Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)

I found this after spying on other member's top 10 favorites. I thought oh a 1970 Czech movie with good ratings, well that sounds pretty cool. I guess I'd describe it as a dark erotic coming of age fairy tale fantasy. If that sounds good to you then I highly recommend it. It's not really my type of movie, but I can at least say that I bought into the fantasy part, and that's a big hurdle for me. It's only an hour and 17 minutes long, and it's on YouTube with subtitles. The lead actress is only 13 years old. That fits perfectly with the storyline, but the content made me squirm.
Yeah, it's definitely uncomfortable viewing at times. For me what makes it more "okay" (though that's a really relative term when you're talking about sex and nudity related to such a young person) is that the film doesn't feel exploitative and it is highly empathetic toward the lead character.

It was a highly formative film for me when I started branching out of the mainstream film shelves in terms of how a story could be told and the potential of allegorical narrative. Definitely not for everyone, but I think it's a pretty potent coming-of-age film that captures the thrill and anxiety of becoming aware of sex and sexuality.

Vast of Night (2019)

Though I love the Twilight Zone feel, I had a lukewarm approach to this movie just based on the reviews and trailers I had seen. It is exactly the type of movie my wife loves, so we watched it last night. She loved it as expected, and I'm glad it simply held up to my expectations. The pace is brisk and fitting, but the story itself fizzles a bit at the end for me.
I liked it more than you did. Here's my review:

The Vast of Night (2019)

Caught this delightful picture last night, which had been bought by Amazon and put up on its site yesterday (5/29/20). It's a sci-fi mystery by new director Andrew Patterson, starring Sierra McCormick and Jake Horowitz. Producer, director, writers, and some of the actors are freshman in the industry. The excellent cinematography is by veteran M.I. Litten-Menz.

Everything clicked on this picture. It's set in the 1950s, framed as a story on a Twilight Zone copy, Paradox Theater. Slow to build, it carefully sets the background, then gradually quickens the pace to intense thriller levels as the story unfolds. They've adroitly captured the intense but innocent feel of the 1950s sci-fi monster flicks, such as The Blob, and others. The production design was impressive on what must have been a low budget.

The acting is first rate, especially from Miss McCormick and the old pro Gail Cronauer; but it is the fresh and exciting cinematography by Litten-Menz that provides such captivating and engaging photography. The 90 minute film goes by quickly, although it leads to a somewhat anticlimactic finish.

You can be sure that director Andrew Patterson will be offered lots of work for much bigger money as the result of this first time feature. Will look forward to any future productions he helms.

Doc's rating: 8/10

The Shout (1978)

The vibe of this film is right up my alley--think the kind of dreamy (yes, "dreamy" is one of my favorite descriptors and I know I use it a lot. I am open to synonym suggestions!) horror of Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Last Wave, or Images.

A man named Anthony (John Hurt) lives a mediocre life with his wife Rachel (Susannah York). One day a man named Crowley basically invites himself to lunch with them and from there he ingratiates himself into their lives. He claims to have learned ancient magic from an Aboriginal tribe--including the ability to use a deadly shout (a la the title) capable of killing any living thing in earshot and the ability to bewitch anyone if he has an item of theirs. While first assuming him to be an eccentric, the couple soon comes to realize that Crowley's stories may be more true than they believed.

This one didn't quite rise to the level of the films I mentioned in my first paragraph, but I really enjoyed it. The casting is perfect. John Hurt always looks a bit sickly to me, and next to him Alan Bates' bombastic performance makes Crowley feel more like a force of nature than a person. York does well as Rachel (though the character doesn't get as much agency as her male co-stars, as she becomes the "prize" to be fought over by them). There's fantastically creepy (and instantly iconic) sequence where she crawls across the floor in an odd way that instantly elevates the film's sense of foreboding. (Included below, but in spoiler text if you don't want that part spoiled for you and also the image contains some nudity but in silhouette---please let me know if you guys think it's too NSFW).

WARNING: spoilers below

The film makes great use of its various settings--the ramshackle house in which Anthony and Rachel live; the local mental hospital (where Rachel works and which hosts strange cricket games for its patients); and the sweeping sand dunes near their home.

I had only two qualms with the film.

The first was that I wish Rachel had been given more character development. Very early on in the film she mostly becomes a trophy to be fought over by the male characters. If the film had explored the idea that maybe Rachel was somewhat willing to be seduced by an outsider, that could have been interesting. Instead she becomes a pawn to be manipulated. York plays the part well, but it feels like a missed opportunity to flesh out the couple's marriage in a deeper way.

The other complaint was some of the exoticizing of Aboriginal culture. In a film like The Last Wave, Aboriginal culture is presented at times as mysterious, but there are actual Aboriginal characters and the culture and their beliefs are regarded with respect. In this film, it's a bit more woo-woo, and leans into the idea of indigenous people as "magical savages". For example, it's true that there's evidence that Aboriginal societies practiced infanticide, but in the film it's presented as something that Aboriginal parents did on a whim. I get that the film needed a supernatural foundation for its story, but it felt a bit clunky. I actually preferred some of the weirder touches, like the idea that souls are tied to rocks in the dunes, leading to a strange conversation between Anthony and a local cobbler whose stone was impacted by Anthony and Crowley's actions.

