→ in
Tools    

Ok, so the name is not the most creative in the world and probably not the easiest to market, but never mind that, this movie was amazing. They could have called it kittens playing with yarn balls and it would still have kicked ass. Full of action and a decent story line backed up by decent acting and brilliant dirrecting. The movie follows the quest of the confidante (almost cocky) race known as the "spartans". The king marches 300 of his best men into battle against an army of hundreds of thousands. The movie was very entertaining overall and fun to watch. I think its the movie that "TROY" tried to be, but failed at miserably.
-FRANK

I saw it and thought it was okay. Some of the diologue was bad and it wasn't exactly authentic. All in all, worth seeing once and not much more than that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" centres on the 300 Spartans that defended their freedom with their lives against an army of thousands.

What can one say about “300” that hasn’t already been said? One simply has to watch the trailer to know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they go to see “300”, a visually stunning film that piles the bodies high and blood splatter higher. Without a well known cast and a director that only has one film under his belt it would take something impressive to attract people. The “300” trailer did just this, as hype of the film spread like wildfire throughout the internet and months before it’s release was being hailed as the next big thing in cinema. Well, the film has finally arrived and it’s safe to say that you can add it to the list along with: “The Matrix”, “Star Wars”, “LOTR” and “Citizen Kane” as films that have changed the way we look at cinema.

“300” opens with a back-story to a normal starting life of a Spartan, if the baby is born too small or too weak, it’s literally tossed off a cliff. Taught to fight as early as he can walk, the Spartan must learn to be tough and leave no room for weakness. Every Spartan must go through a test, in the film’s case it was against a wolf. This has been done for years and you get the sense that these guys are serious. The film has two different stories, one is the obvious: 300 Spartans vs Persian Army, the other is The Queen back in Sparta dealing with the fact her husband might die. It's her duty to get more soliders out there to his aid, but not everyone in Sparta is supporting her cause. Now, it doesn't take a genius to know that most of the story centres on the battle and everyone will want the story to centre on the Spartans. It seemed to me that the point of the queens story is to take deep breaths so the viewer can regroup themselves.

“300” is the second film based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller. “Sin City” generated the same amount of hype across the globe and has its own unique visual style. If “Sin City” was the first step into the next generation of film, then “300” is a giant leap. Its beautiful colours are enough to draw an audience regardless of the films quality. Lucky for us it’s not just its visual style that makes the film good. Shot entirely on green screen, Snyder is able to create a world full of muscular Spartans, ugly monsters and violent battle scenes, creatively and effectively. The tans/yellows of the battle ground provide a great backdrop for the red coated Spartans. Boy, does that red ever jump out at you too.

Knowing the history of Spartans, the film is not totally accurate, but it gets the basics down. These warriors were born to be fighters and nothing else. The filmmakers intended to not be historically accurate in order to give an entertaining film, and it works like a charm. This is something “Troy” and “Alexander” suffered from greatly. Hearing the story that only 300 men defended themselves against thousands upon thousands could raise a few eyebrows. That’s until you see these warriors and their lifestyles. They don’t have normal professions back home. They’re not blacksmiths or carpenters, as one character says, they’re warriors, that’s their profession. These men were meant to fight and the actors look spot on. Gerard Butler, whom I only recognize fro the Tomb Raider sequel, embodies what a Spartan is. Here’s a guy who made me believe he was an actual Spartan. He has just the right amount of honours and leadership to command the army and the film; he does so with ease. Hidden behind a beard and his helmet for most of the film, Butler pulls off a great performance of a man who is not afraid to be on the front lines in battle. It’s an honest performance that could take some by surprise, if you think the film is only about yelling Sparta every couple of seconds, you’re only half right.

Snyder is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Here is a young guy with obvious talent, who took on two difficult films that had an audience before the film was released. Creating a worthy remake with “Dawn of the Dead”, Snyder tackled this project head on. Working on digital only enhances the creativity this guy can bring to a project. Only time will tell if he can solidify himself in the business with his next undertaking of “The Watchmen”.

Much like Miller’s other work, “300” is a brutal film that doesn’t let up with its content. The film tells you point blank that it’s going to be bloody violent and it actually keeps its promise. Only once or twice does it slow down for some dialogue, to let the viewer settle down after watching an onslaught of violence. The violence is stylized, mixing fast and slow motion left right and centre. The blood is CGI and legs, heads and arms do fly off at every corner. But the violence is stylized so much, that in the end the gore factor doesn’t seem like a lot. You know you’re watching gory images, but it doesn’t send chills down your spine, instead you simply think, “That was cool”. The entire film plays out like a wet dream to every movie aficionado, video game player, comic book reader (sorry graphic novel reader) out there. It’s a shame that Alan Moore hasn’t had as good a time at the movies as Frank Miller has, graphic novel adaptations need visionary directors. Snyder is one of these visonary directors that can only grow with more time and expeirence.

I totally recommend “300”, for anyone looking for a visionary film and who’s not afraid of violence on the screen. It’s a roller-coaster ride that only ends when the screen turns black. The final moments of the film gave me goose bumps and there are too many beautiful scenes to name one as my favourite. “300” earns its R rating; it’s a hard nose slobber-knocker. The body count is in the thousands and the blood is in the gallons. For a fully enjoyable experience, one should see this on IMAX. If you really want to know what “300” is like, it’s basically the trailer, extended past two hours.

9/10

Suspect's Reviews

amen brother, amen

I havn't posted on here in quite awhile but I had to post n say. Holy Mother! 300 was a terrific movie. Hard to believe that Leonidas was played by the same guy who played the Phantom of the Opera!

WARNING: "300" spoilers below
Anyone know why King Leonidas told the hunchback that he wished him to live forever near the end there? Was it pity in that he was happy this guy finally found a place of self worth and able to know pleasure. He did after all just betray the group of 300 did he not?

I havn't posted on here in quite awhile but I had to post n say. Holy Mother! 300 was a terrific movie. Hard to believe that Leonidas was played by the same guy who played the Phantom of the Opera!

I take it you've never seen Butler in Attila or Beowulf & Grendel….

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I take it you've never seen Butler in Attila or Beowulf & Grendel….
Nope, are they any good?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Anyone know why King Leonidas told the hunchback that he wished him to live forever near the end there? Was it pity in that he was happy this guy finally found a place of self worth and able to know pleasure. He did after all just betray the group of 300 did he not?

My guess is that he wished him that to make him feel guilty. Letting him know he betrayed his Spartan people and he will have to live forever with it. Or it could be the complete opposite, lol.

WARNING: "300a" spoilers below

The Hunchback obviously was in pain emotionally and physically and only death could release him from this, now along with the guilt he must carry, to live forever would be the best/worst torture one could imagine.

My guess is that he wished him that to make him feel guilty. Letting him know he betrayed his Spartan people and he will have to live forever with it. Or it could be the complete opposite, lol.

The Hunchback obviously was in pain emotionally and physically and only death could release him from this, now along with the guilt he must carry, to live forever would be the best/worst torture one could imagine.
Ok, I never thought of it that way. That is very possible actually. I believe I was thinking how I did during that scene because of the mood at the time given by King Leonidas' self expression through his face and voice tone. He didn't say it with the smallest degree of anger in his voice or his eyes. He said it in a more peaceful or serene way and look. I dunno. I'm confused even more now lol.

Two of the best scenes...

When Leonidas throws down his spear and shield and takes off his helmet. Then while the narrator explains "..his helmet is stifling, it narrowed his vision...his shield is heavy, it threw him off balance...his target was far away," Leonidas throws his spear and you see the shadow on the steps...definitely one of the best scenes in the movie...

and

This is SPAAAAARRRRTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I just loved the sound of Xerxes' voice. The stereo effect it gave out as he spoke making it someone they should fear.

Nope, are they any good?

Attila is not historically accurate… nor does Beowulf and Grendel follow the classic tale to the letter... but I still enjoyed them and thought Butler did a great job… Not too long after I saw Braveheart, I read that Gipson had bought the movie rights to a book about Robert the Bruce and if the movie is ever made, I would love to see Butler in the role of Bruce.

Attila is not historically accurate… nor does Beowulf and Grendel follow the classic tale to the letter... but I still enjoyed them and thought Butler did a great job… Not too long after I saw Braveheart, I read that Gipson had bought the movie rights to a book about Robert the Bruce and if the movie is ever made, I would love to see Butler in the role of Bruce.
I'd be happy enough with just the movie being made

WARNING: ""May You Live Forever"" spoilers below
Spartans can only attain ultimate glory in death. They know this, and they live with the one goal of reaching an honorable, glorious death. When Leonidus told the hunchback 'may you live forever,' he was basically saying that the hunchback would never have Spartan Glory. The hunchback knew what this meant.

All I can say is wow at the battle scenes. Love the slow-mo to show the vulgarity of the 300 :-)

I'm new member on this forum.

- It was because the ulitmate thing to spartans was to die a glorious death (preferrably in battle).....to wish that on him was wishing shame on him.....