Russian Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

I assumed that Stalker would get nominated, but I was kind of hoping it wouldn't. I didn't really enjoy rewatching it for the Sci-Fi Countdown, and don't particularly want to watch it again.
You don't have to if you remember it well. I know you already know that just saying as i don't think people should force themselves to watch something they don't like if they remember it well enough.

I liked but didn't love Stalker, thought about it a bunch since though which i think can only be a good sign. Liked but didn't love Cranes Are Flying too, barely remember it.

You don't have to if you remember it well. I know you already know that just saying as i don't think people should force themselves to watch something they don't like if they remember it well enough.
My problem with rewatching it is mostly due to its runtime.

Also when I rewatched it for the Countdown, I had misremembered it as being more...like Annihilation (2018) ended up, I guess. So that was a bit of a disappointment at the time. Maybe I'll like it more a third time around haha.

This is starting to feel a epic but heavy HoF!
Noticing this as well, I bucked the trend and nominated something that, while still having some philosophical leanings, is much lighter (and on the shorter side).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For the record, Cranes was going to be my nom until I went blind. Thank God it's here.

It's kind of stinky I have to watch Stalker again. But I don't remember enough of it to intelligently talk about it so I will. And i would be surprised if it didn't win here.

Let the night air cool you off
Is Tokeza the last one? This won't be bad if it's kept small.
The last confirmed one, but it'll still be open to cat, CR, and cricket if they want to join.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah I'm down with them if they so chose.

I got a lot of 30s to watch yet so I will admittedly be a tad slow but obviously no concerns about me not finishing. I've finished every one I've been in and I'm pretty sure it's more than 25 by now.

Let the night air cool you off
Yeah I'm down with them if they so chose.

I got a lot of 30s to watch yet so I will admittedly be a tad slow but obviously no concerns about me not finishing. I've finished every one I've been in and I'm pretty sure it's more than 25 by now.
I'm not worried, bruh. I trust you.

@TokeZa we still need your nomination, buddy.
I have send you a pm with a nomination.

Of the nominated films i have seen Stalker, The Cranes Are Flying and Leviathan. I dont intend on rewatching any of these as i am currently finishing my thesis in social work. Both Stalker and The Cranes Are Flying are both down my alley, and i regard them as masterpieces. I was quite ambivalent about Leviathan when i saw that, in some regards its to straight forward to be interesting, its still a good movie, though i do not rank Andrey Zvyagintsev as one of the best Russian directors. I tend to like the contemporary Aleksandr Sokurov more, who also seems to push the boundaries for contemporary filmmaking, while Zvyagintsev plays it more safe.

Here is what i wrote about Stalker back in February:

Stalker (1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky

It has been quite some years (maybe 4 or more), since i last saw Stalker by Tarkovsky. It is a very visceral and meditative experience going into a film that mostly works as reflexive lyrical and visual poem. It is a film who constantly ask question without certain answers, which in that regard makes you (me) reflect on the very existence of man. There is a certain modus of alienation and estrangement trough out the film which me in think of the marxist existentialist Jean-Paul Sartre and his work Being and Nothingness. In relation to that it also made me reflect upon Heideggers Sein und zeit, especially the terms being-towards-death and being-in-the-world. I dont see Stalker as much as a sci-fi as a reflection on the existential dispositives of man. A very metaphysical film and a masterpiece as such.