The Gunslinger 45's Top 12 Favorite Firearms

Tools    

Master of My Domain
[/b]
Clearly you are not a Democratic congressman.
I'm not associated with any party; I just think the way I want to.

5. 1911A1 – 45 ACP (USA)

Because every man should own a 1911. This is to most shooters the greatest gun ever designed by John Moses Browning. And considering that the man invented the pump action shotgun, the auto loading shotgun, designed the 30 caliber water and air cooled belt fed machine guns, the 50 caliber machine gun we still use today in the Army, and was the same man who designed the Browning Hi Power 9mm pistol. This man is a legend in the gun designer field and one of my personal heroes. In fact the 1911 was the favorite weapon of another one of my heroes, Colonel Jeff Cooper.

Cooper was the gun fighter’s guru. And when one of the gun’s biggest champions was the man who invented the 4 rules of gun safety, the principles of personal defense, pioneered the modern handgun techniques still used today, and a man who has “seen the elephant” you know you are looking at a quality weapon.

I mean the gun was in service to the military for decades. And even though the Beretta M9 is the standard sidearm for the military right now, many elite units still prefer the 1911. This was also one of the first guns I ever shot. The first two guns I ever shot were the Beretta M92F (aka the M9), a Smith and Wesson 686 in 357 Magnum, and a 1911. Ever since that day I have been a fan of this gun and a huge fan of the cartridge.

The weapon is a single stack 45 caliber pistol, so even with the big round it still fits well in the hand. It is a single action pistol with arguably the best trigger of any firearm on the planet. A good 1911 trigger should “break like glass” allowing for a very easy trigger pull. What made this pistol so successful was that even when used in war with full metal jacket (or ball) ammo the big bore pistol was able to stop enemies a lot easier then the German’s 9mm or the 38 Long Colt that was the standard issue pistol before the 1911. This side arm has served service men since World War I and has been one of if not the most popular pistol selling in the USA. I mean there are so many companies that make 1911s these days. A man has plenty to choose from. And when I finally get 1911 I will buy one with GI specs from Springfield. Probably around when I buy another Walther P1.

4. Smith & Wesson 686 – 357 Magnum (USA)

As much as I love my semi auto handguns, I still love a good revolver. This was one of the other handguns I shot that fateful day in Florida. And ever since that day I wanted to get my hands on one. And you know what? I did. This weapon is chambered in 357 Magnum. But like any 357 revolver, can use the cheaper and less powerful 38 Special for training purposes. So for a guy who is used to hi cap pistol mags, why do I keep a revolver? The answer lies in the sweet trigger this gun has. While the 1911A1 has a very short and light trigger because it is a single action handgun, I prefer the double action of this revolver. I shoot double action for my duty gun, so I am very used to long trigger pulls. And this handgun has a sweet and smooth trigger pull even with its double action trigger. Hell I am actually more accurate shooting it double action then cocking it into single action! Not to mention it is just very easy to maintain. With my semi autos you have to oil the slide, clean the mags, clean the barrel, and lube up the barrel. With a revolver just clean the barrel and make sure the cylinder rotates and you are golden.

While the Colonel was an advocate of the 1911A1, another one of my personal heroes used a Smith and Wesson revolver. He was a New York cop named Jim Cirillo.

He worked for them during the 60’s and 70’s, and spent a good deal of time with the city’s Stake-Out Squad. And during his gun fights, he was using a Smith & Wesson Military and Police 38 Spl (or Model 10) as his duty handgun. So the revolver can be used effectively as a combat handgun. But I need a bit more punch with my tastes in revolvers.

3. Magnum Research Inc. Desert Eagle XIX – 50 Action Express (USA/Israel)

Because why the hell not! As I said when I talked about the 44 Magnum, I have a deep love for magnum handguns. And my favorite one is this gem. A semi automatic 50 caliber handgun that before the invention of the 500 Smith & Wesson revolver, was THE most powerful handgun on the planet. Hell for years this handgun was deemed impossible to make. Enter one little company in Minnesota named Magnum Research Incorporated. The concept of this handgun began in the early 80’s and it was originally chambered in 357 Magnum. At about 80% functionality, the company sent to the Israel Military Industries company for fine tuning. And the Israelis put the finishing touches on the handgun leading to the completion of this beast of a handgun. Most semi auto handgun are just a blow back or delayed blowback system design, this thing has a gas system and rotating bolt like my Army issue M4 Carbine! Who does that on a handgun? The Americans and Israelis that’s who! And in 1996 the Desert Eagle was released in 50 Action Express. Bringing this hand cannon to its zenith.

