The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia: Charlie Chaplin devoted eight days to filming the department store roller-skating scene where he skates blind-folded on the edge of the fourth floor, coming within inches of falling down the deep stairwell below. The dangerous large drop was actually a painted scene in a pane of glass carefully placed in front of the camera to align with the existing set and create the illusion of great height.

Two enjoyable watches in Amélie and Modern Times with the former definitely one of those that would have been in contention for a spot on my ballot had I made one.

Seen: 32/62

None of these made my ballot, but the three I've seen had their specific charms.

Dumb and Dumber lives up to its title. Although I wish to never see or think about that bathroom scene ever again, I do agree there's some very funny moments in there (such as the scene involving the women in the bus or when the kidnappers find what's in the bag). Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels make a great team...it's a shame I have to pretend this was a one-off.

Borat (not referring to it by its marquee busting full title) works best as a cringe comedy where it's about holding a mirror to its flawed participants. Whether riling up the crowd at a rodeo, discussing his plans with a group of frat boys from South Carolina or upsetting the members of a Southern dining club, Cohen and director Larry Charles use Borat's flawed character to shine a light on the flaws of the other participants. Borat is a balancing act (one which I think Bruno messed up) that manages more hits than misses.

I found Amelie to be more a charming picture than an out and out comedy. But I'm not going to question other people's opinions. Featuring Audrey Tautou as a curious woman who is able to change and transform lives based on things she does throughout the film, Amelie definitely qualifies as a feel good film.

Haven't seen Modern Times. I do have a giant gap in the classic silent comedies category and I should work on filling that up.

Predictions on how likely the films in my list will show up:

1. 50 percent
2. 40 percent
3. 40 percent
4. 100 percent
5. 100 percent
6. 95 percent
7. 90 percent
8. 100 percent
9. Clue
10. 100 percent
11. 55 percent
12. 50 percent
13. 95 percent
14. 100 percent
15. 5 percent
16. 20 percent
17. 5 percent
18. 5 percent
19. 60 percent
20. 30 percent
21. 50 percent
22. 75 percent
23. 5 percent
24. 50 percent
25. 0 percent

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Amelie is funny? I think not.

I was just talking to a forum member yesterday about Captains list and I told him Amelie will make it because mofo doesn't know funny based off this list recently. And here it is.

I watched Modern Times a couple of weeks ago on YouTube. I prefer it to City Limits because it mingles Chaplin's humor and sentiment beautiful instead of shifting between the two.

Seen 39/62

Hmmm...Totally whiffed on this countdown so far. Going in, thought my top ten was solid, now hoping to get two on the countdown. Also, no hope my #1 will be here. Disappointed within myself.

My ballot:  

My ballot: *3/61 (1-ptr hit)
My 2nd ballot: 6/61
Seen: 50/61
1-ptrs seen: 16
Put on watch list: 5
Meh, Huh, WTF: 6

I forgot the opening line.
Well, a lot of films that have been revealed so far = truly great films, some of the greatest and ones I rank very highly on "best ever" lists - but they are so different to what I expected on a "best comedies" list.

Amélie is great, a real classic, and a comedy, but I've seen it appearing on a few countdowns so far and so never considered it for my list. Also, like with some other titles that have shown up, there are other aspects that shine so brightly apart from it's comedy that when thinking "comedy" it doesn't get into that top bracket. Foreign Language film yes - and overall film - but as far as comedy is concerned it doesn't rank as one of the greatest, although it's still very good. Amélie's charm, beauty, heart and wisdom helped to blow me away when I saw it, and while it's comedy is very very good, I don't think it lifts it into the "best comedy ever" stratosphere with people busting their guts over the funny stuff that happens, as funny as it may be.

Modern Times was expected, and I like that very much as well, but there's another Chaplin film I like more - one that I think will be his highest ranking on this - but in any case I don't think I went with any of his films. Buster Keaton is my preferred. I have so many beloved comedies I hold dear that I could only go with Keaton's and others that have knocked me onto my behind. At a cinema, or at home, or with friends or family. Who knows - maybe none from my list will show and this crazy countdown will continue like this unto the end.

To make it doubly clear, I'm not arguing about genre. I'm arguing about how much of these film's status and effect as comedies over and above the other genres they're mixed with help them on what is a Best Comedies list, instead of a Best Movies that are Comedies list.

Seen 47/62

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
Amelie is funny? I think not.

I was just talking to a forum member yesterday about Captains list and I told him Amelie will make it because mofo doesn't know funny based off this list recently. And here it is.

