Lennon's reviews!

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I liked how you had a bit for "What others though" on the Hulk.

Nice review of Death Sentence too, I had the same opinions on it, but not as harsh.

Suspect's Reviews

Lets put a smile on that block
Mars Attacks

"Martians. Ha ha. Funny looks little critters, aren't they?"
I LOOOOOOVE THIS FILM! Good review

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Be Kind Rewind

"You name it, we shoot it"

It's no secret that in today's Hollywood, there are a lot more remakes then ever before. this movie makes fun of them, but keeps it's heart.

Jack Black does start as his usual zany self. You know, that guy you think needs ADHD medicine but never takes any and winds up running down the street naked (true story.) Well, instead of being naked Black just becomes magnetized, which if you don't know, is bad because it will erase the video tapes. Once this happens Jack becomes calmer and doesn't do anything more zany. His character probably changes the most and plays well off of Mos Def.

The story is nothing too teriblly new, it is basically about that feeling of nostalgia and good vs. evil. The good being our heroes Mos Def, Jack Black and Danny Glover, the bad being the condo people trying to demolish the building (damn, why must it always be the condos!?) the sweeds are funny and are worth watching. It all went by too quick. I also thought the solution to Jack's problem went by too quick and if you literally blink, you might miss it. Also, it does change tones a lot, going from drama to comedy then vice versa, after the remakes it got all serious that's when I lost a lot of my intrest. Michel Gondry does need help from some people to write another Academy Award winning script.

As said before, a lot of the acting is done well and some is done bad. Mos Def is probably one of the best rappers turned actors ever (next to Marky Mark, yes I consider him rap .) But, I thought Melonie Diaz isgiven a bit too much and her acting wasn't too great. Danny Glover and Mia Farrow aren't given much to work with and should've had bigger parts. It was pretty mediocre all around.

I did however like the "sweed" idea and I really want to do it as soon as I get my hands on a video camera (mine broke.) So big points for giving me something to do on the weekends.

As for my favorite "sweed" I really liked Boyz n the Hood. Just hearing Jack say "WHAT'S HAPPENING TO OUR HOOD!?" is hilarious!

Rating:
Cute.

Kung Fu Panda

"Everybody was Kung Fu fighting!"

Awesomeness. Simple awesomeness! Of all the movies I have seen so far this decade, this has to be in the top 5. The story was predictable but good, the casting was excellent, the jokes were there, and there were true heartfelt moments.

As said before, the story was a bit predictable. The typical fish out of water becoming great tale, but you know what, it isn't the end of the world. I would take another fish out of water story then a cookie cutter Hollywood movie any day. It does throw you a few curveballs but not too many. Even though I don't care much, the rest of the movie makes up for it.

The main thing that makes up for the predictable (but forgivable) story line is the casting. Jack Black was practically born to be Po, and anyone else doing his role would be a crime against cinema! Dustin Hoffman's casting is also very well done, his voice makes Shifu sound old and wise, as his character is. And would it be a Kung Fu movie without Jackie Chan, he plays the monkey, sadly it is a nothing role and anyone could have played him, but it is nice to see Chan in something other than the Rush Hour franchise. If you must know what the worst casting was, that goes to Ian McShane as Tai Lung, McShane does sound older than Tai is supposed to be, but it won't be that distracting. Still, job well done on the casting, 2nd best part of the movie.

The jokes were the absolute best part of the movie. Kung fu movie fans will get a kick out of the kung fu references, even the opening scene was a parody of about every kung fu movie ever made. The kids might not get the references but that doesn't mean they won't laugh, there are a bunch of kids jokes and Po is really funny and a panda I would hang out with any day of the week. My personal pick for the funniest scene, Po trying to watch the dragon warrior being picked. Tell me that chair isn't awesomely funny. Hell, tell me the whole movie isn't funny!