We have all seen this handgun in the movies. This was used by Arnie in Eraser, Agent Smith used one in The Matrix, and the lycains had them in Underworld. Not to mention you see them a bunch in video games like in Counter Strike, Max Payne, and Call of Duty. In fact, I first learned about this weapon from the video game Resident Evil 2. Leon Kennedy gets the Desert Eagle in his campaign, and ever since then I have wanted to get one to try it out. And the day came when I finally tried it out. Rented one at a range, shot it, and now I want one bad! In fact it will be my next purchase.

So why do I want one? Well I want at least one hand cannon in my collection, and the 50 AE round has twice the stopping power of the 44 Magnum. And also, because it is fun! Granted the price tag of the pistol being over $1,500.00 and about $2.00 a round is expensive, it is worth the price tag. Not to mention since some foppish colonial nitwit decided it was a good idea to bring European boars to America, many states have wild boar in their woods that Mother Nature never intended to be there. Texas is one such state. They intrude on the natural habitat of natural indigenous species and tear up farm land of the locals. And since Texas considers boars vermin they are always in season and there is no limitations on how to hunt them. I think one day I need to go boar hunting with the Desert Eagle. And again, the recoil is very noticeable, but it is not THAT bad.

Observe:
Gunslinger fires a 50 caliber pistol

I think that's the gun that Bullet Tooth Tony has in Snatch.

Enjoying this thread Gunslinger.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
That fvcker has some pretty good kickback, always wanted to shoot one of those, but I've never seen one up here. Also I wish I could give you an extra +1000 for "foppish colonial nitwit" that made me laugh pretty hard so well played sir.

2. Sig Sauer P220 – 45 ACP (Switzerland/Germany)

Ever since I shot the 1911A1, I have been a fan of the 45 ACP cartridge. In fact I used to be one of those “45 ACP guys” that many in the gun culture make jokes about. “I carry a 45 because shooting twice is silly” “I carry a 45 because they don’t make a 46” and the like. In fact my very first gun was an H&K USP in 45 ACP. I really liked the gun, but eventually sold it since the double stack 45 was just a bit much for me to hold for it to be a truly effective combat pistol. As such I would eventually look to another gun, and another manufacturer to fill this void.

I got injured while in the military during basic training. And while at the house for a month I decided I needed something to lift my spirits. So I did some firearms shopping. And I found a Sig Sauer P220 brand new online and had it shipped to my local FFL. The handgun was a single stack 45 ACP. All the 45 ACP goodness but in a package much easier to get a good grip on. Top it off the model I bought comes with a threaded barrel, so one day I could end up suppressing it. But how does it actually shoot? When I finally shot it, I was hooked. And somewhere on this site is a video of me splitting a 45 bullet on an axe head to pop two ballons. The gun not only became my go to range gun and my favorite traveling companion on road trips, but it also made a once loyal H&K fanboy into Sig guy.

Sig Sauer is the brand I now swear by. The company is owned by the Swiss, but they use German manufacturing to produce their weapons. And they are one of the best companies for firearms on the planet. I have had no issues with the Sigs I have owned and shot. And while I have met many people who say the Sigs are too expensive and prefer Glocks, I would rather pay extra for the Sig and have the gun feel like it belongs in my hand, to a cheaper gun with a TERRIBLE grip. So what could beat out my Sig? Well… another Sig.

1. Sig Sauer P226 DAK – 9mm (Switzerland/Germany)

The P226. Now I said Sig Sauer is one of the best firearms companies in the world. Now how did it get that reputation? Well in Europe they had a very good rep already thanks to the rich Swiss tradition of arms making. But they really hit their mark in part with the P226 in the US. The US Army was in the market to adopt a new standard sidearm. And in the early 80’s the “wonder nine” idea was still pretty hot. For those who don’t know the “wonder nine” was a term coined to describe new handguns that were in 9mm, had high capacity magazines, and could fire the first round double action, and follow up shoots would be single action.

And in 1982-1984 they US Army held trials of various firearms manufacturers who entered their guns in hopes of getting a fat government contract. And in the end, only two firearms passed all the technical tests set forward by the Army: The Beretta 92 FS and the Sig Sauer P226. Both were fit for the job, but the Army chose to adopt the Beretta as the new M9 pistol. Not because the gun was any better, but because the Beretta was cheaper, and the Army always goes for the lowest bidder.

