World Cup 2006:Germany

Tools    

Who is excited!!!!!

Tell us your stories about this fanastic event..

and for fun check this out http://www.metacafe.com/watch/144433..._shaolin_team/

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oh yes

Are you supporting the US tho? Don't fancy their chances... massively... at all

Talking of stories tho, here's a very odd one... (which seems a bit unlikely really)...

Iran accuse Mexico of voodoo tactics
One Iranian official was quoted last month as saying his team wouldn't be fazed: "Real believers cannot be affected by such magic. And as the Iranian team has a deep religious belief, it will resist like an unconquerable castle."
But hey, who knew Serbia and Montenegro were splitting, but still fielding a team. [also in that article]. It's a world of info is the World Cup

I'm still confused by the photo in this article tho.

Good to see you around the place btw Eq

haha, always a pleasure to see my threads graced by your replied golg..

not a us supporter at all..Brazil and Italy and the Czech Republic are my teams...

those are interesting stories...

does anyone remember a soccer animation show called Captain Tsubasa?

I hate football. That is all.

I am having a nervous breakdance
"Excited" is not a strong word enough... I consider the World Cup to be the most ..eh.. exciting sports event in the world, even better than the Olympics in some ways.

Great thread this one, Eq!

During the last European and World cups a friend of mine has organized a so called World Cup Pool (?). Don't know the correct English term here... We're like a hundred guys who all pay a small sum of money and then we predict ALL the results in the 1st stage matches, which the last 16 will be, the quarter finalists, the semi finalists, the finalists, the winner, the runner up, the bronze medalists, the bronze runner up, the All Star Team, the top goal scorers and so on and so on... Then you collect points all the way through the Cup and the winner get some money. I have mine in an Excel document but I don't know how to put it up on here. Would love to hear your YAYS and BOOS about it...

In short... Brazil beats Spain in the final. England steals the bronze from Argentina. Sweden goes through to the 2nd stage but falls against Germany. Sensations: Croatia, Ukraine and Spain. Dissapointments: Italy (as usual), France and the African teams. Questions?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I think England has the potential to go far if they can avoid any further injuries, if they play like a team and if the key players play on top of their abilities. I predict that they will win the group ahead of Sweden, defeat Poland in the 1/8 final, play their game of the tournament against Holland in the quarter final and be a number to small for Brazil in the semi. Then their team moral will earn them the bronze against a disillusioned Argentina.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've not been excited by a World Cup for 20 years, since Billy Bingham's Green and White Army got trounced by Brazil on Pat Jennings' 41st Birthday. His wife sang at my parents' wedding, by the way, hands like shovels...ermmm...Pat's not Elenor's.

Definately agree with Pete though, the World Cup is the greatest sporting event of all.

I'll be a floating supporter so whomever plies me with enough drink gets my vote. That'll be Saudi Arabia and Iran out, I guess...

This is the site I'll be tuned into - Link.

My favourite WC moment was Gerry Armstrong's goal beating hosts Spain in 1982. He turned up at our school a few months later as part of a 'get kids playing football' type tour but had broken his ankle so couldn't have a kickabout. I got his autograph though and touched his Golden Boot.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Tell us your stories about this fanastic event..
i'll tell you as soon as i'm finished teaching those bloody hooligans some free fight techniques, and not to come back into my town...

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Sensations: Croatia, Ukraine and Spain. Dissapointments: Italy (as usual), France and the African teams. Questions?
i wish i shared your opinion....i think we're not gonna get through the group....
and i think this is definitely the biggest sporting event in the world, not even the olympics are accompanied by such hype....( everywhere apart from north america i would say )

"Excited" is not a strong word enough... I consider the World Cup to be the most ..eh.. exciting sports event in the world, even better than the Olympics in some ways.

Great thread this one, Eq!

During the last European and World cups a friend of mine has organized a so called World Cup Pool (?). Don't know the correct English term here... We're like a hundred guys who all pay a small sum of money and then we predict ALL the results in the 1st stage matches, which the last 16 will be, the quarter finalists, the semi finalists, the finalists, the winner, the runner up, the bronze medalists, the bronze runner up, the All Star Team, the top goal scorers and so on and so on... Then you collect points all the way through the Cup and the winner get some money. I have mine in an Excel document but I don't know how to put it up on here. Would love to hear your YAYS and BOOS about it...

In short... Brazil beats Spain in the final. England steals the bronze from Argentina. Sweden goes through to the 2nd stage but falls against Germany. Sensations: Croatia, Ukraine and Spain. Dissapointments: Italy (as usual), France and the African teams. Questions?
In the link that golg set up it says that this event is counted by the billions which means it definitly is the most watched sport event..

I really want to see this excel document can you please send it...my email is [email protected] (p.s dont care if i just publicly gave away my email).

send it!!!

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
In the link that golg set up it says that this event is counted by the billions which means it definitly is the most watched sport event..

I really want to see this excel document can you please send it...my email is [email protected] (p.s dont care if i just publicly gave away my email).

send it!!!
Sure, I'll send it even though it's in Swedish. I think you'll be able to figure it out anyway...

Hmph, predictions eh?

Brazil win - most likely.

England make it to quarter finals (and maybe better, never know )

Trinidad & Tobago draw with Sweden in group stages

Altho currently i'm refusing to care, coz i've gotta work on Saturday, and can only watch the game out of the corner of my eye. Bleh.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Hmph, predictions eh?

Brazil win - most likely.

England make it to quarter finals (and maybe better, never know )

Trinidad & Tobago draw with Sweden in group stages

Altho currently i'm refusing to care, coz i've gotta work on Saturday, and can only watch the game out of the corner of my eye. Bleh.
I'm off... Muaahahahahaha... All of Sweden's games!!! MUUUAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

There are those who call me...Tim.
Personally, I prefer Wimbledon, but I'll still be cheering on our lads from England from the comfort of my armchair.

Not because Wales didn't qualify or anything

I'm off... Muaahahahahaha... All of Sweden's games!!! MUUUAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
May you be cursed with a T&T hat-trick!!

*optional extra voodoo curse - the slap of a thousand paws*

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
Not because Wales didn't qualify or anything
I get a sneaky back-up team in the form of Australia . (And hell, i'm a touch Swedish too, come to that )

Oh, for a Brazilian relative

I've got my England flags out in force!

Rooney made the papers today. He kicked a ball.... whoopee. The paper people are desperate if this is the best they can come up with.

I seriously hope Argentina crash and burn during the world cup, cheating little blighters that they are.

Behind England I'm rooting for the outsiders of Japan.

Originally Posted by Revenant
I've got my England flags out in force!
What, no tattoos?

What tattoos.
I dont wear no tattoos.
The little fella just isn't my style.