Even with it's great comedy, it does have a few really touching moments. By the end of it, you can tell every character cares and loves one another. Shifu and Po's relationship almost made me cry. It was just so well done!

Call me crazy, but I did feel like I was in this fictional animal universe. The movie sucked me in and still hasn't let me go. Maybe it was the beautiful computer animation, seen on IMAX. The images don't have a word strong enough to describe how beautiful they are!

Dreamworks has finally matched Finding Nemo. I don't care if it is 3 am right now where you are, run don't walk to this movie!

Rating:
One of the best animated, no one of the best movies of the decade period. Wall•E has a tough act to follow.

P.S. Wait until after the credits, the scene is really touching.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm glad you liked it so much, but can you clarify something? What was the best part of the movie again, the casting or the jokes?

What was the best part of the movie again, the casting or the jokes?
If I were to pick, the jokes. Because the casting sadly gave Jackie Chan a nothing role.

Wall•E

(no quote available)

In today's Hollywood, few studios have such a good reputation as Disney's Pixar animation studios. They have come up with the best stories and get some of the most talented computer artists to animate their characters. They are also known for their great scripts, this movie however, has minimal dialogue. Most of the sounds you hear are either robot sounds made by Ben Burtt, or straight dialogue made from mixing ordinary objects, sounding like words. Even for people who want dialouge, I think this movie will keep Pixar's reputation going.

Another trademark of Pixar is having a little cartoon short before the movie. In my opinion they go into two categories, great (Geris' Game) and really great (my all time favorite, Knick Knack.) What can I say, I love every short, and bought them all on DVD. The short before Wall•E called Presto about a magician and his bunny who only wants a carrot, would be characterized as really great, probably my 3rd favorite of all time. The animation is great and I like physical comedy, just seeing the magician get zapped, hit in the kahunas, and bitten by the bunny is worth the price of the movie ticket.

The story for Wall•E is just as unique as any other Pixar movie. This movie is about a robot named Wall•E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter -- Earth-Class)in the year 2700 who is left on Earth to clean up trash, then a beautiful new robot named Eve comes on a mission. I won't say much more about it because I don't won't to spoil it, but I will say that this movie loses momentum once we get on the BNL ship. It seemed it wanted to have an eco-friendly theme, but it didn't say a word about it. Not Pixar's best, but still good.

Speaking of ticket price, I say go see this movie in the highest quality possible. The animation is stunning, even in regular quality. Andrew Stanton knew this and uses it to his full advantage. He puts scenes in with Wall•E and Eve, just exploring the scenery, it is absolutely jaw-dropping. The reasons of why they didn't release this in IMAX form surprises me and disappoints me. Yes, I will say the animation is better than Kung Fu Panda, however, I didn't like the live motion mixing with the animation, it looked like a cutscene from a videogame.

This movie is like Tina Fey, whilst being beautiful looking, it is also funny. A lot of the jokes are funny, especially in the short. Part of the reason it is so funny is that Wall•E's character does follow the Blade Runner motto, he is almost "more human than human," that is what makes him funny to me. He gets scared when we get scared, nervous when we get nervous, laughs with us, and almost cries with us. I loved him, and thought he was very funny.

This film can't be seen as entirely original, robots have been used in movies for a very long time, primarily in the movie Short Circuit. It does however, have better story then most movies, beautiful animation, an almost more human then human character, and most of all, it is funny.

Rating:
Not one of Pixar's best, but still very respectiable. (Yes, I do think Kung Fu Panda is better)

Kung Fu Panda

"Everybody was Kung Fu fighting!"
I am taking my Nephews little Boys to see it Tuesday they just love movies

Wanted

" It a choice, Wesley, that each of us must face: to remain ordinary, pathetic, beat-down, coasting through a miserable existence, like sheep herded by fate, or you can take control of your own destiny and join us, releasing the caged wolf you have inside. Our purpose is to maintain stability in an unstable world - kill one, save a thousand. Within the fabric of this world, every life hangs by a thread. We are that thread - a fraternity of assassins with the weapons of fate. This is the decision that lies before you know: the sheep, or the wolf. The choice is yours."

