Who here thinks that Religious Movies are not necessary?(Warning:Controversial themes

Tools    

I was sitting here thinking about things...and then i thought! Why make Religious movies?
I know this is a VERY VERY controversial topic, but i'll try to take is as slow and gentle as i can put it.....

I recently saw "The Passion of the Christ" starring Jim Caviezel, directed by Mel Gibson. I thought it was sending out a powerful message to the audience. It was good, because it showed us all that Jesus died for our sins.....and ya da ya da. I don't want to offend any people's religions....but I think we would be much better off without Religious movies. It really doesn't help us. And if there were such religious movies.....why not just send it to like a church for viewing or right out to video for educational purposes?
Now, you are probably thinking....yeah i see your point, buddy. But, you don't have to SEE the movie at all if you dont want to. IT is just a choice. I know i know. But, I just don't like the fact that movies like this portraying Religious themes should not compete with hollywood...and just be made by the church or religious people that want to send a message to the kids. It should not be UP FOR OSCARS, OR EMMY'S OR ANYTHING. Religion is just an idea.

What do you think?

Are any movies "necessary"? What possible difference could it make what the source material is?

It ain't controversial. It's a big "Who Cares?".
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden, you get a cookie.

The ®æPe® øƒ Pãïñ ¿
I'm not a religious person, Never will be either being as i see religion as just a form of power. I've also seen Pasion of christ though and thought it was a very good film, The Gory scences made me cringe to hell lol. I Don't think it matters if theres religious films or not, i mean walking down the street you have relgion in your face, like " Worship christ here!" Etc, Could just be an attempted to swing more people to religion!
Only religious film i've seen is Pasion Of Christ, And the ones we're forced to watch in Religious Education :/ lol.

bigger question, are movies period necessary

what exactly is a Pagan?

The ®æPe® øƒ Pãïñ ¿
Originally Posted by Animal_Mother
All I can say is Thank myself i'm Pagan
What is the difference between a Pagan and a Wiccan ? :/
Other then the name

movies are an expression of the mind and is considered an art form...yes we need movies of all types...whether religious, romantic, comedic or dramatic...it's up to the movie going public to pick what they want to see....

in answer to your question ...a pagan is someone who believes in different gods and goddesses like the old greeks or romans...

wiccan is a belief in witchcraft.....

what if u belive in both gods and witchraft. Coz i think both are believable

what r they called?

http://www.dotworlds.net

Interesanci. Interestamont. (<-----both spelled wrong) Im very intrigued by this several things in this thread, and it has NOTHING to do with the content.

Well said Holden.

A better question is why do YOU care Movie_bug, and why not just come out with what's really bugging you?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
why are so many people going out of their way to be "Controversial" around here lately? This, the "I hate America" thread....whatever happened to actually discussing things rationally instead of trying to provoke people?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Very astute deduction, Monkeypunch! I was thinking along the same lines myself. What exactly is so contreversial? And notice how most of the people in this thread are new? ...uh....uh.....me included too, I guess!

Holden beat me to it; no movie is "necessary." Religious films do not resemble church anymore than period films resemble history books.

Now, it's possible for a religious film to be more religion than film, but The Passion of the Christ has a great deal of artistic merit, and becoming too preachy is a pitfall any movie with a message can potentially fall into, religious or not.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I have a couple of questions about why you think what you think:

Originally Posted by MOVIE_bug
... I thought it was sending out a powerful message to the audience. It was good, because it showed us all that Jesus died for our sins.....but I think we would be much better off without Religious movies. It really doesn't help us.
So, you see that the movie was done well, but you don't want to think about the message. That's ok. That's how I feel about it, too. I'm not a Christian. BUT this movie showed me a very powerful story about the strength of Jesus, about how much he was willing to go through to do what he felt was right. Why keep people from seeing that story, by labelling it a "religious movie" and not making it?

And if there were such religious movies.....why not just send it to like a church for viewing or right out to video for educational purposes?
Why leave it up to a church or an educational establishment to decide what we're allowed to see? Don't you want to make that decision for yourself?

Do you think that historical movies should only be made by historians, and you should have to go to school to see them?

But, I just don't like the fact that movies like this portraying Religious themes should not compete with hollywood...
This movie was made by Hollywood. It's not competing with it. Are you worried that you missed a good movie because this was made, instead? It doesn't really work that way.

and just be made by the church or religious people that want to send a message to the kids. It should not be UP FOR OSCARS, OR EMMY'S OR ANYTHING. Religion is just an idea.

What do you think?
Religion isn't just for kids. And it's not just for people who go to church. It's for whoever wants to think about it.

This movie was made through the same processes as every other movie out there. Why should it not be able to be nominated for awards?

Da Shizzle here, and I've got a dog named Suzy Home Maker, and I'll also be damned if I ever saw such a thing limp off the wall before. NECESSARY?!?!?!?! What is necessary?, huh, Chap? There's some orange lids laying around if that's something you'd find interesting. Or some custard grates? Huh? I'd be warry of anything resembling a wire fish that shoots lightning at you during your next sin... and there will be a next one. Balee' dat' home slice. I'll give you a good rep for causin' a ruckus though.

Oh yeah, I think any film is necessary, even the Nazi propaganda films (that one lady director was da' bomb digaddy'). We learned what not to believe, and some new techniques. (I don't support nazis if you didn't understand that last part)

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Actually Paganism is an earth based religion which lays emphasis on the worship of all aspects of nature, Paganism (like susan said) can be traced back to ancient Roman/Greek religions, Godess worship and Druidism. Paganism also preaches self worship. The main point of Paganism, is that we do not believe in heaven or hell, but re-incarnation. There are also quite a few forms of Paganism such as Celtic Paganism or Neo Paganism(new-age paganism, or Heathenism). And for the record Wicca and Paganism are often thought of as the same thing.... Which they are not. But Wicca is a relative (I guess you could call it that) of the older Pagan practices. And Paganism has many interesting facts about it. Such as Stonehenge. It was built as a place of worship for the druids, which is a form of Paganism

A movies a movie... it's content is not to be taken likely or to be held to any higher standard. Controversial or agreeable... it's your own spin on it and if you don't like it... don't see it. Some films may upset you, and again, don’t see it. Every movie has at least some controversial issues towards a single person or an entire nation, religious or not. But who “really” cares???