Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Someone I know told me to check this movie out - said it was better than Hell or High Water - it's not, but it was a good movie. I was expecting more of a crime mystery film, but what this really was an examination of turbulent relationships between fathers and their sons... definitely the main theme of the film.

Good performances all around though, especially from Chris Cooper, who's always great and a highly underappreciated actor.

7/10

The Puppet Masters (1994)

The Earth is invaded by stingray-shaped alien "slugs" that ride on people's backs and control their minds.

Blue Velvet (1986)

Pretty much flawless mystery/thriller/comedy. Definitely doesn't make me feel good when I watch it, so this was probably the last time. Can't deny it being a terrific movie, though.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

The Earth is invaded by stingray-shaped alien "slugs" that ride on people's backs and control their minds.

]
LMAO. That sounds thoroughly brilliant, FB.

The Babysitter (2017, Netflix Original)

From the director (McG) with whom I had completely written off for stuff like Charlie's Angels Full Throttle and Terminator Salvation, comes The Babysitter, a fun and funny horror movie which is incredibly well paced and has but a few flaws. Even those minor nitpicks can be ignored for the amazing practical effects and excellent performances.

Honestly, to see McG's name at the end credits was the most surprising part of the movie, because to be honest, I probably wouldn't have watched it had I known he was the director.

The Babysitter is a movie I would wholeheartedly recommend to pretty much anyone, and it's a must see for horror/teen flick fans to be sure.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	thebabysitter.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	36620  

The Babysitter (2017, Netflix Original)

Laughed so hard at that photo I choked on my tea!!!

Beatriz at Dinner (2017)

Happy Death Day

[/quote]

This is a tough one, I'm still trying to process what I saw. Happy Death Day is basically Groundhog Day re-imagined as a slasher film. The lead character "Tree" is a sorority sister who is murdered in an elaborate birthday themed murder only to have her wake up the next day.

Tree is an awful human being so you've got a number of possible murder suspects. As each death comes and goes she becomes a bit smarter and the suspects are eliminated one by one until we get to the final reveal.

As a horror film it was a bit lacking, knowing that she wakes up the next day takes a bit of the sting out of the murders which is unfortunate for a slasher. You also have a number of plot holes, contrivances, and the resolution leaves a bit to be desired.

Actually their are a number of maddening things that nitpickers are going to hate...like the romantic leads feel like they are ten years apart, you don't understand how that college exists and one of the sorority sister behaves and acts like she doesn't belong in the same sorority. But you can move past that because it's funny, it's actually really funny. There is a Ghostbusters/What About Bob style to the film including the best fart joke I've seen in years. You also find yourself engaged with the story, it's fast paced and Tree is a lot of fun if not somewhat inconsistent a character.

Sounds like good times. Will check it out. I'm up for a laugh.

Just rewatched for the first time in forever. Still one of the better political cover-up thrillers ever made. Everything about this movie is top notch.

8.5/10
I agree. Saw it in the theater when it was released in '75, and have watched it many times again. Everyone attached to this film was at the top of their craft, and the casting was perfect. Max Von Sydow as the assassin is one of his most memorable roles.

We were still in the Cold War then, and the plot was completely plausible. A masterpiece from Sydney Pollack.

~Doc

Just rewatched for the first time in forever. Still one of the better political cover-up thrillers ever made. Everything about this movie is top notch.

8.5/10
I agree. Saw it in the theater when it was released in '75, and have watched it many times again. Everyone attached to this film was at the top of their craft, and the casting was perfect. Max Von Sydow as the assassin is one of his most memorable roles.

We were still in the Cold War then, and the plot was completely plausible. A masterpiece from Sydney Pollack.

~Doc
Yeah great movie. My dad thought this was essential viewing for us as kidlets

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc

I saw it at the theater in '75 also, Doc, and loved it. I'm on board with everything you said, especially about Von Sydow and the masterpiece comment. Need to see it again soon.

This might just do nobody any good.
The “it would happen this way” moment is a highlight for me (on Von Sydow).

Chilling, man.

Originally Posted by Saunch
The “it would happen this way” moment is a highlight for me (on Von Sydow).

Chilling, man.
Yep, and right after, his words almost come true. Love it!

LMAO. That sounds thoroughly brilliant, FB.
It's an old favourite, it doesn't really stand out from the genre (of parasite Aliens secretly taking over earth) but is pretty cool if you like that sort of thing and Donald Sutherland is in it.. which is weird as he is also in Invasion Of The Body snatchers

WARNING: "ending revealed" spoilers below
and also becomes an Alien at the end although this time he doesn't do a weird scream thing, instead he steals a helicopter.

This was a rewatch, but I had only seen it once before, and that was probably over 10 years ago... so essentially, I was looking at with fresh eyes.

My thoughts - decent thriller overall, but an extremely POOR imitation of The Conversation. But hey, it's not John Travolta's fault that he's no Gene Hackman, and De Palma is no Coppola.

What I liked: the cinematography was impressive, as it is all in all De Palma films, interesting and compelling plot, Travolta's acting was very good, and John Lithgow, as always, played a creepy villain.

What I didn't like: The effing lead actress, Sally. Played by Nancy Allen. Myyy GOD her character was annoying! So annoying, so ditzy, so shallow a character that I couldn't establish ANY attachment to her whatsoever, which essentially diminishes the end (which I won't give away for those who haven't seen it).

It also deteriorated into a pretty silly film towards the end, as Travolta is speeding 100 mph through the crowded streets of Philly going through a parade of thousands, and manages to avoid every.... last.... single... one of them. Just stupid. Plus, I felt that the film just lost it's whole premise after awhile, as it was SUPPOSE to be about a wide-scale, cover up murder of a prominent politician... it might have been a great film if it centered around Travolta looking to uncover the WHY this Senator's was murder, and the overarching impact of what of he (Travolta) discovering the cover-up means on a grand scale. INSTEAD... it devolved into a simple, and silly chase to attempt to stop John Lithgow from murdering a series of hookers. It totally jumped the shark.

The first half of the film was VERY GOOD, but I won't give it too low a grade, but there's just too much I didn't like in it... I don't have any real desire to watch it again. I'll give it a 6, and that's generous. Really I felt it was closer to a 5.5.

6/10

The Babysitter (2017)
Director: MCG

Not a very fleshed out script for starters, we never get enough motivation from the bad guys aside from some generic reason. Totally unexplored within their own motivations throughout the film. Had the writing been more up to the occasion, this movie would have been a minor dent in horror comedy. Kudos for some decent effects and humor throughout. This one's a little too campy and self congratulatory for its own good. Still, not a horrible way to kill 90 minutes.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The Babysitter wants to be Idle Hands when it grows up.