What's so great about The Social Network (2010)?

Tools    

You probably won't ever hear the phrase "Oscar nominee Justin Timberlake," but the fact that I felt compelled to write this sentence at all is stunning enough.
http://oscar.go.com/nominees/music-o...ng-from-trolls

Props to JT for pushing through the haters.

Actually that's a pretty good write-up. Aside from the HORRIBLE H8R PREDICTION. Agreed that the dialogue is pretty central.

Yeah, dude really needed a win. Before Trolls he was just handsome, talented, rich, and married to Jessica Biel.
The project's original name was A Poppy Blooms in Branches' Shade but at the last minute JT decided to "dedicate" the name of the film to all the people who said he'd never make it in this town.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I loved The Social Network, as a matter of fact, I would call it a sure-fire favorite of mine. I never had much thought about how truthful the film was, but, instead, I loved the story it told.
Great post but for me this in particular - I got swept away by Sorkin's script. The words just completely held my attention.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This seems like a loaded question, since it implies that people should only make movies if the "real story" is compelling, even if they plan to take creative liberties to make it moreso.

But to answer it anyway: the fact that one of the largest and most influential companies in history was potentially founded on stolen ideas and backstabbing, of course. I really don't understand the argument that this was some boring situation without the personalized creative liberties. There's tons of drama here inherent to the situation: money, power, legacy, and betrayal.

You keep citing the addition of material to the real story as a reason to dislike the story itself, and that doesn't wash. If you want to say you don't like people making things up about real people for narrative purposes, that's fine. If you want to say you weren't interested in the things they made up, that's also fine (though I'd totally disagree). But it doesn't make any sense to frame this as a critique of the story itself if, when elaborating on that critique, you pretty much only refer to the fact that material was added. "People shouldn't take creative liberties with real stories" is cultural criticism, not film criticism.
Yeah I guess. It's just when Hollywood makes up things about characters, sometimes they change the character's names out of respect. Like for example in the movie Green Zone or Compliance, the people that it was based on, the names were all changed, out of respect, and I feel that maybe the same thing should have been done here perhaps.

But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

As for Zuckerberg being married to a very hot girl, a lot of times, hot women choose to marry men for the money, so she might not have married him for him, if he wasn't rich, but I guess that's another story.

Yeah, it's a fair point. I really do find it totally reasonable to be uncomfortable with tweaking real people's stories for dramatic effect, and it can definitely go too far (Titanic being the first thing that always comes to mind, for me).

For some reason I was totally okay with Titanic ironically. I think it's because the movie seems to realize it wants to tell a fictional story with fictional characters in a real disaster. Where as The Social Network, pretends to be real more so, by using the names of the real people and having the subtitled historical recap at the end, if that makes sense?

That makes sense as a distinction, except that I don't get the impression that Titanic realizes that at all, particularly given how much press they did talking about their painstaking, historical recreation of how the ship looked (and other such things). I think it very much presents itself as historically accurate, though I don't wanna hijack the thread away from The Social Network too much.

Anyway, I'm not actually sure how much of TSN is tweaked. I imagine there's probably still some disagreement about which liberties were liberties. Usually in cases like this more is unprovable than false.

As for Zuckerberg being married to a very hot girl, a lot of times, hot women choose to marry men for the money, so she might not have married him for him, if he wasn't rich, but I guess that's another story.
What on earth. Talk about a fishing expedition because yet again you watched a movie you want to complain about being overrated because you didnt gel with it.

Oh I was just asking why everyone liked it so much and why a lot of people consider it to be a masterpiece, that's all. Is it wrong not to ask why a movie is considered that, and to discuss it?

Well dude, you didnt just want to know because as with every one of your threads you just argue back when people respond. You didnt like it No biggy but you just like talking over anyone with a different pov.

Oh sorry, I don't to be too argumentative, I was just trying to understand other people's points. I actually don't know if I liked the movie and it was right on the line to me and was wondering therefore, why other people like it so much, or what is it that I am not seeing.