1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

The Warriors (1979)

I'm pissed that the only version I could find to watch was the crap ass Ultimate Director's Cut

I thought I could overlook the comic book panel scene transactions. I couldn't, they break the pacing of the film and took me right out of the story. It's like just when I was getting into the world of the Warriors along comes these stupid comic book panels and throws ice cold water in my face!

Just as worse the Ultimate Director's Cut re-edits the film and some scenes are now inter-spliced with shots from other scenes. This diminishes the impact of the scenes. If that wasn't all bad enough, some shots are shortened to make the film supposedly faster/more exciting...Nope! It didn't work that way. What once was an exciting film now feels abbreviated as if I was watching an abridged version of the story.

I nominated The original Theatrical Cut but that seems hard to find. You know you're watching the Ultimate Director's Cut if the movie starts off with narration about the ancient Greeks and of course the comic book inserts.

I'm going to try and get the original Theatrical Cut and watch that.
Which is the preferred version? Because I've seen this already and it was the one with the comic book transitions and opening narration, and I quite liked the film overall.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Which is the preferred version? Because I've seen this already and it was the one with the comic book transitions and opening narration, and I quite liked the film overall.
Almost ever opinion, I've read online, says the original is better.

It's available like Mark said on cable channels and also on some streaming sites. And it's on DVD, BUT only the DVD made in 2001 has it. The 2005 DVD is the Ultimate Directors Cut.

But I'm glad you liked it

A symbolic representation of the dangers of the breakdown of democracy. Italy's fragile democratic government in the late 1960s was in danger of being subverted by communist youth sympathizers and anarchist. Social discord was rampant in the late 60s and the very fabric of Italy's democracy was in danger of being eroded from both leftist and from reactionary right wingers. This is what the film is about....polar opposites of the political social spectrum that threaten democracy by their extremism.

The film uses surrealistic satire to commentate on social problems. In the film the Chief of Homicide Police sacrifices himself by commenting a murder in order to teach his subordinates the meaning of democracy, in which no one is above suspicion, not even the Chief of Homicide Police. He plants clues for his fellow detectives to find, and is disappointed when they turn a blind eye to their duties. Duty and democracy is what he wishes to teach them, but like a bad nightmare, they won't believe he's a suspect in a murder case. In a sense the murder is the hero who has given his all to the state, and his hapless employees are the enemy who won't act like citizens of a democracy.

The murdered girl is symbolic of murdered free thought. She's a free spirit who's symbolic killed by bureaucratic complacency. The film makes sure the audience knows all of this by having the dead girl tell the Chief (and thereforth us), that she didn't mind be killed at all, because she would have ended up murdered anyway. Thus she's symbolic dead, and the Chief is a symbolic murderer, and the real death is civic duty.

Interesting film.

I actually hated the soundtrack, sorry It was the Bong-Bong-Bong mostly...But the soundtrack was effective at telling the viewer not to take the movie too seriously.
No need to be sorry. My taste is a bit, let's just say, sometimes it goes om its own tangent and expects no company.

No need to be sorry. My taste is a bit, let's just say, sometimes it goes om its own tangent and expects no company.
Well you're in good company Joel who is in this HoF, also liked the soundtrack.

How do you feel about the soundtrack in The Third Man?

Well you're in good company Joel who is in this HoF, also liked the soundtrack.

How do you feel about the soundtrack in The Third Man?
He does?

And that's why he's fat Matt Damon to my Ben Catfleck.

Who doesn't like zithers?

He does?

And that's why he's fat Matt Damon to my Ben Catfleck.

Who doesn't like zithers?
Ha, I don't! Like the movie of course, especially Orson Welles' Harry Lime, but the zithers, drive me crazy

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Warriors

This was my second viewing of the film and I enjoyed it about the same as the last time. I watched that directors cut and I know it's not the same version I watched the last time. I was pretty indifferent to it, it didn't affect my overall enjoyment much. Anyways a great soundtrack and a pretty cool story seeing the Warriors weave their way through the city and back to their home. I actually thought the camerawork was really well done and the settings that the film captures are pretty cool. It gives off a pretty cool vibe to it. The soundtrack is a real treat too and I really like seeing what happens at the end as well. As a side note Mercy really reminds me of Rosario Dawson.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ha, I don't! Like the movie of course, especially Orson Welles' Harry Lime, but the zithers, drive me crazy
saw this line of questioning several miles back lol
It's a good thing you keep your personal info tight to the chest or I'd mail you any and every zither CD that was out there for Xmas

You've got me more intrigued than I was previously about Jeff's nom: Investigation. ..
been considering it for one of my next watches.

and I was about the same when it came to the comic panels in The Warriors. It didn't mar my enjoyment of it. Though, at some point I would like to find the Theatrical and really compare.

