The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Bambi (1942)
Studio: Walt Disney
Genre: Family Animation
Who do I think nominated it: Ahwell
My reaction:

I was surprised by how dark the themes in Bambi were. I assumed this was a G rated family movie, but in someways it had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever watched. That would be the hunting scene with little Bambi and his mom
That was something I've always loved about the truly older Disney films. That mix of light hardheartedness and darkness with equal dedication.
When I was looking for movies for you I was seriously considering Pinocchio for that reason.

I was surprised by how dark the themes in Bambi were. I assumed this was a G rated family movie, but in someways it had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever watched. That would be the hunting scene with little Bambi and his mom
Disney's pretty notorious for killing off the protagonist's parents in their animated movies, though other studios also do it as an easy way to get audience sympathy. It's one of the reasons why my mom hates these kinds of films.

What I didn't like was how abrupt the ending was. Something was missing for me, especially since the first half of the film focused a lot on Brody's struggle with keeping everyone (the local people, the mayor and his own family) happy. After the giant climax before it, the ending just felt underwhelming.
I dunno dude, the Jaws ending is the only ending I can think of where it's so badass, I legitimately get goosebumps thinking about it.

Also love this scene with the random shooting star

Disney's pretty notorious for killing off the protagonist's parents in their animated movies, though other studios also do it as an easy way to get audience sympathy. It's one of the reasons why my mom hates these kinds of films.
My wife was saddened by that scene, but really liked the more gentile beginning of the movie. I was impressed with how Bambi represented itself as pro animal, which I liked and that reminds me of a film that I might nominated one day in an HoF.

That was something I've always loved about the truly older Disney films. That mix of light hardheartedness and darkness with equal dedication.
When I was looking for movies for you I was seriously considering Pinocchio for that reason.
That would be cool, I need to see these classics. I think I seen Pinocchio at the drive in when I was a little kid in pajamas. But then again and can't image my dad agreeing to watch that

The Abyss
I don't really like James Cameron and 2h50 minutes of this seemed too long even before it starts...It had some redeeming moments of tension that is really well executed but it ends up being lost among the rest, which is a shame because this could have been solid with another edit.
Myself I really liked that film. Especially one scene that gives me the goosebumps (not the very last big scene). But the one where the diver is descending down to the depths of the ocean into pitch darkness and feels a million miles away, as he tries to desperately tap out a last message to his love. That touches me on so many different levels. Maybe because I use to freedive a lot and when you're deep under the ocean's surface there's a feeling of complete isolation and separation from the human world. I haven't even seen that movie in many years, but it's one of the few movie scenes that I think about from time to time.

It's cool that it didn't work for you.

Galaxy Quest 1999 Directed by Dean Parisot

Fun, fun, fun exactly what you need during a quarantine lock-down.
Great Sci-Fi parody comedy adventure.

Clever pick, whoever recommended this probably knows I love my sci-fi series and Sci-Fi in general. Right now I'm thinking maybe CR because he's the only one in this HoF I know for sure is a certified Trekkie.
Ha, I love your opening sentence! I've not seen Galaxy Quest but I've heard about it from GBgoodies she loves it (are we sure she didn't secretly join)...True enough I'm a big fan of Star Trek, well not the latest reboots.

Jaws

(1975)

It manages to be scary long before the shark is shown and exactly that makes it so much better when you finally get to see him.
That has got to be the best description about Jaws that I've read. I think a film's scariness is relative to one's exposure to other horror/thriller films. I'm guessing you've seen a lot of them? When I first seen Jaws it was first run at the movie theater, I went with my parents. I was so scared by the movie, that when walked across the open asphalt payment to the car, I started feeling anxious as if the shark could swim up and bite me. I had to tell myself there are no sharks under the asphalt payment! Silly but true.

Finished Paprika and will have a review probably tomorrow! I agree with everyone about Jaws, it’s a masterpiece that is in my top 20 of all time.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Platoon

A profoundly anti-war film, just the way I like it. I can't explain why I haven't seen this sooner, but I'm glad I did now!
It feels like a kind of a sequence to Apocalypse Now, especially cause Charlie Sheen's dad was the lead on that so it's nice to compare the two perfomances.
I loved the soundtrack, Samuel Barber's Adagio is an amazing choice for this, the acting is great by everyone involved, with the stand outs of Sheen and Dafoe, who is probably the best thing about this film!
Some of the voice over sounded a bit cheesy but it didn't bother me too much.

You're left with this feeling of guilt and hate towards violence and war, and that's exactly what every war movie should try to do!
Thanks to whoever nominated this!

-

The trick is not minding

Bambi (1942)
Studio: Walt Disney
Genre: Family Animation
Who do I think nominated it: Ahwell
My reaction:

I’ve seen a number of Disney films over the years, including the older ones. I enjoyed Pinocchio and Peter Pan, as well as the 90’s renaissance, except Hercules, but Pinocchio and a Peter aren’t exactly among the greatest to me. Bambi and Dumbo probably are, as I feel more sympathetic towards the story, and I need to see them stat!

Platoon

A profoundly anti-war film, just the way I like it. I can't explain why I haven't seen this sooner, but I'm glad I did now!
It feels like a kind of a sequence to Apocalypse Now, especially cause Charlie Sheen's dad was the lead on that so it's nice to compare the two perfomances.
I loved the soundtrack, Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei is an amazing choice for this, the acting is great by everyone involved, with the stand outs of Sheen and Dafoe, who is probably the best thing about this film!

You're left with this feeling of guilt and hate towards violence and war, and that's exactly what every war movie should try to do!

-
You have to guess!

Great flick, glad you thought so too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/16/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame, nominated by someone who wanted to see me suffer
Rewatch: No.

From a visual standpoint, Eyes Wide Shut is a beautiful and interesting film. The colors, the costumes, the lights - they all pop out of the screen to create dazzling imagery.

Unfortunately, nothing else really worked for me. The characters were underdeveloped and unengaging. It had that Paul Thomas Anderson-like quality of featuring sh**y people doing sh**y things to each other while not being sh**y enough to be interesting. What little plot there was felt weak and failed to intrigue me and it dragged on for far too long. And even the sex felt, well, not particularly sexy. The two leads never actually do anything and that was the tamest looking orgy I've ever seen depicted. I also didn't feel any sort of dread or real threat of danger when Dr. Harford was found out and being followed, but maybe that was just because I didn't care.

Thank God you didn't like this. I thought ypuay have strangely, but we on the second page with this.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Platoon

I loved the soundtrack, Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei is an amazing choice for this, the acting is great by everyone involved, with the stand outs of Sheen and Dafoe, who is probably the best thing about this film!

-
You have to guess!

Great flick, glad you thought so too.
Eish, have no idea... I'd say, you?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I’ve seen a number of Disney films over the years, including the older ones. I enjoyed Pinocchio and Peter Pan, as well as the 90’s renaissance, except Hercules, but Pinocchio and a Peter aren’t exactly among the greatest to me. Bambi and Dumbo probably are, as I feel more sympathetic towards the story, and I need to see them stat!
I have a HELLUVA time trying to watch Dumbo just because of HOW MUCH I bawl when he visits his mom when they lock her up. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about that scene.