The Best Country on Earth

Tools    

Of those I've been to (obviously...), Belgium (Brussels), or The US (New York). Both excellent on the food and architecture scales and that's what counts with me. Although I'm probably going to spend some time in Paris later this summer, and I hear that comes pretty highly recommended on both fronts.

I live in England, and my feelings of patriotism are generally lacking. It has its good points, but I don't plan on sticking around once I'm sufficiently educated.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Except for my home country (Sweden) I have only spent a longer period of time in Ireland (six months) and no offence to the Irish, but I prefer Sweden.

There's a lot of countries I would like to go to and some that I sometimes even dream of living in for some time (Spain, parts of US, London perhaps), but I do enjoy being a Swede. There's of course several things I would like to see change here or things I think should be done differently. But I like the "basic idea" of Sweden and the nature here. And everything they say about beautiful Swedish/Scandinavian women is true. It is insane actually. The weather during most of the year is depressing though...

But enough with the Sweden promotion... As I said, I would love to go to Spain. I don't know why, but I think I would love it there. I met a lot of Spanish people in Dublin when I lived there and almost all of them were great people. Barcelona is the place I would like to go to the most... I have only heard good things about it from those who've been there (lots of Swedes go there all the time), except for that many seem to be robbed there. He he.. And there's this other cool place that I always forget the name of (3 hours from Barcelona on the freeway apparently) where Picasso and Dali used to hang out and now it's this really nice place with lots of cafés and music and culture and stuff... That's sounds like a place worth checking out.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Yoda
Trinidad and Tobago. Duh.

Honorable mention: The Republic of Equatorial Kundu.
You didn't say why, oh venerable one. I'm looking to move, and while I dig the gamelan big time, it's not enough to make me consider Trinidad or Tobago.

I would love to go to Greenland

Out of the ones I have been to: Well the United States of course. Since it is my home country and it is the land of the free. There are beautiful buildings here such as the Sears tower, Empire State Building and just all the different places you can see, the mountains, beaches, deserts in one country.

Also France is also dear to my heart it is home to my Grams and Pop-Pop and where my dad was born. The museums are to die for and the Eiffel Tower is one of the best structures in the world in my opinion. Also the pastries are the best.

Southern Germany was a pleasure to live in for the three years I spent there in the 80's While in the Army. I loved the winters and the horse and carriges that were still being used in abundance.

Saudi Arabia was a beautiful place and most everyone was friendly when I was there for a few months.

I really want to make it to Ireland as I have a lot of family history there. I also would love to make it to Austraila

Been to a few other places, Canada, Mexico, Italy, Japan, and did a quick three day excursion to Russia in my younger days. Almost everywhere I have been has something amazing abut it. My favorite though is the good old U.S. It is not just pride, but some of the amazing geography here is awe inspiring. From the painted deserts to the rocky mountains to the white beaches here in florida we certainly have a varitey when it comes to geography. But hey it is also home and if you love home it is hard to imagine being anywhere else. So many opportunities are available here, not that they arent anywhere else of course, but I am proud to a U.S citizen.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Except for my home country (Sweden) I have only spent a longer period of time in Ireland (six months) and no offence to the Irish, but I prefer Sweden.
I wouldn't apologise Pete, I'm not mad keen on Dubliners either though the majority of Dubs I know feel the same way about us 'Nordies'. If you'd spent time up in Omagh (56 bars in a town of 20,000 - and that was only the number we could name off the top of our heads one night ) your opinion might have shifted a little.

I'm no great fan of my own country at this time of year but I've lived in worse places and my mood always lightens after the last Saturday in August.

I couldn't pick a 'best' country for the life of me but, of those I've spent quality time in, if I could pick little bits of France, Italy, England & Russia and drop them into the North of Ireland I'd be happy.

I'd drop those bits here because it's here that I identify with and here where I'm most comfortably identified. I lived most of my adult life in a country other than Ireland, was darned happy for the majority of it and the thought of returning crosses my mind at least once a day.

If I was to move I'd have to take those little bits of France, Italy and Russia with me though...and a huge great dollop from West Tyrone.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Alvin
I live in England, and my feelings of patriotism are generally lacking. It has its good points, but I don't plan on sticking around once I'm sufficiently educated.
My feelings towards this bizarre little Island are generally the same as this. I am glad that I am a British, and i maybe slightly more patriotic than you but i'm not too keen on living here for much longer. As soon as i get the dosh and fake my own death, I am outta here.