Wanted is my type of movie. The story is something you don't have to pay attention to much. Their are many beautiful actors and actresses doing well in their roles. The action is like nothing you've never seen before. The directing wasn't that great. It is so stupid, yet I had a dumbass grin on my face the whole dang time.

The story is your basic "live your life/ find your destiny" story. comingsoon.net says, Based upon Mark Millar's explosive graphic novel series and helmed by stunning visualist director Timur Bekmambetov--creator of the most successful Russian film franchise in history, the Night Watch series--Wanted tells the tale of one apathetic nobody's transformation into an unparalleled enforcer of justice. In 2008, the world will be introduced to a hero for a new generation: Wesley Gibson. 25-year-old Wes (James McAvoy) was the most disaffected, cube-dwelling drone the planet had ever known. His boss chewed him out hourly, his girlfriend ignored him routinely and his life plodded on interminably. Everyone was certain this disengaged slacker would amount to nothing. There was little else for Wes to do but wile away the days and die in his slow, clock-punching rut. Until he met a woman named Fox (Angelina Jolie). Then the story just gets, in my opinion nucking futs. It's nothing you haven't seen before. Let's face it though, are you really going to look for the best plot of all time, or do you just want to see stuff explode?

This leads me into my next paragraph. Remember my review of Live Free or Die Hard, how I docked points because it was so unrealistic? Well, I am actually giving Wanted points for it, and this is LFODH on 12 lines of coke, 11 gallons of Monster energy drink, 10 Red Bulls and you get the point... At one point I literally think it made all the guys go through a second puberty. Yeah, it's that good.

Timur Bekmambetov did bring a lot of stuff to the project. His Nightwatch and Daywatch films have beautiful CGI, same goes here. Sadly though, his directing is very repetitive and I can only take that slow-mo effect so many times. It didn't ruin the movie, but it didn't exactly help.

Speaking of good, there really are good looking people in this! Yes, their performances are all good but you know you just want to see a hot person with a pistol in their hand shooting something. Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, and the underused Common, and Thomas Kretschmann are all, as Zoolander would say, really really good looking. I guess I can't go out and try this stuff because let's face it, I'm not as pretty as McAvoy and don't have Jolie's butt .

All in all, Wanted is a thirteen year old boy's dream movie. You have to see it, to belive it.

Rating:

P.s. Morgan Freeman does out mother****er even Sam Jackson

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

"The Golden Army, the unstoppable force"

Ever since Hellboy in 2004 fanboys and regular moviegoers alike have been psyched for Hellboy II. Four years later we get The Golden Army, it was the first movie of the summer that made me want to walk out of the theater, and immediately buy another ticket.

The original (meaning only using the characters, not using a story of a comic book) story by director Guillermo del Toro and Hellboy comic book creator Mike Mingola starts where the original was kind of flawed. We actually get to see Hellboy, as well, a boy. We get a flashback to Christmas 1955 of Hellboy and Professor Trevor 'Broom' Bruttenholm and when he makes Hellboy go to bed, he reads him a story. This story is about a fight between Human World and Mythical World. When goblin blacksmiths create an unstoppable army called 'The Golden Army' which can only be controlled by King Balor when his rule is unchallenged. Needless to say Man loses, and in a desperate effort for safety Man makes a truce with the Mythical World and it says that Man will take the cities and towns and Mythical World will take the forests. To make sure everything is fair, King Balor breaks the headband that controls the Golden Army into three pieces, two going to him and his world, one going to Man. King Balor's son Prince Nuada is very unhappy about this decision and leaves in exile until his world will need him most.