So Sig Sauer loses out on a huge Army contract. But it then became adopted by many a law enforcement agency. Now Glock is still the most used handgun in law enforcement, but Sig Sauer is the very easy number 2. And again, Glock people can keep their gun with crappy grips, I will stick to the Sig Sauer. Sig has contracts to deliver handguns to agencies and departments across the nations and in many different calibers. One such department is my own. I was issued a Sig Sauer 9mm pistol when I was at the academy. Mine is the P226 DAK model. This is the double action kellerman model with a two stage double action trigger. While many civilian models will have the first shot fire double action and the rest of the following shots will be single action. I myself have learned to love and appreciate this trigger design and have become quite adept at shooting it. Now this is in part because of frequent range trips and dry fire exercises, but also just good craftsmanship. The pistol fits perfectly in my hands and the gun is ridiculously accurate, even at the 25 yard line. It is my favorite gun to shoot. It is also the most important gun I shoot.

When I am on duty, this is the weapon I carry. The only modifications I have made to the weapon is the instillation of night sights and the addition of a weapon mounted light. Because if I am going to pull the trigger I want to know what the hell I am aiming at. With proper care, this gun should last a 25-30 year career. And it is my most favorite gun.

Very cool thread, I only just found it. Those are some pretty impressive weapons you fired!

I've fired two of them on your list, the Colt AR-15 and the 1911A1 – 45 ACP. I own two 1911: a WWI version 1911 in black and a unissued WWII 1911A1 in green parkerized finish. Oh and I have the Walther P38 WWII made late in the war 1945, it's in excellent condition but amazing at how much slope there is in the moving parts.

Very cool thread, I only just found it. Those are some pretty impressive weapons you fired!

I've fired two of them on your list, the Colt AR-15 and the 1911A1 – 45 ACP. I own two 1911: a WWI version 1911 in black and a unissued WWII 1911A1 in green parkerized finish. Oh and I have the Walther P38 WWII made late in the war 1945, it's in excellent condition but amazing at how much slope there is in the moving parts.
Nice collection! Especially the unissued 1911A1!

You ready? You look ready.
Thread bump: I didn’t feel like making a thread for firearms.

I’ve been reconsidering ownership of a firearm given all the whackos going Columbine. Nothing fancy or outlandish. Either a M9 or a 1911 but in their .22 variations.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Thread bump: I didn’t feel like making a thread for firearms.

I’ve been reconsidering ownership of a firearm given all the whackos going Columbine. Nothing fancy or outlandish. Either a M9 or a 1911 but in their .22 variations.

This Mossberg 12-gauge pump holds 7 shells. It's legal everywhere, and is great for home defense. Best part: they're cheap, both new and used.

~Doc

I don’t worry about home defense but a 20 gauge is just as effective. I’m more concerned about getting caught out in public by some whacko. Sure, a .22 doesn’t have stopping power but I’m not looking to kill, even if it’s a whacko with an AR. Besides, a whole clip of .22s does = stopping power.

Most of the “threats” you hear about in the news are cowards and as soon as they’re engaged they stop or kill themselves. I just would feel a lot more comfortable in public knowing I can engage swiftly and definitively if I am caught in such a situation that warrants engagement. All firearms are dangerous and all will kill. Plus, a .22 is going to be cheaper to train with regularly (the most important part of self defense is muscle memory) and the recoil makes getting back on target a breeze.
EDIT: It should be noted that I’ve grown up around firearms and I’m no stranger to them. The fact that I haven’t thought about owning one until now is because I didn’t quite trust myself but Jesus the times really have changed, and I trust others even less.

Also, I got away from going target shooting because the people I went with scared me. That business end is ALWAYS dangerous and not everyone has been trained the same as me. Or @The Gunslinger45 for that matter.

Maybe pepper spray? The more powerful fogger stuff that sprays a powerful blast like 20 feet (not the tiny stream spray crap). I have the potent fogger spray and tested it one time and accidentally got caught in the side cloud of it, it TOTALLY incapacitated me. I couldn't stop coughing and could not open my eyes at all as they burned too much. I had to crawl into the house and take like a 30 minute shower. It was hell!

The thing is with the good type of pepper spray you don't have to worry about being a good aim, and you don't have to worry about killing an innocent person. Just a thought I'm not trying to change your mind.

@Citizen Rules: And what if I’m caught down wind?
Do you mean in a defensive use? I image you would discharge the pepper spray holding your arm out as far as you could and holding your breath, then running. I bought two of them so I could practice with one of them.

I get what you’re saying and it has its merits, but I’m trying to prepare for an active shooter and there’s no substitute for another firearm in that kind of situation. Obviously, I’m going to remove myself from the situation first and foremost. But if that’s not possible I’m not hiding out praying the cops respond fast enough.

And while I live in an area with an abundance of firearms I’d rather not rely on some other bystanders aim/skills: I’m not joking when I say “Be Prepared”. Those Boy Scouts really did know what they were talking about and if I’m already packing a first aid kit then I don’t see why I shouldn’t take the motto to the extreme.