Movies You Want To See On DVD, Or A Better Edition.

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'd love to see American History X get some new extras thrown it's way, along with Equilibrium.

As for a movie that I wish to actually become a DVD....

The Monster Squad.

If I had to pick one film that was a childhood favourite, this would get my vote!

Suspect's Reviews

The People's Republic of Clogher
Is this gonna be renamed The Blade Runner Thread?

Ken Branagh's Hamlet also needs releasing sharpish and, if we're talking about films which I can't walk into my local store to buy (I've got them anyway but that ain't the point), I'll throw in Altman's Short Cuts, Mike Leigh's Naked and Olivier Assayas' Irma Vepp (purely because of Maggie Cheung in a latex catsuit) - none of which are available on R2.

The Witchfinder General, with the original score (not the stupid keyboard crap of the American release), and not in a damn 2-on-1 package. Vincent Price's turn as Matthew Hopkins is really his only truly sinister performance, and it deserves a little recognition in the American market.

A system of cells interlinked
Blade Runner - My favorite film of all time, and one of the worst DVD transfers out there today. This NEEDS to be released with a new transfer and maybe some special features, as the current release doesn't even have a menu!

I honestly couldn't sit thought Blade Runner.. I thought it was rather boring and turned it off..

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

I'll diddo, American History X...the director had a different vision for the movie...so I would love a Director's Cut

Horrorphiliac

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Is this gonna be renamed The Blade Runner Thread?

Ken Branagh's Hamlet also needs releasing sharpish and, if we're talking about films which I can't walk into my local store to buy (I've got them anyway but that ain't the point), I'll throw in Altman's Short Cuts, Mike Leigh's Naked and Olivier Assayas' Irma Vepp (purely because of Maggie Cheung in a latex catsuit) - none of which are available on R2.
Good call with Hamlet. I haven't kept track, how many of Branagh's films have been released on DVD?

I was glad to see the recent release of The Virgin Spring by the Criterion Collection, I'd like to see them go back and get some of the earlier films from Kurusawa's career, especially the pre-Mifune stuff from the mid and late 1940s.

Ken Branagh's Hamlet also needs releasing.
Warner is currently hard at work on a long-awaited DVD release of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. The title is (as yet) unannounced, but it's been confirmed that they're working to get the disc on store shelves before the end of 2006.

Originally Posted by Purandara88
I haven't kept track, how many of Branagh's films have been released on DVD?
In R1, of the eight films he's directed thus far, five have been released (Henry V, Dead Again, Much Ado About Nothing, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Love's Labour's Lost) and three have not (Peter's Friends, A Midwinter's Tale and Hamlet).

