How do you decide which movie to watch next?

Tools    

I'm curious about this: how do you decide which movie to watch next?

Do you use this forum (with the Movie You're Watching Tonight thread for example)? Friends tastes? Some recommendation service?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Do you use this forum (with the Movie You're Watching Tonight thread for example)? Friends tastes? Some recommendation service?
An accumulation of what I want at that moment, and the recommendations, scores, themes, director, actors, etc...

I haven't saw a movie in over a week, I can never choose.... It's the hardest decision I make every day. I have hundreds of movies to choose from right in front of me, and I spend about the length of a movie trying to decide, and usually don't... I tried breaking the streak by watching "Carrie", since I saw a few minutes of it on TV when I was younger, but I couldn't really get into it... I thought it would be an "easy" movie for me to get back into the groove, but it was not... My goal today was to watch a movie, but I slept very late, and woke up very early and will have to delay this for another day.

Sometimes, it's about practicality.. If my DVR is near full, I'll try to pick something from there. When I used to go the library, I'd try to prioritize those 6 movies I'd get for a week.

I usually revert to old posts to find things, AND, I tend to jump from Top 10 to Top 10, thinking "If they also loved my #3 favorite movie, I might like a movie on theirs I haven't saw".

Ususally, by whose faces I feel like looking at for the next 2 hours.

This might just do nobody any good.
*sees movie*

“Sure, I’ll check that out.”

“watches movie*

“I was cured, all right!”
Most of the time I watch films by directors that I like and didn't watched all of his movies yet. Like Ozu, Scorsese, Mizoguchi, Shinoda, Hideo Gosha etc.

But some times it depends of my mood. I'm in the mood for some gangster flick? Well, I check my watchlist and search some gangster film, same thing if I want to watch some gorefest, action, drama or art films.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
If you cannot even decide what movie to watch, how do you make life decisions?
Huh? Choosing a movie for 2 hours of entertainment is the same as buying a house, getting married, having children, getting a vasectomy etc? Well I'll be.

Mood. If I feel like a comedy I wont choose war genre or drama. I take recommendations from people with similar taste but I wont just run out immediately and get it if I dont feel in the mood. I also wont automatically see something just because it's popular or critically acclaimed, or just because it has la la land level awards.

Jemo hey, good question and I do know what you're saying...and you're not saying it's an impossible task to decide...you're just wondering how others choose a movie out of 100,000's of choices. OK so here's what I do.

I get onto a movie kick and watch films from a certain director, or actor, or genre or subject mater...until I get onto a new kick.

Also I read Rate The Last Movie You Saw Last Night and get lots of ideas for movies I've never even heard of. After awhile I found that some MoFos have similar taste so that when they post I make sure and research the movie they just said they watched and liked.

Jemo, you could tell us what you like in movies, and then ask for recommendations. I would recommend something for you but I have no idea what you like except V for Vendatta (excellent film!) but what did you like about it? What other types of films do you like?

Check watchlist ---> Use random.org ---> Pick one to watch at random ---> Realize that I'm not in the mood for that specific film ---> Use random.org again ---> Repeat as many times as necessary

I'm actually terrible at managing this.

Check watchlist ---> Use random.org ---> Pick one to watch at random ---> Realize that I'm not in the mood for that specific film ---> Use random.org again ---> Repeat as many times as necessary

I'm actually terrible at managing this.
How do you use random.org for movies? I just looked at it and couldn't find a movie randomize link there.

I have them listed and the list is numbered, so I just randomize the number.
Oh OK, thanks I was just going to see if that site could randomly suggest a movie to me and if I would like it.

For me its all about the mood. Gonna watch The Equalizer starring Denzel Washington tonight. Sometimes when I am unable to decide, I just sift through the collection and just go with the movie that brings back some sort of memories or something

I didnt choose the movie i want to watch, the movies choose me
That's deep, Reso. Kind of like how I want a restaurant dish to choose me when there's too much on the menu. Just call 'eat.me'.

I look for a sign in my poo.
SNORT. I was not expecting that, that's for sure. Do you also get messages in your dental fillings.