Three Days of the Condor

I believe this was the last movie I watched back for the 70's countdown. I remembered liking it but it quickly faded from my memory. This was my second time watching it and I liked it a little more.

The opening credits really struck me as lame at the time. In restrospect, I think they were well done. They were so ordinary that I think they helped the first major event of the movie be more shocking. That is some scary gun that's used in the movie. So then the story unfolds, and I think it's fairly generic, but it's very entertaining with a good amount of tension.

I don't think Robert Redford is a great actor, but I do think he's a great star and I always like his performances. He suits the role very well. I also enjoyed Faye Dunaway's performance, not great, but just off enough to make her compelling. She looked great and had the best line of the movie. Max Von Sydow was the star for me displaying the perfect combination of suave and menace. The movie is at it's best when he's on screen.

I thought the musical score was awful and that it really hurt the movie. It seemed very out of place to me and did nothing to enhance the tension. Also out of place was the love scene which seemed completely forced. My gripes are not killers because I really enjoyed the movie and so did my wife.

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
yeah, Sydow REALLY makes this movie. When I was a kid I didn't pay too much attention to him, but, now I spend more time enjoying his presence than anyone else. Well, about equal with Redford, being a big fan of his when it comes to such movies.
so, @cricket, WHICH line were you referring to with Dunaway?

yeah, Sydow REALLY makes this movie. When I was a kid I didn't pay too much attention to him, but, now I spend more time enjoying his presence than anyone else. Well, about equal with Redford, being a big fan of his when it comes to such movies.
so, @cricket, WHICH line were you referring to with Dunaway?
Oh no, I'll help. You can always depend on the ol' spy f**ker.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Fantastic Planet

The best things about this film are it's originality and also it's world building. The animation on the surface is not anything fascinating but it does make quite an intricate world. It's fun to see how "humans" are pets, it gives us a glimpse of what a world like that would look like. I believe this film has a lot of deep meaning behind it. Another great part of the movie is it's soundtrack, which gives the film a very cool vibe. The creatures in the film are very interesting and also creatively made.in this world, the draags are the humans while the ohms are the ants so to speak, and it is quite an interesting experience that I enjoy watching every time. As far as the animation goes, pretty cool how the draags look. I think that's my favorite aspect of the animation. The world the films build sucks you right in, to the point where the story isn't even that important (although it still is very well done, it just becomes a secondary component to the film for me, in a way). This isn't a film that is for everyone, but it's certainly well respected by me.

+

And before I saw Sydow in a bunch of Bergman films, I thought he was ancient. I never knew he wore old man makeup in The Exorcist. I thought he was in his 70's when that came out.

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Believe it or not, I had never seen this. So right after I get through writing this, I'm heading over to the MoFo Lists and clicking it as watched.

I really liked this one...Dustin Hoffman is very natural and personable on screen, he makes an easy to like character that I could totally relate to. I thought he did a great job of acting...So did Meryl Streep, and wow she was actually pretty in this and young! I liked the way her character was written also very believable. She was really good at the way she portrayed a flaky, unhappy woman who's kind of screwed up and but not all together the bad guy.

Someone said that both sides were represented equally sympathetic in the movie, I don't think so. I felt Merly's character was 'the walking wounded' someone who's going to lose it no matter who she's with. I didn't like her character on a personal level and I think that's what the movie intended?

SPOILER
As much as I liked the movie, I disliked the happy ending where Meryl seemingly out of nowhere says he can keep the child. That really disappointed me, as I was expecting a strong ending with the court system screwing him over just because he was a man. I would have loved to see the film end on his face as Meryl and the kid walk down the hall and out of his life.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kramer vs. Kramer (1979).jpg
Views:	414
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	36896  

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Believe it or not, I had never seen this. So right after I get through writing this, I'm heading over to the MoFo Lists and clicking it as watched.
Nice review Citizen. I felt that the film portrayed Streep as the villain, though that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.

Nice review Citizen. I felt that the film portrayed Streep as the villain, though that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.
Yup.. I agree on both counts. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that about her being the heavy.

I love that scene in the restaurant, where out of the blue Dustin Hoffman, slaps the wine glass and it goes flying into the wall, which startles Meryl Streep. And right before that he picks up the wine glass moves it, then moves it back. Those small details make the movie special.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Yup.. I agree on both counts. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that about her being the heavy.

I love that scene in the restaurant, where out of the blue Dustin Hoffman, slaps the wine glass and it goes flying into the wall, which startles Meryl Streep. And right before that he picks up the wine glass moves it, then moves it back. Those small details make the movie special.
I love that scene and that little move you describe.... as if he was pondering it, and then just blew up... It was nice that he told her off.