And a Hamlet DVD is currently in the works, by the by.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Some favorites I'm still waiting for on R1 DVD...
  • The Great McGinty (1940 - Preston Sturges)
  • Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941 - Alexander Hall)
  • Johnny Eager (1942 - Mervyn LeRoy)
  • Hail the Conquering Hero (1944 - Preston Sturges)
  • The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944 - Preston Sturges)
  • The Blue Dahlia (1946 - George Marshall)
  • Odd Man Out (1947 - Carol Reed)
  • The Fallen Idol (1948 - Carol Reed)
  • Brute Force (1947 - Jules Dassin)
  • Macbeth (1948 - Orson Welles)
  • They Live by Night (1949 - Nicholas Ray)
  • The Gunfighter (1950 - Henry King)
  • Ace in the Hole (1951 - Billy Wilder)
  • Bigger Than Life (1956 - Nicholas Ray)
  • Lonely Are the Brave (1962 - David Miller)
  • The List of Adrian Messenger (1963 - John Huston)
  • The Pumpkin Eater (1964 - Jack Clayton)
  • Becket (1964 - Peter Glenville)
  • A Thousand Clowns (1965 - Fred Coe)
  • Chimes at Midnight (1966 - Orson Welles)
  • A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966 - Fielder Cook)
  • The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1968 - Robert Ellis Miller)
  • The Subject was Roses (1968 - Ulu Grosbard)
  • That Cold Day in the Park (1969 - Robert Altman)
  • Age of Consent (1969 - Michael Powell)
  • Performance (1970 - Donald Cammell & Nic Roeg)
  • Let it Be (1970 - Michael Lindsay-Hogg)
  • I Never Sang for My Father (1970 - Gilbert Cates)
  • Brewster McCloud (1970 - Robert Altman)
  • The Conformist (1971 - Bernardo Bertolucci)
  • The Anderson Tapes (1972 - Sidney Lumet)
  • Charley Varrick (1973 - Don Siegel)
  • The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973 - Peter Yates)
  • Payday (1973 - Daryl Duke)
  • Thieves Like Us (1974 - Robert Altman)
  • Freebie & the Bean (1974 - Richard Rush)
  • The Yakuza (1975 - Sydney Pollack)
  • 1900 (1976 - Bernardo Bertolucci)
  • The Silent Partner (1978 - Daryl Duke)
  • Inside Moves (1980 - Richard Donner)
  • Reds (1981 - Warren Beatty)
  • They All Laughed (1981 - Peter Bogdanovich)
  • Personal Best (1982 - Robert Towne)
  • Reuben, Reuben (1983 - Robert Ellis Miller)
  • Under the Volcano (184 - John Huston)
  • The Dead (1987 - John Huston)
  • The Chocolate War (1988 - Keith Gordon)
  • Hear My Song (1991 - Peter Chelsom)
  • The Music of Chance (1993 - Philip Haas)
  • King of the Hill (1993 - Steven Soderbergh)
  • Ruby in Paradise (1993 - Victor Nunez)
  • The Young Poisoner's Handbook (1995 - Benjamin Ross)
  • The Butcher Boy (1998 - Neil Jordan)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Hear My Song (1991 - Peter Chelsom)
That's a great little film. I've got it on VHS, along with a few of your list. A friend of mine used to go out with Adrian Dunbar in the days of fuel shortages and loon pants.

On a Branagh tip - it's not a movie but I've been waiting patiantly for years to see a release for The Billy Plays (1982-84) where Ken first came to the public attention. There's some wrangling over the rights apparently...

I could have sworn Here Comes Mr. Jordan had recently been released as part of a boxed set. I could be wrong. Rare, I know, but it has been known to happen.

That's a great little film. I've got it on VHS, along with a few of your list.
I have Hear My Song on LaserDisc, so I'm not exactly sweating a release - but it definitely needs to happen. I own bunches of those titles on LD: Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Brute Force, Macbeth, They Live by Night, The Gunfighter, Lonely Are the Brave, Performance, Brewster McCloud, The Anderson Tapes, Charley Varrick, Thieves Like Us, Freebie & the Bean, The Yakuza, They All Laughed, Under the Volcano, The Chocolate War, The Music of Chance, King of the Hill and The Butcher Boy. I have most of the others on VHS.

Some of the television shows I still want to be released on DVD are...
  • "Get A Life" (full season sets)
  • "The Larry Sanders Show" (only season one available)
  • "It's Garry Shandling's Show" (1986-1990)
  • "Barney Miller" (only season one available)
  • "Newhart" (1982-1990)
  • "Doctor, Doctor" (1989-1991)
  • "St. Elsewhere" (1982-1988)
  • "Maverick" (full season sets)

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And a Hamlet DVD is currently in the works, by the by.

Originally Posted by jrs
Warner is currently hard at work on a long-awaited DVD release of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. The title is (as yet) unannounced, but it's been confirmed that they're working to get the disc on store shelves before the end of 2006.

None that I know of that aren't on DVD, but as for a "better edition"...

- True Lies (Cameron, 1994)
- Kill Bill - The Whole Bloody Affair (Tarantino, 2003 & 2004)
- Dark City (Proyas, 1998)
- Face/Off (Woo, 1997)
- Darkman (Raimi, 1990)
- Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Sharman, 1976 (Good edition is OOP))

The Eliminators (1986)

for all sci-fi nuts, this one would be a gem on DVD...who wouldn't love a half-man/half-tank surperhero, with a boat load of freak sidekicks!

Depalma's Blow Out needs a better release. It's one of my absolute favorites and I'm really starting to get tired of the bare-bones copy I've got now. It's a decent transfer, but the sound is a little shaky and could I get a frippin' featurette or two?