The State of Netflix

Tools    

For some reason Netflix has become really frugal with new films, no?

Duplicate Account (locked)
I really don't know how to rate Netflix, i can't honestly rate them any worse than the other streaming services because a lot of their stuff is mediocre as well, but i definetly agree that it's hard at times on Netflix to find decent content. I also really despise how they removed the fact that you could write your own reviews of their content, with the totally lame excuse that "it wasn't used that much". Now, it's all just the boilerplate algorithmic "thumbs up finger" vs. "thumbs down finger".

I quitted streaming services in general. Usually, when I watch something on Netflix, is when I'm with my mom and she choose something. I prefer buying digital copies or blu-rays or rent a digital.

To be honest, I believe Netflix is terrible.

To be honest, I believe Netflix is terrible.

It is. It's like a cleverly disguised Walmart bargain bin.

I personally think Pluto TV is better that Netflix, however, it has so far failed in terms of reliability with my smart phone which i use for chomecasting. It has something to do with the programming, because i can sit here and watch Pluto TV on my desktop...yet my desktop is more designed for an office/gaming type of ordeal, so i can't really use it in the same way i can with netflix.

There are some things on Netflix that are golden, and there are some that are mediocre but are entertaining enough for me to get addicted to it...for example, i love watching "into the night" even though the script writing is very questionable. The concept of running from the sun is just sooo fun in my book. It's way better than "Manifest", one of those things not worth watching in my opinion.

If Netflix weren't removing so much good old stuff due to copyright reasons, then i would say they are a good streaming service overall...but i guess with $8.99 a month there's going to be some very frustrating aspects for the consumer.

The trick is not minding
Tubi and Amazon are my go to, but that’s because of the quality of older films available. I can go to Tubi right now and see about 7 films from Fritz Lang, a film from De Sica, 1 from Visconti, about 5 from Bunuel (Amazon also has a few of his streaming), 2 from Rohmer, and so on. *

Amazon has about 4 films I’ve watched from Satyajit Ray this past year alone, with a 5th available yet. I can quite often catch Truffaut streaming on Amazon as well. *

Need to look closer at Pluto, yet.*

Regardless, the above mentioned are clearly better in terms of what they have to offer, over Netflix.

Tubi and Amazon are my go to, but that’s because of the quality of older films available. I can go to Tubi right now and see about 7 films from Fritz Lang, a film from De Sica, 1 from Visconti, about 5 from Bunuel (Amazon also has a few of his streaming), 2 from Rohmer, and so on. *

Amazon has about 4 films I’ve watched from Satyajit Ray this past year alone, with a 5th available yet. I can quite often catch Truffaut streaming on Amazon as well. *

Need to look closer at Pluto, yet.*

Regardless, the above mentioned are clearly better in terms of what they have to offer, over Netflix.
I do think tubi is pretty good overall.

maybe netflix is on its way out at this point, i actually decided to cancel it again because it's chromecast isn't very well programmed...you can knock VHS and DVD all you want, but rewinding and pausing are incredibly easy compared to anything computer based.

EDIT: I just sat down and tried watching the rest of the episode of a documentary on netflix, and it brought me back to the beginning the episode, the same problem i had before...it must take an awfully dedicated fan or desperate person to continue paying for this. Hopefully, they won't bill me again.

Netflix is evidently having financial troubles. With streamers such as Disney, Paramount and others pulling their movies from Netflix to use exclusively on their own platforms, plus with Netflix's diminishing subscriber base, they're increasingly having to rely on their own generated content.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ne...ophic-guidance

The Adventure Starts Here!
Frankly, I would think generating one's own content would be expensive and time-consuming compared to paying for rights to use/air content created by others. No? I remember clearly when premium channels like HBO first started creating their own series: it was mostly so that people *had* to subscribe to get their exclusive content/series. The Sopranos, for example, seemed to net very loyal subscribers to HBO who wanted to watch that series. If you time the airing of several series back to back, it'll keep subscribers better than simply airing movies all the time.

I always find fun stuff to watch on Netflix. I was just starting a new series this evening, as a matter of fact. It's Netflix-created, and I can't watch it anywhere else. I thought that was mostly the point of any channel doing that. I tend to think a channel has become *more* successful if they've hit a point where they can afford to start creating their own movies and content. HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu... they all do it after a while.

The breathless headlines about this are little better than clickbait. They don't have financial troubles, or a dwindling subscriber base. They're still adding subscribers and their business model is fine, they're just not growing as quickly as before. The "trouble" is purely about the stock price, and the stock price was reflecting growth.

To you and me, though, that doesn't matter that much, because Netflix doesn't have to keep growing at that insane breakneck speed to still be Netflix "as we know it." In other words, for people projecting insane growth years into the future and investing accordingly, this is some cold water, but for your average person who just subscribes to Netflix, there's nothing worrisome here.

Anyway, yes, creating your own content is much more expensive, but it's also permanent. They saw the writing on the wall, realized other places were either going to charge exorbitant amounts, start their own streaming services with their catalogues, or both.

You ready? You look ready.
I’m so glad I don’t have Netflix anymore. The disappointment with that service was too much to bear.

Still did get some good content out of its early years. Nothing in the world will make me pay the prices they want now. Content just isn’t there anymore.

A system of cells interlinked
We have enjoyed some of the recent Netflix content, but a friend of ours let's us use her log-in, so it's free for us...

We had canceled it we were paying for it!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The movies can get thin at times, but they make up for it with series runs that I can binge. Currently rewatching ST:tNG and I'm mid-season 2.

The breathless headlines about this are little better than clickbait. They don't have financial troubles, or a dwindling subscriber base. They're still adding subscribers and their business model is fine, they're just not growing as quickly as before. The "trouble" is purely about the stock price, and the stock price was reflecting growth.

To you and me, though, that doesn't matter that much, because Netflix doesn't have to keep growing at that insane breakneck speed to still be Netflix "as we know it." In other words, for people projecting insane growth years into the future and investing accordingly, this is some cold water, but for your average person who just subscribes to Netflix, there's nothing worrisome here.

Anyway, yes, creating your own content is much more expensive, but it's also permanent. They saw the writing on the wall, realized other places were either going to charge exorbitant amounts, start their own streaming services with their catalogues, or both.
I’m fine with Netflix. Still have DVDs shipped to me. And then I go in & out of their streaming service. About to go back in for the final season of “Ozark” plus a huge list of stuff I’ve been accumulating that I also want to stream from them.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I spend way too much money on these things.

I've got Netflix, Shudder, Disney, Prime, Crave (HBO) and yes....even Cable.

Suspect's Reviews

I spend way too much money on these things.

I've got Netflix, Shudder, Disney, Prime, Crave (HBO) and yes....even Cable.
Yeah, I've got Netflix, Hulu, HBO MAX, cable, and Dropout.

Decent chance I'll drop cable in the next couple of years, but not yet. Still watch enough news, network stuff (Hulu has a lot of it, albeit next day) and sports, in particular. But it's only a matter of time, since the cost of the cable pays for like four or five streaming services by itself.

Yeah, I've got Netflix, Hulu, HBO MAX, cable, and Dropout.

Decent chance I'll drop cable in the next couple of years, but not yet. Still watch enough news, network stuff (Hulu has a lot of it, albeit next day) and sports, in particular. But it's only a matter of time, since the cost of the cable pays for like four or five streaming services by itself.
Do you stay permanently in the streaming services or go in & out like I do? I will never stay in a streaming service if they have nothing I want to watch. I think it’s terrific that you can go in & out one month at a time without penalty.