Why DVDs aren't released at the same time than the movie in theaters?

Tools    

I opened a thread recently: Have you ever missed to watch a specific movie at the theater? and during the discussion came some comments about the time a DVD/BR makes to come out that made me think:

It’s s good thing now, but remember the days when it took close to 12months for a movie to come out on vhs or even dvd. Now it’s about 2 months and comes on public tv (here in Aus) pretty fast too.
Most of the time, it seems to take about two years between a movie coming out in theatres and then playing on free-to-air TV.
Yea around 2 years sounds about right. It was at least 3 back in the “day” if I’m remembering correctly.
How can you wait 2 years to see a movie you missed? I can't do that. How can you chat with your friends about it? Even 2 months it's too long.

I don't know why the movie industry doesn't release a movie at the same time in theaters and DVD/BR?

I think the main argument is "if we do this, no one will come anymore at the theater", and this argument is so wrong. Seriously. Even if you have an awesome home cinema with a big screen and great sound (which is expensive to get and not everybody can have that kind of equipment), you go to the theater for the experience.

I really believe that if they release the DVD/BR at the same time than the movie in the theater, they would make more money. I would definitely purchase a DVD/BR when the movie comes out if I'm sure I won't be able to see it at the theater. Wouldn't you?

You could argue "well you can already pre-order a DVD/BR online when the movie is playing in the theater". That's right. But I will receive it 2 months later, and I want to see the movie now so I can talk about it. Time matters.

What is your opinion about this? Do you know some movie industry insights I missed in my reasoning?

never gonna happen, the money made from a family or group going to the cinema vs the money made from 1 blu-ray/dvd sold? no brainer

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I actually kind of missed how it took longer for movies to go to VHS back in the day, cause movies are out of theaters so fast nowadays, that I don't even get to see all the ones I want to on the big screen.

It feels like they treat the movies as less special and just want to get them in and out as possible now.

Welcome to the human race...
Since buying a ticket is more expensive than renting a DVD, it stands to reason that the content producers will make more of a profit off the ticket and thus want to encourage consumers to choose theatre over home rental. The reason "nobody coming to the theatre" is such a concern is because a theatre ticket is more profitable than a DVD rental, hence why it's such a problem for producers when people don't go to the theatre. If anything, the "experience" of going to the theatre can be a problem for people as they don't want to deal with the various hassles of traveling, scheduling, annoying audience members, etc. By delaying the DVD release, it's forcing people to make a choice - see the movie right away and deal with the theatre's cost/inconveniences or wait a few months and see it cheap in the comfort of your own home. Offering the comfortable option straight away would diminish profits for the producers, hence why they don't do it.

never gonna happen, the money made from a family or group going to the cinema vs the money made from 1 blu-ray/dvd sold? no brainer
Oh. Never thought about that. Excellent point indeed. But maybe, precisely because I'm the father in a family of four and it costs too much to go to the theater I want to purchase the DVD to see this movie instead of going to the cinema. That works in both ways.

@ironpony: in one word: profitability. Cinemas are one-shots businesses (except when you purchase a subscription card for illimited movies but I think it's a small fraction of their customers) so they have to make the client come and come over. What's better than fresh new content to achieve that? That's also why some movies stay longer than others, it's because they sell more tickets, they suck the most they can out of it and they throw it away.

Offering the comfortable option straight away would diminish profits for the producers, hence why they don't do it.
I agree with everything you said but this part is still a mystery to me. I think they don't dare to try because they may lose money. But I'm not sure about this. There are advantages and constraints to go to the theater, providing solutions for everyone could increase profit.

If I'm on a budget with a family of four, I won't go to the theater but I would purchase the DVD when the movie is released in theaters. Otherwise, I wouldn't purchase it because I want to see it now.
If I'm single and a movie fan but I'm too busy, I know I want to see this movie but won't have the time to see it in theaters. I would purchase the DVD instead too.

Maybe these cases are exceptions, but they should try to test the idea.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
As much as I love the theater experience and will rollsolo no prob, I would stay at home.

The IMAX experiences are great, but I would rather save the time and money. I would rather have friends at the house and not pick up a $60+ tab before the movie. Yeah. I know ima lame.

If there were no piracy, tickets probably wouldn't be as expensive.

What if rather than the cinema you had the option of paying, say 15 dollars/pounds etc for a one day home streaming? OK they'd make less on a family but I think more families would take that option

@doubledenim: I'm the laziest person in the world so I totally understand your point of view .

What if rather than the cinema you had the option of paying, say 15 dollars/pounds etc for a one day home streaming? OK they'd make less on a family but I think more families would take that option
Hum. I don't agree with the piracy thing. There are studies that proves the contrary. The piracy makes free advertisement for the movie. When a pirate tells a non-pirate friend that this movie is awesome, the non-pirate friend may go watch it at the theater. If the pirate didn't talk about it, he may not have watched it at all.

You suggest a per day subscription? Illimited streaming movies available for $15 during one day, that's right? That's interesting! That may fit better some families type of consumption you're right.

@doubledenim: I'm the laziest person in the world so I totally understand your point of view .

Hum. I don't agree with the piracy thing. There are studies that proves the contrary. The piracy makes free advertisement for the movie. When a pirate tells a non-pirate friend that this movie is awesome, the non-pirate friend may go watch it at the theater. If the pirate didn't talk about it, he may not have watched it at all.

You suggest a per day subscription? Illimited streaming movies available for $15 during one day, that's right? That's interesting! That may fit better some families type of consumption you're right.
I think the piracy thing was based on Game of Thrones not being harmed financially, I remember reading something similar

If they did a one-day thing they'd still get money when it's released on blu-ray, plus, if your kids enjoyed it the first time and they started nagging that they wanted to watch it again before blu-ray, how many parents would stream it again for some peace and quiet?

I think the piracy thing was based on Game of Thrones not being harmed financially, I remember reading something similar

If they did a one-day thing they'd still get money when it's released on blu-ray, plus, if your kids enjoyed it the first time and they started nagging that they wanted to watch it again before blu-ray, how many parents would stream it again for some peace and quiet?
In fact, there are several studies about that. And not only in the movie industry but also game industry etc.

You make a very good point with the kids .

Do you remember that old advert that used to play on British VHS before the movie started?

'Oral contract.....not worth the paper it's printed on'

Ah those were the days