Box Office Prediction Quiz (Prizes awarded)

Tools    

Originally Posted by jrs
I came in too late 4 this....how does this go now (exactly)???
Who ever gets the most points, wins 3 free dvds. YAY!

There is still more questions that 7thson has yet to show. Oh and I had no clue Miami Vice was rated R. I think I lost that one with my pick. We'll see though.

The chance for winning the dvds is over sorry. You can still enter for fun though it should be soon. I will have the rest of the results posted today.

and I have no idea if Miami Vice is going to be rated r or not, but I hope it is.

Originally Posted by 7thson

and I have no idea if Miami Vice is going to be rated r or not, but I hope it is.
Yeah I misread that initially and yeah, I'd rather it be rated (R) too.

Results have all been edited in and updated...good luck all.
I'm feeling good about my answers. You can send the dvds to the following address 7thson.

"Escape The Great
#1 First Ave.
Kingdom of Heaven
v11, 111"

Originally Posted by Escape
I'm feeling good about my answers. You can send the dvds to the following address 7thson.

"Escape The Great

#1 First Ave.
Kingdom of Heaven
v11, 111"
OK they are on the way , I hope that wasnt a bogus address though.

OK they are on the way , I hope that wasnt a bogus address though.
Heck no. Perfectly legit I tell ya.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
So you're going to subtract Mission: Impossible III's first week of returns from its overall total? That doesn't seem fair.
Yeah, actually if I would have not counted the first week it would have been even more awful in terms of $$$$. Anyone suprised at the lackluster start the season has gotten off too. Poseidon is doing pretty bad also, but that is no suprise. Is the season getting off to a late start or is it a trend? The slow start actually may mean better "takes" for other movies coming out. Also the public schools ending their year will have some inpact as it always does.

Yeah, actually if I would have not counted the first week it would have been even more awful in terms of $$$$. Anyone suprised at the lackluster start the season has gotten off too. Poseidon is doing pretty bad also, but that is no suprise. Is the season getting off to a late start or is it a trend? The slow start actually may mean better "takes" for other movies coming out. Also the public schools ending their year will have some inpact as it always does.
I think a big part of it is the "Summer" movie season simply starts too early now. Last year it was Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven and the long awaited Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that opened to fairly decent reviews but extremely disappointing box office in early May. By the time Episode III and Madacascar opened at the end of the month - which used to be the traditional time for the blockbuster season to begin - they both did gangbusters and were two of the biggest films of the year. This idea of jump-starting the season at the beginning of May just isn't working out. A week before Memorial Day is okay, but when you start going two or three weeks early...notsomuch.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Poseidon is doing pretty bad also, but that is no suprise.
That is good for me. Cause it cost 150 million to make and I believe I said it would be that movie that would loose the worse in terms of profit margin.

Originally Posted by Escape
That is good for me. Cause it cost 150 million to make and I believe I said it would be that movie that would loose the worse in terms of profit margin.

Everyone else did too....

Everyone else did too....
Why didnt you just let me keep on 'believing' i did good huh 7thson? Why?

I know I'm too late, and I'm not even answering them all...but meh, whatever.

1. What movie will be the highest grossing film during this timeframe? (2 points)
I'm gonna go with X-Men 3: The Last Stand.

2. How much will the above film gross? (3 points)
Somewhere a bit north of $300 million domestically. It looks to be a disappointment for the die-hards, but the general populace probably won't care enough to weigh it down.

3. What will be the highest grossing "r" rated movie for this time frame? ( 2 points)
I'll go with a sleeper; Pulse.

4. List the top 5 grossing films. (2 points for each properly positioned film)
  1. X-Men 3: The Last Stand
  2. Superman Returns
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
  4. The Da Vinci Code
  5. Cars
5. Yes or no: will any film break the top ten all time list? (1 point)
Nope.

6. Which film will gross highest over budget? (most profitable) (3 points)
Cars (just $70 million to produce).

7. List the total dollar amount of the top three grossing films. (3 points)
$830 million domestically.

8. Which film will flop the most, lowest profit vs budget (2 points)
Poisedon. Pretty easy choice at any time; a no-brainer now that I've waited this long to post my choices.

