Your favorite slashers

Tools    

I could swear I watched this, but I didn't log it so I guess I didn't. Probably confusing it with Sorority House Massacre.

I still don't know which one of these I've seen. Or if I've seen both. Or if it's a sequel. Or I've seen both of the sequels. Are there sequels?

It gets even more confusing when I'm pretty sure one of these opens with clips from Slumber Party Massacre, as if that is a part of this universe.

In short, I don't think I've seen the one with the Jester serial killer.

But, I don't know, maybe I have.

I still don't know which one of these I've seen. Or if I've seen both. Or if it's a sequel. Or I've seen both of the sequels. Are there sequels?

It gets even more confusing when I'm pretty sure one of these opens with clips from Slumber Party Massacre, as if that is a part of this universe.

In short, I don't think I've seen the one with the Jester serial killer.

But, I don't know, maybe I have.

The first one establishes an intriguing dreamlike tone early on that won me over.

The second one is super trashy and has no relation to the first one (and in fact has flashbacks to the first Slumber Party Massacre).

I'm a fan of both.

The first one establishes an intriguing dreamlike tone early on that won me over.

The second one is super trashy and has no relation to the first one (and in fact has flashbacks to the first Slumber Party Massacre).

I'm a fan of both.
Does the A-hole with the guitar show up at any point?

A few comments. Firstly, love seeing Happy Birthday To Me and Just Before Dawn as genuinely liked films. Also nice to see Alice, Sweet Alice there, but then, it usually is liked when seen.

Secondly, a second here for House On Sorority Row (the original of course) I think I'd put it in the 'if you like the genre, then you'll probably like it' category.

Pieces
Island of Death (I feel I either liked this one, or hated it)
Psycho II
Roadgames
Maniac Cop
I'd wholeheartedly recommend these (not that the others one the list weren't good) but question whether both Island Of Death or Roadgames are slashers? But I only say that for clarity/so as you don't expect something you don't get, not to have an are they or aren't they arguement because that's awfully tricky with horror, let alone breaking it down into Slasher, with it's giallo/thriller influences. Personally I'd say Roadgames is a thriller and Island Of Death is straight up exploitation, but would recommend both.

I'd also recommend rewatching the original A Nightmre On Elm Street as it's great.

For my own recommendations, a couple of lesser seen entries. The first being Don't Open Till Christmas. It's not good, but it's British, low budget and troubled and, therefore, a bit different to the norm. But I like nasty and seedy and this has both in bucketloads with its atmosphere and onscreen.

A similar feel to my second recommendation (which feels a bit like a first draft of Dressed To Kill, which I'd also recommend, written as a Giallo) again, whether or not it's a slasher is debatable, but as it's made in 1969 it predates 'official' slasher (unless you go back to Psycho/Peeping Tom) but I have no idea how difficult it is to find. It's a kind of Jack The Ripper inspired story which, if you like, I'd also recommend From Hell and the Hammer film, The Hands Of The Ripper.

Lastly I'll throw in The Prowler, which is something you'll have no problem finding and, as you liked My Bloody Valentine, I think you'll like as well.

Victim of The Night

I'm a fan of both.
I agree with all this.
But they are really just in different tiers altogether.

@honeykid

Yes, I definitely consider Hands of the Ripper to be an early precursor. Hammer's The Mummy's Shroud is another that basically acts as a slasher, only ten years too early.

The Prowler can be found in my 3-1/2 star list, but I've added Don't Open Till Christmas to my ever-expanding Slasher Watchlist
Thanks!

I also kept a couple off that I think are just simply too unpleasant or icky
I occasionally find myself in the mood to wallow in the muck, so don't feel like you have to shelter me from anything.
Unless you're uncomfortable promoting something on moral grounds, of course. (animal cruelty, etc)

I occasionally find myself in the mood to wallow in the muck, so don't feel like you have to shelter me from anything.
Unless you're uncomfortable promoting something on moral grounds, of course. (animal cruelty, etc)

The two I mentioned (Don't Answer the Phone, I Dismember Mama) just mostly made me feel uncomfortable. They aren't particularly enjoyable watches. They aren't very good. Are maybe even worse than most. But they lingered with me, so I guess that is something. But certainly not a recommendation.