Modern Times isn’t one of the two Chaplins I voted for, but it would’ve been my third. His most imaginative endeavor, with tons of memorable stunts and slapstick. Feeding machine sequence is top tier

I really don’t have a reason to, but I’ve always avoided Amelie like the plague , despite it always appearing on these countdowns. I’ll get to it one day, just have never chosen it between something else

Hmmm...Totally whiffed on this countdown so far. Going in, thought my top ten was solid, now hoping to get two on the countdown. Also, no hope my #1 will be here. Disappointed within myself.

My ballot:  

My ballot: *3/61 (1-ptr hit)
My 2nd ballot: 6/61
Seen: 50/61
1-ptrs seen: 16
Put on watch list: 5
Meh, Huh, WTF: 6

In terms of #1s making the countdown (and I suspect mine was a comparably deeper cut, so its presence was less guaranteed than my #2 or #3), Sullivan's Travels made the list with 61 points. So if a movie gets 62 points, that means it's on the list somewhere. Your #1 placements gave it 25 points, so in one sense that really breaks down to, do you think it managed to get 37 points from other people or not?

Modern Times - is the one Chaplin film I remember chuckling at. This unfortunately means City Lights will probably be the top ranking Chaplin film. I was somewhat hoping for MT to pull that off since it was a comedy countdown.

Amelie - Despite really like City of Lost Children as a teenager (but not really rewatching it many times), going back and enjoying Delicatessen, and then when Amelie came out, thinking, "I should really watch this just because I enjoyed the weirdness the other two," I never did and never have in the decades since.

I have rewatched Alien: Resurrection recently though and will just imagine they're the same movie. It has its moments, though also a mess. Kind of nuts that's the route the went with a major franchise.

Modern Times: I think The Gold Rush was the first Chaplin I ever saw, and while the roll dance was an indelible moment for me, I think it was Modern Times where the real obsession with this guy began. I would watch this over and over, and somehow an actor in a film from silent times, who I could only assume was already dead and who lived a kind of life that had absolutely no relation to me, spoke to me. Which really was his genius above everything else. As brilliant as Keaton was, Chaplin stepped into the room with you and embodied all of the complicated emotions involved in being human. He was as much an eternal trouble maker as he was the giant beating heart of cinema, probably the man above all others who showed us how deep a movie could strike. How much it knew us in our troubles and our good times. This is obviously a great movie (all of his movies are). And while this one isn't my favorite (if I had included any, it would have been City Lights) it has the funniest moment in any of his films. I will never not delight over him being molested by the feeding machine, then every so gently having it wipe off his mouth between each new defilement.

Amelie: I agree with Apex in that I find this more charming than funny. But that said, it's obvious the whole film is rooted in a whimsical and mischievous humour that makes those who are on board smile. Never considered it for the list, but I think it is a miracle of a film. It has a purity of spirit and an endless inventiveness that should appeal to anyone who isn't afraid to indulge in a movie this delicate.

Modern Times was #7 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s. Amélie was #16 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s, #10 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium, #34 on the original MoFo Top 100, and #18 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I loved Amelie first round but am probably five years past due for a rewatch. Maybe this will give me the kick I need.

Modern Times is probably about fifth on my Chaplin list. Needs a rewatch though. Pleased City Lights will take the Chaplin crown.

Yes I'm loving it! Today's movies are both excellent additions to our countdown I love both Amelie & Modern Times both are amazing and in a way remind me of each other.

I'm on the fence over how much I like Amelie as a movie. Been a good while since I've seen it.

Modern Times: I went with two different Chaplin films instead, but I'm glad this film made this list as well. With a lighter focus on sentiment, its certainly the least Chaplin-esque out of what I've seen from him (for better or for worse as I love Chaplin's style, personally), but I enjoyed the detour with this film quite a bit. A few of his other films left a larger impression on me though.

Amelie: It's certainly a cute film which, due to its brand of whimsical humor and vibrant colors, is able to produce non-stop smiles from those on board with it. However, it never went past its cuteness for me and this charm wore off as I watched it. While it had the bones of a great film, it lacked the meat of one. I found little character depth or other interesting themes to keep me on board with it.

Anyways, neither film made my ballot.

I need to go on my laptop and check my list but I think Borat was my number 3. Always been a film which I find myself laughing constantly, amazing how simply putting on a performance as Borat that Sacha Baron Cohen manages to create so many funny moments through interactions with real humans.