9. What will be the highest grossing film for the following months (2 points for each right answer):
I'm assuming that means "highest grossing film released in each of the following months," in which case...
  • May X-Men 3: The Last Stand
  • June Superman Returns
  • July Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
  • August Snakes On A Plane (though the pickings are a bit slim this far out)
10. What film will have the biggest opening day total? (2 points)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand

11. How much will the above film gross on opening day? (3 points)
$35 million.

Some of these might be more accurate because I dragged my feet in responding, but most are related to films that still haven't been released, and are quite a ways off.

I might be lowballing some of these (everyone else seems to think at least one film will near $400 million), but a lot of the blockbusters have had developmental problems, or have been rushed. I don't know if we're going to see an historic hit this summer; just a long line of solid popcorn flicks. That's my guess, but I suppose we'll see.

A few other potential sleepers to keep an eye on: The Break-Up, which could sneak past $100 million domestically rather quickly, and A Scanner Darkly, which is probably too niche to explode, but could be a modest success.

Originally Posted by Yoda
A few other potential sleepers to keep an eye on: The Break-Up, which could sneak past $100 million domestically rather quickly, and A Scanner Darkly, which is probably too niche to explode, but could be a modest success.
Yeah, that scanner darkly may do very well actually. Looks very unique and that is what allot of people want nowadays with all the remakes etc. Something that stands out. Although "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was different too but I believe, from this site I looked it up on, that it says it only made a Worldwide take of $57,846,375.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Why did TIM put Poisedon for both, biggest flop and profit???

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Why did TIM put Poisedon for both, biggest flop and profit???

He was just trying to post "willy-nilly" he didnt care..... but I had too include it cause he was third best....least he didnt say "Forest Hump II" was gonna be best grossing movie. For some reason two people said that.?

Well...

1. What movie will be the highest grossing film during this timeframe? (2 points)
I'm gonna go with X-Men 3: The Last Stand.
It's looking fairly likely that I'm going to be right about this...

2. How much will the above film gross? (3 points)
Somewhere a bit north of $300 million domestically.
...but probably a little off about that...

10. What film will have the biggest opening day total? (2 points)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
...but right about this...

11. How much will the above film gross on opening day? (3 points)
$35 million.
...and wrong about that.

Friday estimates for X-Men 3: The Last Stand: $45 million. The all-time single-day record is $50 million (held by Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith).

Whether or not X-Men 3 has legs remains to be seen, but even if the opening is an utter supernova, it's still going to cruise past $300 million domestically. So odds are, based on this single day of data, that I'll be right about it being the biggest film of the summer, but wrong about whether or not any film would enjoy a breakout gross.

Quick update: X-Men: The Last Stand has had nothing in the way of "legs," and currently sits at $215 million. It'll stay out there a few more weeks, I suppose, and possibly finish with $225-$230 million. This is actually quite remarkable, given its opening. The nature of the film indicated that it would be highly front-loaded, but this is quite extreme.

Still, that's the way it is. Odds are Superman Returns will outperform it fairly handily given its advance reviews, though it remains to be seen whether or not we'll have any major breakout hits this year.

Also, looking over some of the earlier entries, I think there might have been some jokes (or some oversights). For example, people listing $80 or $90 million as a prediction for "highest opening day." Perhaps they thought it was "highest opening weekend"? Also, I think Holden predicted $375 million for Superman Returns, which would place it 8th all-time, but also predicted that no film would crack the Top Ten.

Anyway, we usually see something new and surprising every year; perhaps this year it's the raw speed with which X-Men has fallen after opening so strongly.

Still, that's the way it is. Odds are Superman Returns will outperform it fairly handily given its advance reviews, though it remains to be seen whether or not we'll have any major breakout hits this year.
I had Superman Returns in there as the Highest Grossing film for a few days, but when it came time to email it in, I quickly changed it to "The Davinci Code". Looks like i'm not gettin' points on that deal.