I've been to quite a few countries and I have to say that Britain's still my favourite. I'm not a patriot by any lengths, I mean I tend to feel a little uncomfortable around people who can use the word "empire" without flinching, but I honestly don't feel I could live for a great length of time anywhere else.

America's a lovely country, in many ways the antithesis of Britain. The people are warm and inviting, buses generally arrive on time and everything's either clean or in the process of being cleaned. It's terrifying. Americans don't understand the needs of a British person. Strangers talk to you when you're reading a newspaper for God's sake. That's a hanging offence on this side of the Atlantic. They don't understand how to queue, they never talk about the weather and shop staff engage you in discussions about music and smile warmly instead of throwing your change on the counter with a scowl. It's a freakish upside-down world where optimism rules with an iron fist and a sunny disposition. Worst of all, people don't moan. The six months I was there the worst I heard was a complaint about being mugged. In the UK I'm regarded as somewhat laidback, over there I was a real whiner. I left the place on the edge of a nervous collapse and I cannot tell you how relieved I was to return to the world of casual contempt and unspoken resentment that is the British public. I can play by those rules, I can chat about the weather and keep an internal tally of every minor wrong ever visited on me by a stranger. I can't cope with the US.

umm, most of continental Europe's ok. The French are much more like the British that either nationality would like to think. Germans actually have a great sense of humour when they're not trying to tell jokes they think the British like, another terrifyingly clean country though. Africa's largely a hellhole. I can't speak Japanese and the country leaves me feeling like I've just come out of a densely-populated acid trip. China unnerves me, it's the one country I've visited where the hotel TV didn't carry BBC News and I couldn't get a copy of the Times sent to my room. Australia's too hot, Canada's too cold and Russia's too likely to kill me while I'm sleeping. The Bahamas are too laid back and the rest of the tropics are either too unstable or corrupt. Give me the tabloid press, the vast tracts of industrial estate and the witless nostalgia for greater times of dear old Blighty. I don't want to live in a world where leaders are respected instead of villifed or intelligence is lauded over pig-headed common sense. I like the fact the average British person bears an unassaiable sense of superiority to everybody in the world. I am British, hear me apologise when you walk into me!

Christ, I guess I am a little more patriotic that I thought. Even if it's through inversion.

Having grown up in the US, I am both accutely aware of its faults and often simply bored with living here.

Of the places I've been:

Norway is the most beautiful, and probably the nation with which I feel the most spiritual connection. A little chilly though.

Japan is endlessly entertaining, as well as beautiful. There's always something new to do or see. The people, on the other hand, are less appealing.

Mexico smells and Canada is boring unless you're fishing. So much for North America.

I loved Argentina, but in all fairness, I've only seen the far south (and again, spent the time fishing).

Jamaica has some lovely areas, but the poverty/wealth divide is painfully obvious, even in areas that cater to tourists. And service sucks.

Well you all live in countries with oportunities and i live in Bulgaria The land of no perspectives.I love the country Bulgaria,but the Goverment sux.It has the most beautiful women in the whole wide world belive me!

But i must admit that USA is the best country[with perspective for a good life(no wonder everyone emigrates in the USA)] in the world

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I'll give you three guesses......
God said to St.Peter :
Let me create the most perfect land,
it shall have the freshest fish in the sea,
the most tasty livestock on the land,
there will be an abundance of fuel, coal, gas and oil,
the freshest water in the world,
the greenest hills on the planet,
and a pure golden nectar by the name of whiskey,
this oasis on earth shall be called Scotland.

St.Peter says to God :
It sounds too perfect to be true.
to which God replys :
Wait to you see the neighbours I'll give them!!!

Apart from my home, I love New York as my favourite city, but I love travelling and have found few places that I wouldn't return to, looking forward to a return trip to New Zealand, and I'll post my comments on Toronto on my return.
I do like parts of England, the far north part of the island,.....oh wait...........

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

i've never really been anywhere, but i'd say the U.S. of A. is pretty tight, New Zealand ( because of the hobbits ), Australia ( because of the sexy accent ), England ( because of the language and the green green grass ) and Ireland ( because i feel their mentality is really similar to croatian )...
honorable mention, Spain, because it's vibrant and gay ...

You ready? You look ready.
From all the countries I've been in it would have to be Switzerland. Hands down. Coming in second, with a tie, would be Greece and America.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza