The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And the answer to the question of which movie was nominated the most (3 times)?
I noticed this one because I was surprised to see it show up as many as it had:
Strange Days!
GOOD flick!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Just looked at Ahwell's noms and counted 58 list check offs. Of course he only has to do each movie once and the rest fill in automatically.
I was curious to see who had the most. I think I ended up with 32, which is pretty cool

I noticed this one because I was surprised to see it show up as many as it had:
Strange Days!
GOOD flick!
Yea and I guess pretty suitable for what we're all going through right now.

The only movies in this that I haven't seen, besides what was nominated for me, are Koyaanisqatsi, Naked Lunch, and The Mission. Maybe I'll watch those too.

This was my top 10 that I most wanted to see from the lists. Lucky that I got my top 3.

Ran
Paris Texas
Parasite
Fanny and Alexander
Three Colours
Short Cuts
Exotica
Downfall
Secrets and Lies
Philadelphia

as expected, all of the noms for me are movies i’ve wanted to watch at some point and i’m glad to finally have an excuse to get to them. might do more specific preliminary reactions when i’m at my computer.

also, i didn’t nominate strange days but i came very close a couple times so it could easily have had four nominations. which would’ve been fine, because it’s a masterpiece that everybody should see.
criticker

Pandora's Box (1928)
Directed by G.W. Pabst

Decided to start with a movie I figured would be a challenge to get through. Two plus hours for a silent film is a bit yeesh! for me. I'm usually cool with 70-90 minutes.

I'm not going to say much about the plot because it would take a while. Let's just say it was good. Really good. Really, very, good. Basically, Lulu (Louise Brooks) is a free spirit who will do what she needs to get things her way and all her shenanigans are finally catching up to her. The movie is filmed in acts and I think there were 8 maybe 9 of them and that's part of the problem with a plot synopsis. Each act was like it's own little movie so it would be like giving 8 or 9 short film reviews. Each little movie sets up the next one and it's all so fascinating. I think having it broken down into acts is one of the reasons it doesn't feel like a 2 hour movie.

Older film so how about the acting? Well, the acting from the leads is fabulous but especially from Louise Brooks. It's her movie all day long and her acting was so natural. She had none of the stiffness that is usually associated with earlier films. I'm going to say it right now - that was the best performance I've ever seen in a silent film. It's that good and I gotta admit - she was alright to look at and that hairdo -10/10. Reminded me of Cyd Charisse in Singing in the Rain. Quick shoutout to Fritz Kortner who played one of Lulu's...her husband for about an hour. He was also fantastic. Everyone was good but those are the two standouts.

Director Pabst did a bang up job with this. He hit some topics that were probably a bit risque for the day (everyone loves Lulu) and for a film made almost a hundred years ago it feels almost modern and that last act...what was that? Great ending. If there is one knock I have it's that the music in the beginning, up to act 3, felt off. It was too light and peppy for the story. Something a little more dramatic would have been nice. Didn't have to be the Sorcerer's Apprentice or anything like it but just a tad darker would have been nice. There is only one other silent film that blew me away like this one and that was Metropolis. This doesn't top that one but it's close.

I can understand why someone would pick The Gunfighter(1950) for me, three of my last noms have been westerns and I've scored several high recently in these halls. The film is short and it's got a great single focus to it...it's basically the story of a Gunfighter who doesn't want to be a Gunfighter anymore. Also the best westerns are really the ones that try and tell a simple morality tale and once that's this movie.

Sadly the idea is good but as time goes by the film hasn't aged well. The movie very similar to Unforgiven but with Unforgiven you have a degree of realism. Gregory Peck is good but almost miscast this is the sort of film that you want a Robert Mitchum who you can buy as an old outlaw...not Atticus Fitch. Peck doesn't really have the menace to him that the role needs to have.

