Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Iron Man (1 viewing)

Plot : Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) - multi-millionaire weapon designer : is captured by terrorist during a new weapon demonstration. He invents a robotic iron suit to escape the terrorist and once he gets back to America , he is a changed man.

Story : Although I do know of Iron Man - what he looks like , his back story. I've never read an Iron Man comic , nor can I tell you a single one of his enemies - so I couldn't go through this movie saying "hey it's that guy". That aside , the movie is played out very well and owes a lot to it's cast. Tony Stark arrives back in the U.S and announces that his weapons manufacturing company will no longer make weapons - this does not go over well with his business partner Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) who tries his best to take Stark out of the picture. Though I did "like" the majority of the movie - the amazing stuff starts happening once his new Iron Man suit is complete.

Visuals : This is a very mixed bag visual movie. On one hand you got some very good camera work that captures the environment and characters , but sometimes you get bombarded with close ups or very sub-par camera angles. Once you are viewing the CGI parts though - all these problems disappear and the movie looks amazing (including the great action scenes). I only wish that director Jon Favreau could make the whole film look like that.

Synopsis : A very well acted super-hero movie makes up for the sometimes very poor visuals - but once you add the amazing CGI action scenes on top of this : you get a very entertaining movie.

Collateral (1 viewing)

Plot : Max (Jamie Foxx) has been a cab driver for 12 years , his future of wanting to make his own Limo business is very unclear - when he doesn't want to risk much. But , his next two clients might change his mind.

Story : The movie develops Max in such a great way for the beginning of the movie : once Vincent (Tom Cruise) steps into his car , I really feel sorry for him. Vincent offers Max an extra couple hundred dollars to drive him around the city for the night - but it's not long until Max realizes that Vincent is actually a hit man and Max is driving him to his targets. An underlying theme which I thought was great , is the people of the city don't help one another - and that sets the perfect environment for this movie.

Visuals : The high up shots of the taxi are incredible , as well as pretty much every shot in this movie. Everything is lined up and sets up the moods you go through along the film : the crowded and confusing club to the isolating subway car. All areas with their own signifigance and all shot with a master's eye.

Synopsis : Another perfect action film by Micheal Mann , great in every aspect.

I am not a great fan of this movie Glad you liked it Meatface

Welcome to the human race...
I'd only give it
or
, myself. Even you have to admit that the ending was ridiculous, meat.

Welcome to the human race...
Collateral of course (Iron Man had a pretty decent ending).

WARNING: "Collateral" spoilers below
Seriously, what are the odds that Max, a nonviolent cabbie, could kill Vincent, a trained professional hitman? It was asking a fair bit of the audience.

I didn't feel like it was a cheap ending at all. So many things are said with the ending.

1. Max unleashes his pent up rage and energy on Vincent.

2. No-one in the city interferes with the entire final battle between the two (furthering the desolate and isolated themes of the movie)

3. Vincent may have let Max win the shoot-out.

4. Max finally takes a risk.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Collateral of course (Iron Man had a pretty decent ending).
I did like Iron Man's ending...

just the last line was good

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
response to your spoiler:

1. I have never seen Collateral just so you know but this is basing off of what you said

WARNING: "About #3" spoilers below

about #3. I don't think so, why would Vince let him win? Was Vince suicidal?

Vincent may have just finally felt guilty about all the people he killed , espicially when he got to know Max so well.

Hard Eight (2 views)

Plot : John (C. Reilly) has just lost all of his money in Vegas and now he sits outside of a restaurant out in the desert. That is until Sydney (Phillip Baker Hall) convinces John to come with him back to Vegas and become a professional gambler.

Story : This is a character driven movie. Each actor plays their own character brilliantly and the twists of the story are that much better just because your so interested with these realistic characters. Sydney take cares of John similarly as a father would - the two have a good thing going on in Vegas , until two mysterious others enter the story. Clementine (Gwyneth Paltrow) part-time waitress and prostitute on the side. Then you got , Jimmy (Samuel Jackson) - one of John's friends that gambles with him , and knows about Sydney's past.

Visuals : All the care that you are used to seeing from Anderson's future films - is all here. The movie like any of his films , are a parade of incredible shots and eye candy. But this being the huge character driven film that it is - leaves much to the actors. Their facial expressions and actions drive your emotions through the movie and I say they do a great job.

Synopsis : A great movie about friendship - played out like a drama movie , but the characters are so entertaining that you can barley notice there is a mystery underneath.

Water Lilies (1 view)

Plot : Set in the suburbs outside of Paris - three girls discover different forms of love.

Story : The movie starts with Marie seeing Florianne at a synchronized swimming competition. Florianne has no friends in her swim team and her reputation proceeds her as a slut. Though Marie falls in love with her despite the fact Florianne claims she is heterosexual (and meets with her boyfriend in front of Marie). The third girl is Anne , who is Marie's friend. Anne is also in love - with a boy who's on a swim team.

The dialogue really makes the entire film here - and it is very convincing and the actors all do their even part. The only problem I had with this story - is the way it ends so quickly. Not that it's a bad ending to the film - it just happens very suddenly.

Visuals : Swimming is like a background component working for this movie and it really works well at providing the area for the movie to happen. You never once see the character's parents or hardly any adults at that. Which is just another thing to you get in the frame of mind for this film. The romantic and sexual scenes definitely the most thought deposited into them , as they play some of the biggest emotional changes in the story.

Synopsis : A very hard edged film - that forms it's characters with great dialogue : though it's sudden ending may have you feeling like you missed a part of the story.

Punch Drunk Love (2 views)

Plot : Barry Egan (Adam Sandler) runs his own business , he's very shy , and he has a lot of sisters who seem to get under his skin. But , suddenly once he meets Lena (Emily Watson) - he pushes everything aside for her.

Story : This film is done in a very different beat than other films - especially Anderson's. Once you see Adam Sandler as Barry Egan , it's not even possible to imagine anyone else could play him. The majority of the movie you keep discovering things about Barry and why he acts the way he does. I would call this movie a drama , but it's a very funny one.

Visuals : Barry is always wearing this blue suit , which is part of the color scheme of the movie and it looks awesome. The movie always maintains it's modern look and goes to the beat of the background music at most times. A part I really enjoyed are his violent bursts that destroy the scenery around him. The whole film though is a visual treat.

Synopsis : Adam Sandler is Barry Egan and that is a fun character to see in this story - top it off with the amazing visual style and this is an amazing movie.

Punch Drunk Love (2 views)

I'm glad you liked this. It's one of my favorite movies.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Lars and the Real Girl (1 view)

Plot : Lars (Ryan Gosling) is a lonely man who lives right next to his brother. His brother and her wife take a sudden interest into his need to be isolated - until he shows up with his new girlfriend Bianca.

Story : The idea of this movie interested me at first , but after viewing this movie - I realized how small of an idea it really is. He gets a fake doll who is very realistic looking and pretends she is his girlfriend. This sets up the rest of the movie about him being lonely and unable to communicate with others , this movie takes full advantage of it's bizarre situation and that isn't enough.

Even if Ryan Gosling is really good in his role , he can't save this movie from falling flat on it's face. It reminds me of so many gimmick comedies and fails to succeed as a film rather a one time joke.

Visuals : Aside from the couple of scenes where the Bianca doll looks like a real person , there isn't much to brag about here. They pretty much do all they can with the boring story that is given.

Synopsis : Feels like a cheap joke - that tried to become a serious movie and failed. Gosling is great , but he's crushed by this weak story.

I really enjoy these reviews