The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Looking good, I have seen Tucker and Dale and enjoyed and Wilder's one two three which I liked

Also Takoma HAS seen Mitchels. I mentioned it in my review of it and she listed it in this thread
Thanks Ed and also Cricket who just helped me out. I really do need the help, as this is turning out to be way harder than an HoF for me to manage...but I'm having fun too

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks Ed and also Cricket who just helped me out. I really do need the help, as this is turning out to be way harder than an HoF for me to manage...but I'm having fun too
If anyone can do it you can

If anyone can do it you can
I am learning from my mistakes, ha. The harder part is that this is open to all movies so I'm dealing with big list of movies with titles going to each of us and of course a lot of us have seen some of these...Well it will all get ironed out.

Paddington 2 (2017)
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (2001)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
The Ruling Class (1972)
Beerfest (2006)
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
Death Race 2000 (1975)
Super (2010)
The Toxic Avenger (1984)

Good choices, only seen three.

Paddington 2 (2017)
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (2001)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
The Ruling Class (1972)
Beerfest (2006)
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
Death Race 2000 (1975)
Super (2010)
The Toxic Avenger (1984)

Good choices, only seen three.
How about these:
Slap Shot (1977)
Buffalo 66 (1998)

Waiting on a message for the 3rd one.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
I've heard of this. Thought it was a horror but a quick look and I see it's a horror/comedy.

With Honors (1994)
I know it stars Brendan Fraser

Ocean's Eleven (1960)
Only seen the remake but I've always been interested.

Don't Look Up (2021)
My wife and I were planning on watching it already.

Chicken Run (2000)
I know it's on the animation list.

Haven't heard of the rest-
Quo Vado (2016)
Blade of the Immortal (2017)
Don't Talk to Irene (2017)
Wrong (2012)

Cricket watches:
With Honors (1994)
I'll be interested to see what @cricket thinks of this. I kind of suspect he won't like it, but kind of hope I'm wrong.

I've always loved it, but I have a soft spot for 90s Brendan Fraser. I also absolutely adore the soundtrack (that it features a Lindsey Buckingham song doesn't hurt anything). That said though, while it has a significant amount of comedic elements I've always considered it a drama.

Count is off on the recommendations. Should be 10 for all, and I count 9.
Thanks Wylde, there should be 10 shouldn't there I'll get that straightened out, in some cases it's intentional as I removed the already seen movies.

All the Way to Paris, 1966

American diplomat Wellborne (Bob Courtney) and Soviet diplomat Strogoff (Jamie Uys, who also wrote and directed the film) are constantly engaging in petty disagreements at a major international summit. Fed up with their childish bickering, a fellow diplomat (Arthur Swemmer) goads the two men into a race to walk to Paris, about 2000 miles away. Followed by their respective underlings, Tanya (Reinet Maasdorp) and Johnny (Angus Neill), the two make their way across the countryside, reluctantly bonding as they go.

Thank you, mysterious HoF recommender, who realized that this kind of gentle, stupid/smart film was just the right thing for me right now.

I will admit to being a bit nervous when I first came into this film, as I was worried that the comedy might lean a bit too far into farce territory. That, and it felt like the kind of movie where casual racism and sexism would put a damper on the fun.

But nope! This is just the right kind of silliness, and looking up Uys on the IMDb, I see that he is responsible for directing The Gods Must Be Crazy 2 (as well as the original), which was a film we owned on VHS, aka a film my siblings and I watched probably dozens and dozens of times.

The conversations between the two diplomats is basically straight out of my classroom. ("Why did you go *tsk* at me?!" "I didn't go *tsk* at you!" "Yes, you did, you went *tsk* at me!" "Oh, you mean during your speech? Yes, I went *tsk* at you! Do you know how long you were talking?!"). And as they make their journey, their sabotages are equally childish. Much of it consists of switching signs so that someone ends up in the women's section of a hotel instead of the men's; or switching signs so that someone walks the wrong way. Yeah, there's a lot of sign-based meddling.

What really makes the film work is that, despite being grounded in the very real conflict between the USSR and the USA, there isn't much direct commentary on those countries. Instead, the critique is of people who allow division and difference to endanger all of the people who depend on them. It is through sharing an experience and hardship that the two men are finally able to begin to put aside their differences and work together. At the same time, their underlings are reconciling and even beginning a tentative romance. All of this takes place under the watchful eye of the mysterious delegate, whose accent and country of origin seem suspiciously vague.

At the same time, there's some fun humor in the direction of the way that governments will inevitably suck the fun and humanity out of anything. As the journey becomes public knowledge, a panel of Soviet and American workers is put together to create a set of rules for the walkers, soullessly creating a series of regulations to be thrown at the two men. Simple pride means that neither government can have a serious conversation about the contest, becoming overly invested in the silly competition as highly symbolic.

This might be a bit too gentle or whatever for some people, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen :

Happiness (1988)
Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
School of Rock (2003)

They were good picks tho...

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I've seen :

Happiness (1988)
Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
School of Rock (2003)

They were good picks tho...