The strength of the film is in it's supporting cast, in a story like this when you visit with the townspeople you find all these little great performances and ideas which breaks from the familiarity of the work.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm jealous of some of your guys movie watches you got, some nice choices! OK here's mine and some brief comments:

Citizen Rules watches-

Before Sunrise (1995) 90's....Isn't there like two more of these in the series?
Yes, Before Sunrise is the first movie in the trilogy, and in my option, it's also the best movie in the trilogy.

The Muppet Movie (1979) 70's....I thought GBgoodies didn't join I use to watch The Muppet TV show and liked it, so this could be cool.

I didn't join, but The Muppet Movie is a great choice. Enjoy it.

You might want to avoid Diabolique , Chinatown and Oldboy with the wife
Seconded on Oldboy, it is very violent.
Chinatown might be ok, but there are a few scenes that are rough.
I don't watch movies alone, I don't have the time to do that. We watch a few hours of movies in the evening after the work day is done. My wife watches all HoF movies with me, I swear she should get a vote

I haven't seen Oldboy, but I made it through Diabolique and Chinatown, so your wife should have no problem watching them.

The Fly
I just noticed, to my, uh, horror, that I neglected to include Horror in my list of dislikes. I did, however, specify that I don't generally like Sci-Fi. Sigh. We'll see how this goes.
I also don't horror movies, but the 1986 version of The Fly is one of the few exceptions. It's a tough movie to watch, but it's worth watching.

The Abyss (1989) OFCS Sci-Fi - Same as Harold and Maude.

I watched The Abyss for the Sci-Fi Countdown, and I loved it. I don't remember if it made my list, but if it didn't, then it didn't miss by much.

The trick is not minding
I'm jealous of some of your guys movie watches you got, some nice choices! OK here's mine and some brief comments:

Citizen Rules watches-

Before Sunrise (1995) 90's....Isn't there like two more of these in the series?
Yes, Before Sunrise is the first movie in the trilogy, and in my option, it's also the best movie in the trilogy.

The Muppet Movie (1979) 70's....I thought GBgoodies didn't join I use to watch The Muppet TV show and liked it, so this could be cool.

I didn't join, but The Muppet Movie is a great choice. Enjoy it.

You should have joined! I would have looked forward to your recommendations to me 😎

The trick is not minding
Also, I haven’t got a clue who nominated what and it’s probably a good thing that I don’t know.

2 hour and 39 minute Stanley Kubrick movie...
You have no idea how much I laugh every time I read this.

Lilo and Stitch
Glad I got at least 1 animation because I usually like them but don't pick them on my own.
Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite animated movies. I think you'll like it.

Les Miserables
Musicals can be a tough go with me, but I needed an old classic and I think I will enjoy it.
The 1935 version of Les Miserables is NOT a musical.

The Purple Rose of Cairo
Up until about 6 years ago, I hadn't seen any Woody Allen films. Then I watched a bunch and really liked most of them. I think I'll like this too.
I haven't seen a lot of Woody Allen's movies, but The Purple Rose of Cairo is one of my favorites.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Do I have the longest running times?

The Deer Hunter 3hrs 3 mins
The Godfather Part II 3hrs 22 mins
Amadeus 2hrs 40 mins
Strange Days 2hrs 25 mins

I guess people went with "classics" for me, a few of them are obvious blindsights in my cinematic viewing experience. I own 3 of these movies, maybe I'll start with those.

Suspect's Reviews

You should have joined! I would have looked forward to your recommendations to me 😎

I'm not good at recommending movies for other people. There are a lot of movies that I love, but many of the top rated movies would be on my list of "Movies I Hate".

I'm not good at recommending movies for other people. There are a lot of movies that I love, but many of the top rated movies would be on my list of "Movies I Hate".
See I think you'd be good at recommending movies for others. You're a very astute observer in the Guess the Movie from the Pictures game. I think you'd avail yourself to doing research and then making some sound educated guesses for others.

I tried to use my 'brainpower' and make my best guesses, I can only hope I did OK