How do you decide which movie to watch next?

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Do you also get messages in your dental fillings.
“Help me.”

I didnt choose the movie i want to watch, the movies choose me
That's deep, Reso. Kind of like how I want a restaurant dish to choose me when there's too much on the menu. Just call 'eat.me'.
i kinda impressionistic on the table xD

I'm going to start choosing a topic/subject and then try and watch every movie ever made about it.

First up is movies about Hollywood

I'm going to start choosing a topic/subject and then try and watch every movie ever made about it.

First up is movies about Hollywood
Need any recommendations?

La La Land
Hail Caesar!
And all these movies:
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/02/22-...lywood-272592/

That should keep you busy

I don't really have much of a system - franchises or, say, Arnie movies I have one or more a year depending on how many there are (for instance, going to watch Halloween IV in the next few weeks for obvious reasons), and if we're talking about my absolute faves I may pencil them in automatically if a certain amount of time has passed since I last saw them, but beyond that I just generally pick one at random.

Thanks you all for your replies!

I wasn’t requesting some recommendations I just wanted to know what was your process.

Mine is this: I love watching blockbusters right now so I look for the blockbusters I missed this year or in the past and take one that I may like.

My list is huge. It’s crazy how many movies are produced every year! But that's awesome too .

Anyway I didn’t know some of you guys used signs in your poo to decide, very interesting process indeed

My decision depends on my circumstances. If it's a rainy, snowy, crappy day and no one will be home for a while, then it's a perfect time to watch movies that are epic or catch a couple of classics such as Lawrence of Arabia, Rashomon, Casablanca, Metropolis. If I have the house to myself for only a couple hours I'll watch some sci-fi (Sunshine, Ex-Machina) or something horrible that I would never watch with anybody else eg. Man Bites Dog, Irreversible. If it's a nice Saturday/Sunday afternoon and I'm just vegging out and being lazy then it's time for one of them old b/w westerns or some god awful b-movie. Stuff that reminds me of watching movies on Sat./Sun. afternoons on tv as a kid. If someone else is home I don't get to decide. I just sit there, lie - "yeah, that looks like it might be good" - and hope for the best.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm curious about this: how do you decide which movie to watch next?

Do you use this forum (with the Movie You're Watching Tonight thread for example)? Friends tastes? Some recommendation service?

I scan through the TV listings of Turner Classic Movies and other movie channels every day or two, and I set my DVR to record anything that sounds interesting. Then I just keep watching movies on my DVR so I can clear the DVR and record more movies.

Plus, I try to watch some of the movies that are nominated in the Hall of Fames here, even if I don't join the Hall of Fames, and some movies that sound interesting in the review threads here too.

I go almost entirely by the reviews of The New Yorker & The New York Times. If either of them says a movie is really bad, I will not watch it. Conversely, I do not always like the movies they highly review.

I get 2 DVDs at a time from Netflix (I have about 194 movies in my Q & 127 saved movies) & I also stream from them. I basically just watch the next movie in my Q. I never shuffle my Q. I also occasionally stream from HBO & Amazon Prime.

█ █ █ █ █
Mainly, based on my mood. My favorite kinds of movies are dark sci fi, dark crime thrillers and japanese dramas, and i usually end up choosing something related to it, since frequently i'm in the mood for one of the three. After being interested in the movie itself, i may check some critical ratings.

Often times I just stare at my collection until I see something that makes me want to watch it. Other times I'll just randomly get the desire to watch a particular film. Other times it's dependent on theatrical release schedules. And many times I've foolishly let MoFos dictate what I watch when I sign up for Hall of Fames.