Better Call Saul...whatcha think?

Tools    

Loving it but can't help but wonder....what is left to do the next 4 episodes?

Truly hoping Patrick Fabian and Rhea Seehorns careers blossom after this.
The best actors on the show are Michael Mando as Nacho Varga and Tony Dalton as Lalo Salamanca. They both deserve Emmy and Globe nominations in my opinion.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The best actors on the show are Michael Mando as Nacho Varga and Tony Dalton as Lalo Salamanca. They both deserve Emmy and Globe nominations in my opinion.
Yeah they were great too, especially Mando.

Same here. I mean, they went from
WARNING: spoilers below
Kim packing to Saul waking up in his plebeian mansion next to a hooker? I don't think they're done with Kim yet. There's no way.

While they hinted at it by showing how lonely Gus and Mike are, it was still a punch to the gut. It was nice to see Reed Diamond as the wine expert, which sort of makes the episode a Homicide: Life on the Street reunion (apparently, Rhea Seehorn was in a season 6 episode of that show). Also, the pictures from Howard's funeral are from Patrick Fabian's Instagram!

I've wondered that myself. My guess is that we'll see what "Gene" is up to.

They made a point to make Fring seem impressed that Jimmy talked Lalo out of making him be the one who goes to his safehouse.
This was my immediate impression as well...but my wife noted that this was probably more Fring realizing the plan must be a diversion, since Lalo didn't care which of them went. Maybe both, though.

I really enjoyed all the examples of them letting us work out the strategic machinations going on in Fring and Lalo's heads those last few episodes, regardless.

EDIT: whoops, think someone already said this. I'm a bit behind.

I'll echo what overs have said, it doesn't really make sense to me that that's how Kim's story ends (even without getting to the flash forward, where I assume we'll get her final resolution, whatever that is). For awhile I've been kind of tickled by the idea that she would end up in jail, and that's why we never see her. A nice irony and a sort of "you can't escape what you are" thing with her mother and her low-level con-woman upbringing. But that seems far less likely after last night.

We've seen how much these writers can pack into just one hour, though, let alone four. With Lalo gone and Kim leaving, they're wide open to do all sorts of things. While it feels wrong right now, they've more than earned the benefit of the doubt, and by wrapping those two things up with an episode each (not really, I suspect, but superficially) they've left us more or less unable to predict what happens next, which is a good place to be.

What a show.

I'll echo what overs have said, it doesn't really make sense to me that that's how Kim's story ends (even without getting to the flash forward, where I assume we'll get her final resolution, whatever that is). For awhile I've been kind of tickled by the idea that she would end up in jail, and that's why we never see her. A nice irony and a sort of "you can't escape what you are" thing with her mother and her low-level con-woman upbringing. But that seems far less likely after last night.

We've seen how much these writers can pack into just one hour, though, let alone four. With Lalo gone and Kim leaving, they're wide open to do all sorts of things. While it feels wrong right now, they've more than earned the benefit of the doubt, and by wrapping those two things up with an episode each (not really, I suspect, but superficially) they've left us more or less unable to predict what happens next, which is a good place to be.

What a show.
WARNING: "sp0iler" spoilers below

There is not a chance in hell they are done telling Kim's story. There was only 3 ways her story was coming to an end dead, jail or leaving Jimmy. With Lalo out of the picture death seemed far-fetched now, he was the only threat really. Jail was feasible but Kim is too smart for that. Leaving may feel anti-climatic, easy way out of it but I thought they executed it rather well.

I thought the jump ahead to BB Saul was perfect, his hair becoming BB thin made me laugh hard. I was giddy when BCS finally caught up to BB timeline and I think it's a stroke of genius to give themselves some room to explain, from Jimmy/Saul's, perspective the BB TL. My prediction is I think they are going use an episode showing how Saul gets introduced to Gus so he can set him up with Walt. They will show the rise and downfall of Jimmy/Saul in BB from his perspective plus the get away from the last scene were Walt and Saul see each other. Then I think they will dedicate a good chunk of an episode to were Kim wand up in BB (she is too important of a character). Then I think the last episode might be full on Gene.

And my biggest prediction is the guy that finds Jimmy/Saul in Ohama as Gene and makes him...I have a feeling he was hired by Kim to find him. I think there is a really good chance that they are setting up the opposite ending of BB and a somewhat happy ending where they reconnect. All I know is I am 100% certain they are not done telling Kim's story. She is way too big of a character to not know where she was during BB and these writers are far too good.

But my last hope is Kim escaped to Alaska and randomly finds Jesse. They move in together and start a spin off sitcom. A guy can hope.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I wanna say more about the depth and character study brilliance of Fring's little wine celebration later, but too busy today. More soon.
That was just a brilliant scene. One of the best tv scenes I've seen in recent years.

WARNING: "Wine scene" spoilers below
In my head it sort of makes sense. Fring allows himself a moment of happiness reminiscing and talking about a hobby, then it gets too much and he has to snap himself back in line as he feels his guard is letting down. It was actually a really sad scene - Fring hates what he's become. His business has become like a fine wine, that has bettered and boomed with age. But just like the wine - he's not really able to enjoy it as he's always sleeping with one eye open, as his persona will not let him be a normal human being.

There was probably some clue or easter egg in the dates and locations of the wine but I missed it. And also maybe a nod to his sexuality and the reluctance of him to start any relationships in his personal life

Yeah, broad spoiler thing for the last episode but it's all fairly vague so...

I read it basically the same way: a tiny celebration he allowed himself in a moment of triumph. Obviously more implications about his sexuality there, similar to the ones we saw with Max in the BB flashbacks, but I like that it's not explicit. We can see there's intimacy there, and that's enough. It's also such a brilliant meta-reflection of the character that we don't know exactly what he's thinking or exactly where he stands with each person. They leave us to work out all his strategic decisions, so it makes sense that they leave us to suss out his relationships (such as they are), too.

One really, really nice touch, too, was that he left the cork from the wine there. No attachments, and an inverse of Kim and Jimmy's infamous little hard liquor stopper memento from their first night of shenanigans.

So every episode is going to be phenomenal then? That’s what we’re doing?

I can't believe that Gus only took a couple of sips of that rare wine, then walked away from the bottle!..

I think Kim will be done after this season because she never showed up in BB. She probably will have simply left after splitting with Odenkirk.

Well, I guess Ill be that guy. Disappointed by the direction theyre going to top it all off. Dont know if the last 3 episodes will have more impact. Black and White, still? Really? If theyre not going to do any more episodes in the past then get rid of the B&W I say. Meh, maybe Ive watched too much MARVEL.

Well, I guess Ill be that guy. Disappointed by the direction theyre going to top it all off. Dont know if the last 3 episodes will have more impact. Black and White, still? Really? If theyre not going to do any more episodes in the past then get rid of the B&W I say. Meh, maybe Ive watched too much MARVEL.
What's wrong with Black and White? It's to show we're in Gene's world - which is a great directorial choice because it's often used for reasons of nostalgia - and this keeps the viewer guessing that maybe - this world is not the last world that Jimmy inhabits.

It is also perhaps a nod to the film 'Nebraska', (Gene has relocated to Omaha, Nebraska) which is shot in black and white and is brilliant film.

I'm still on board as well. The only thing I was confused about was Jeff, who was previously played by Don Harvey.

It's pretty sad that Gene can't be himself to anyone in his new life. He probably would prefer to have a shoulder to cry on sincerely rather than for distraction purposes like he did with the security guard. Also, it goes without saying, but Carol Burnett is awesome.

The two first episodes of the second half here was absolutely amazing. This show has such a high level when it really wants to.

The newest B&W I actually also really liked. But obviously it couldn’t quite match the first two. But it was interesting to be sure. And showed us a lot of where “Saul” is in this new Gene world…

I take it that it was just this episode being entirely like that. Because while it ended openly, it still kind of told what needed to be told about who Saul is now.

I look very much forward to the last couple of episodes. No matter the quality it’s 100 percent always a joy visually. Absolutely majestic most of the time.

What's wrong with Black and White? It's to show we're in Gene's world - which is a great directorial choice because it's often used for reasons of nostalgia - and this keeps the viewer guessing that maybe - this world is not the last world that Jimmy inhabits.

It is also perhaps a nod to the film 'Nebraska', (Gene has relocated to Omaha, Nebraska) which is shot in black and white and is brilliant film.
Yeah I see the black and white as representing all the excitement and passions in his life are gone. No Kim, he can’t be a lawyer, he can’t be a conman, he is just existing as a nobody with no one in the middle of nowhere.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So where's the show going? I can't wait to find out Jimmy/Saul's fate.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been thinking how poetic it would be if he was caught and tried but represented himself as Saul Goodman in full flow, charming the pants off the jury and getting off with it. I'm a bit forgetful about the BB ending but what would the feds really have on him anyways?

Yeah I see the black and white as representing all the excitement and passions in his life are gone. No Kim, he can’t be a lawyer, he can’t be a conman, he is just existing as a nobody with no one in the middle of nowhere.
I see what you did there.