Terminator 1 or 2, which one did you like the best?

Tools    

Terminator 1 or 2, which one did you like the best?
53.33%
32 votes
Terminator
46.67%
28 votes
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
60 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I'm gonna go second, even though it contains one of the dumbest and most condescending scenes I've ever seen in such an otherwise great movie.
What ?

As for the main topic I’ve watched the first film only once while I’ve watched the second film about a hundred times so not really a fair comparison. Maybe it’s sort of a generational thing.

I whine about it incessantly in an essay:

James Cameron Probably Hates You:

The most overt example comes when John Connor (Edward Furlong) stops to observe two children play fighting with toy guns. The camera lingers and the motion slows as we watch them try to "kill" each other. A less monomaniacal director would've probably left it at that. But the scene keeps going.

"We're not going to make it, are we?," Connor asks. And again, Cameron has a chance to stop here, leaving us with a statement that could be read as a commentary on the protagonists' chances of success and the future of mankind. But again, the scene keeps going.

"People, I mean," Connor adds. At this point there is no more subtext and the dual-meaning has collapsed into a single entendre. And yet, somehow, the scene continues.

"It is in your nature to destroy yourselves," the Terminator replies. And now we've fallen from "show don't tell" to "show, then tell, then tell again." Just in case you didn't glean the message from the story itself, or hearing it explicitly stated, Cameron makes sure to scrawl it on a 2x4, hit you over the head with it, then drag your body next to a billboard he's purchased with the same message on it so that it's the first thing you see when you wake up.

I much prefer the first one.

As I've said before, despite being R-rated, I do consider Terminator 2 as the herald for family-friendly, PG-13 action movies that have ruled the box office for far too long. It's not a bad film, but I've never understood the worship and "the best action movie ever" hype. Oh, and I also agree with @Yoda 's rant above.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I love Terminator 2, but the original Terminator is a classic.

It's not a bad film, but I've never understood the worship and "the best action movie ever" hype.
That might be a bit much, yeah, but I suppose part of that is the introduction of special effects as inherently part of the attraction. The "come and look at what we just figured out how to do" aspect of filmmaking was, I think, kinda new in that regard, and persisted for a solid decade, right up until CGI became ubiquitous enough that it stopped being an attraction in and of itself. Obviously Cameron's still doing that (or trying to) with the many Avatars, and I generally think little of that whole posture, but I can appreciate how significant it was with T2.

I think the action set pieces are just incredibly well-constructed and genuinely thrilling, even after a couple dozen viewings, which is a remarkable thing to say. Really strong horror elements, too, even if they're mostly left behind relative to the first.

That said, I wonder if this is a "when you see it" kinda thing? I was eight when it came out, I probably saw it as a young teenager or just before, and back then there was nothing like it. If someone saw some of the effects-laden action films that came over the next few years before, I can see why it might not have that wow factor.

The Terminator, without hesitation.

I do love Terminator 2, though.

Top 5 movie related questions I can't answer;
1. T1 or T2
2. GF1 or GF2
3. Die Hard or With a Vengeance
4. Alien or Aliens
5. Raging Bull or Rocky

T2 is sci-fi-action so not on my all time action/action list.

That said, I wonder if this is a "when you see it" kinda thing? I was eight when it came out, I probably saw it as a young teenager or just before, and back then there was nothing like it. If someone saw some of the effects-laden action films that came over the next few years before, I can see why it might not have that wow factor.
I was 16 when it came out, and I didn't like it that much even back then. To be honest, I probably disliked it more in my teens due to its lack of violence and too humane terminators

Shoulda just called it "My Toy Robot" and called it a day.

T1, but this is an Alien/Aliens situation where I feel the urge to revisit the second one more often.

I'm in the T2 camp, first one is a good sci-fi horror film but the second builds on it's world in such an interesting way that I'm always more drawn to it.