more films at home because my cinema only shows the big blockbusters, so I missed out on 'Whatever Works' - my two favourite people - Larry David and Woody Allen.

Yes! I've been wanting to see that one too.

I prefer watching it at home, because theaters are full of idiots who won't shut the fuk up and ooooo and aahhhh. Plus it's something you HAVE to pay for, whereas home theater stuff is more... let's just say "variable".

I think the joy of watching a movie for the first time is an experience meant to be shared with an audience. In many movies, the ooooohhs and aahhhhs are an important part in enjoying a major movie. I remember watching Dark Knight in theaters maybe five times, and every time, the entire audience gasped or laughed when the Joker made the pencil 'disappear,' they were completely in enthralled by the opening bank heist and many other set pieces, and many people literally yelled "Holy Sh*t!! when the truck flipped and Batman drove up a wall on his bat-cycle. Those are some of the fondest memories I have of going to a movie, and they weren't distracting at all. I like to know that others feel as passionately about movies as I do, and it's nice to get feedback on whether or not certain scenes worked for other people.

Also, no matter how high end your theater system is at home, it's no match for a fifty foot screen with superior sound in a darkened room with elevated seating.

A final note, the man in your avatar would strongly disagree with your opinion. Godard, along with most French New Wave directors, absolutely loved going to the cinema. As an adolescent and a young adult, that was his greatest passion, possibly along with philosophy and political discourse. I remember reading somewhere--maybe Richard Brody's Everything is Cinema?--something that has stuck with me. He and Truffaut and some others used to lie down in the front row of a movie house and look up at the screen, believing that sitting closer would allow them to receive the images on screen before everyone else, and bring them a more intimate experience. He loved watching films with an audience.

I feel like certain types of movies are better to see in theaters than others. I'll see a comedy in theaters many times but wait for DVD on a serious drama. I feel like the laughing and crowd reaction can add to a comedy and distractions can sometimes take away from a drama or thriller that is more involved.

When I saw The Hangover on its opening night I really feel like the audience popping and reacting to all of the jokes made it even a more memorable experience. The buzz from everyone while leaving the theater at the conclusion was just crazy. People were hyped. I think watching it for the first time at home wouldn't have been as enjoyable as that.

I find when watching a Movie at the Theatre, where the subject matter is hard to follow, and your full attention is not being paid. I'll get lost in between trying to hold onto a piss, and having some 16 year attendant, tell me, that having my feet slightly balancing on the back chair isn't allowed.

I love the cinema but it's so expensive nowadays.

My living room is more comfortable and the snacks are better than at the movie theater. I can control the sound, eliminate commercials, start the film when I please rather than race to a showing at a set time, pause it if called away, rewind it if I missed something, and read the dialogue across the bottom if the accents are too heavy.

It's cheaper, and the company's better because I pick the audience.

From the few examples of the revived 3-D technology I've seen, I don't miss it at home.

I do miss the grandure of a Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen, but how often does a Lawrence of Arabia come along these days? Most films today are small stories with small actors who fit quite well on small screens. Who really wants to watch yet another car chase in Cinemascope and stereofonic sound?
Couldn't agree more.
---
The damn commercials are so long these days you've slurped your £3.50, 400 mil cup of coca cola before the movie even starts through sheer boredom and then your dying for the toilet all movie.

I love the cinematic theater - there is nothing else like it. Here you are with a bunch of strangers, spending money on entertainment that you all want to see. The "gasps" and the "laughs" and the "ohhs-n-ahhhs" in unison are quite simply a kind of magic. It does happen less and less often these days, when a mass of people can come together and enjoy the same thing, but it does happen now and then, and when it does it leaves me breathless.