Come back to 2008, at an auction Prince Nuada finds one of the headband's pieces is on sale. Rather than pay, he robs the place, releasing "tooth fairies" on the building. He now knows it is time to go home and get proclaim war on the Human World, when King Balor refuses and sentences Nuada to death, Nuada fights back killing Balor. Nuada's twin however, escapes with the last crown piece and a chase pursues throughout the whole movie, connecting with our three favorite characters. The story does have many interesting twists, particularly the one with Hellboy and Liz's relationship (you'll know what I mean when you see it,) but one really stupid twist that could have made the movie a lot shorter.

While the writing is very good, and del Toro has always done a great job writing, he outshines it with the costumes. All of the monsters were just interesting to look at. You could see the costume directors and make up people just having fun with it. I guess Pan's Labyrinth paid off. With the costumes I must mention the set designers too to avoid a riot. They did just as well and the whole film is very beautiful to look at. Worth the price of admission and the staying awake till midnight.

Many of the monsters also looked and acted so real, the acted like humans. Particularly Hellboy, he seems so human, he makes jokes, he messes up, gets drunk, gets hurt (not that easily), even does a bad singing. However, he is a good guy at heart and makes him that much more likable.

What would Hellboy be without the great Ron Perlman playing him?* Ron's acting is some of his best and I hope he never stops. Another honorable mention goes to Doug Jones (thankfully doing his own voice now) and Seth MacFarlane (yes, that Seth MacFarlane,) doing a great german accent as Johann Kraus. The only one who even did remotely close to bad was Selma Blair who overacts her role a bit.

To sum it up, Hellboy II is a pinnacle of comic book film making funny and action filled. Perlman shines as Hellboy backed up by a good plot, great set designs, and perfect costumes. I'll be seeing it again, soon, with more people and more Hellboy merchandise in my room.

Rating:

* del Toro seems to agree with me saying that if Ron doesn't play Hellboy, no one will

Do I look crazy????
oooooh! I'm so glad to read this review! I really liked the first one but was really hoping the second would be better. I love that they have so many more characters in this one, Ron Perlman is underrated as an actor IMO, although I'm sure he gets his! I can't wait to see it! I don't read comics, but I love this type of movie. Selma Blair is maybe not an astounding actress, however, she is so mysterious, dark and cold, she actually is inviting, to an audience anyhow, and not just speaking of this film. Plus I think she's hot in a, your just so cool, kind of way.

I am half agony, half hope.
Good review, Lennon, but I'll disagree with the rating. I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, but the special effects creatures from the previews were pretty similar to creatures I saw in this movie. The troll town is an example; it felt like the bar scene in Star Wars where all the aliens were hanging out. Been there, done that, not as impressed this time. But hey, I'm older now. I really like Del Toro. I've seen a couple of his films, I've read several interviews, and I heard him on the radio yesterday talking about his films, he's a warm and interesting man. But this movie just felt like it had all been done before.
I like the original film better.

That said, I am curious as to how he's going to handle the Hobbit films.

Johann von Goethe

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I thought the first one was average...I wanted to like it so much more then I did. The final climax is over quicker then a virgin's first time.

Good review though, waiting to see it. Although the trailer makes it seem like there is way too much going on.

Although the trailer makes it seem like there is way too much going on.
You see, that was my same thought, but not really. There isn't too much, if anything it is too little.

The Dark Knight

"The night is darkest just before the dawn"

Intresting quote I put up there, many thought this to be true about the Batman franchise, I however disagree. Many thought that Batman Begins was the dawn of the franchise, coming before the darkest, Batman and Robin. While I agree that BnR sucks, TDK is the newest dawn of comic book movies.

TDK is the "new dawn" of comic book movies is that it actually has great performances. Heath Ledger has gotten a lot of cred for his performance as the Joker (hell, I'm wearing a shirt with him on it,) which he should, but I will just waste your time by saying that, so I'll mention something different. Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent isn't talked about, nor given attention to as much as he should of had. The film did rest on his shoulders, he fails, TDK fails, and most likely another sequel will fail. Sure there is also the returning Bale, Oldman, Freeman, and Caine, all Oscar winners, nominees, or just critically acclaimed, but Eckhart isn't given credit for anything and in his words I must say "IT'S NOT FAIR!"

Another reason why this is the dawn of a new comic book movie era is that it doesn't feel like a comic book movie. Christopher Nolan said that he listed Heat as an influence, it shows. Even though this movie features a clown and a bat as it's villain and hero it really does feel like Heat or any other crime drama. Not as cartoony as Spiderman, not as light as Iron Man, it is just right.

The third reason why TDK is a great movie and should merit best picture Oscar consideration is the special effects. They spent 180 million to make this movie, and didn't skimp on the effects. All those special action scenes that were seemingly built for IMAX, were just good stunt work, action choregraphy, and maybe a little special effects.

There are two things that I think will shy viewers away, and it is a shame. Those two things are it's grittiness, and it's run time. The grittiness is plentiful, hell it's practically a film-noir, how it didn't get an R I will never know. You breafly see a guy get shot, no blood, see a guy fall, hear a guy get chopped into little pieces and feed to his pouches, and one really, really, magical pencil trick. Parents, FIND A FREAKIN' BABYSITTER!

It's runtime is 152 minutes. That is 2 hours and 32 minutes. Do you know how long that is to the average human now a days. Yet don't fear, there is never a dull moment. Even some of the Hong Kong stuff that critics are complaining about, it worked, and Batman's plan wouldn't have worked if he hadn't done that!

I know I've said "best comic book movie.....ever!" a lot this year, and everytime I had ment it. But now, I really really mean it.

Don't see it once, twice, but see it three times.

Welcome to the human race...
Nice to know someone else acknowledges Eckhart. He was something else entirely.

Why did you edit your first post??
because the key was only to page six and it got annoying.

Tropic Thunder

"We trained actors..."

Tropic Thunder is probably the most anticipated comedy of 2008, probably more than Judd Apatow's Pineapple Express and Step Brothers. I was lucky enough to go see it Wed, with a near packed house.

I was a bit disappointed. The beginning trailers were funny, the first war scene they shot was so bad it had to be a satire, but once they go onto the island the story becomes too coincidental and at times so drawn out it can be annoying.

The main problem with the movie was the script. Sure a lot of the gags worked (RBJ becoming black and the trailers being the best) but a lot didn't (Jack Black's drug habit.)The script also used a gag way to many times, it is the gag where it makes you think that it is going in a cliche but it doesn't, I'm not saying that the first few times it didn't work but after a while it got old.

The actors do try to make the most though. Robert Downey Jr. has great timing and falls completly into character much like an actor like Kirk Lazarus would do, Ben Stiller does play his normal 'stupid guy' routine but for some reason seemed a lot more buff, Jack Black does act like an arrogant a-whole comedian, although after the beginning 30 minutes he gets annoying, only to return being funny during the last ten minutes. The A-list cameos were also fun, Matthew McConaughey freaking out over Tivo plays perfectly (plus what he does with it is funny) and Tom Cruise's dancing just might make me hope that he can re-launch his carrer with another 'Jerry Macguire' esque comedy.

Other characters aren't exactly given ampel screentime, and too me those seemed some of the funniest. I'm talking about Danny McBride's explosive technician Cody and Nick Nolte's 'Vietnam vet' Four Leaf Tayback. They take one of the most intresting turns in the movie, but we learn next to nothing from that. Very dissapointing.

Another problem was with the way we saw some of the characters. Like the drug lords, they make them very sympathetic but in the end, we are supposed to hate them. It was too big of a turn for me to like.

With this review I probably sound like I hated this movie, but I really did like it, part of that reason were the effects. The opening scene (after the trailers) effects were mind-blowing. Plus, you just can't beat Ben Stiller playing with a dead head.

Rating:
RENT IT