While not top-tier 70s horror, I would definitely recommend it. I watched it on Amazon Prime.

Christiane F. (1981)

I had been looking forward to this one for quite a while and it shattered my expectations. It's crazy how this true story ends up being one heartbreaking moment after another. It's unbelievable how realistic it is and the cast of unknowns are incredible. It's a major new favorite that will stay with me forever.

Christiane F. (1981)

I had been looking forward to this one for quite a while and it shattered my expectations. It's crazy how this true story ends up being one heartbreaking moment after another. It's unbelievable how realistic it is and the cast of unknowns are incredible. It's a major new favorite that will stay with me forever.

Wow, 5/5. Maybe I should finally watch this. I've had it for quite a while but haven't really felt like it yet.

Christiane F. (1981)

Cracking fillum, knocks most other depictions of a downwards drug-induced spiral into a cocked hat imo

Christiane F. (1981)

I saw this back in like early high school. Intense film.

I’ve actually really wanted to rewatch it, but I want to watch the uncut version but it seems impossible to track down.

I saw this back in like early high school. Intense film.

I’ve actually really wanted to rewatch it, but I want to watch the uncut version but it seems impossible to track down.
Oh crap. It seems the version I have is also cut. It's odd as the IMDb says: "The cuts were fully waived in 2000 for all video and DVD releases." That means those 2000 UK versions should have been uncut, right (or am I misunderstanding the term "waived in")?

Oh crap. It seems the version I have is also cut. It's odd as the IMDb says: "The cuts were fully waived in 2000 for all video and DVD releases." That means those 2000 UK versions should have been uncut, right
^ correct, i'm trying to get the dvd dutch and german version right now, the cuts were 5min. total.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The lead actress is only 13 years old
Yeah, it's definitely uncomfortable viewing at times
I didn't know she was so young. She seemed much more mature than me when I watched the film for the first time at the age of 18. I've been such a babyface.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Luz (2018, Tilman Singer)

Singer's directorial debut is a pretty cool 70-min low-budget supernatural horror flick, clearly influenced by classic 80s euro-horror (think Fulci, Zulawski, Argento, also Cronenberg). On the downside, as is often the case with debuts, it leans more into style-over-substance, artsy-for-artsy's-sake territory - it throws all those inspirations into a melting pot, adds a creepy mysterious vibe to it (those lingering long shots - damn...), but kind of falls short on the ingredient that would bind it all together into a more coherent whole - the plot. But hey, this breed of cinema is not about plot anyway - it's a visual cerebral experience that demands more from your brain than just an ability to linearly follow the plot.

An acquired taste for sure - not all of it works but personally in the end I think I liked it more than I disliked it. Thumbs up for the eerie atmosphere and style.

So, I haven't seen Passengers, but I did really enjoy this video essay about how the video-maker thought that the film could be improved by rearranging the chronology of the film. (WARNING: If you haven't seen the film, this video essay includes explicit details about the ending!)

I finally watched this. I agree with most of it, especially that it’s a POV problem. But then it’s hard to tell how making Jennifer Lawrence the protagonist would play out. A film that plays out much like what this video essay is suggesting is Before I Go To Sleep (2014), and it was quite terrible in itself. I think there we had the sense of being cheated & that information was being fed to us. But food for thought nonetheless!

I'm not a staunch defender of this film (again, I like it bit don't love it), but I don't see the ending as undermining the message. There are a lot of futuristic/sci-fi/thriller films that end with the destruction of the old guard and the heroes stepping into an unknown future. I know that it had sequels, but consider something like the end of The Matrix or the end of Fury Road.
I guess it's where fantasy and history intersect. Movie wise, I like an ending with cheering and fireworks, but my other avocation (history) tells me that most of the time, the day after the cheering stops, a new despot starts to plot. History is full of disappointing ends to revolutions.

Movies get to have an end and then cut to the credits. History suggests that, after the Tsar falls, the Bolsheviks take over or that once the King of France is beheaded, we might as well move on to the reign of terror.

I guess it was a good choice, movie wise, to end with cheering and fireworks, but the cynic in me was left unsettled.

Images (1976)
My second viewing, but the first one must have been 7-8 years ago. I loved the scene in the beginning where Cathryn’s husband turns into her ex-lover. I have a penchant for films where one person inexplicably turns into another (I enjoy the first half of Lynch’s Lost Highway despite its flaws, because I find the idea of a prison guard finding a different man in a cell than the one he’d locked priceless). Of course, here the husband morphs into someone Cathryn actually remembers/imagines, which makes it less sudden and less scary. Otherwise, the plot is a bit muddled, but an enjoyable viewing nonetheless.
3/5

The Quarry (2020)

Low-key tale of stranger arrives in no-where's-ville looking to steal an identity and forget/cover-up his past.

Its predictable but still kinda enigmatic, I did need a couple of breaks.

I finally watched this. I agree with most of it, especially that it’s a POV problem. But then it’s hard to tell how making Jennifer Lawrence the protagonist would play out.
I agree that it's hard to know if the reordering of the plot would improve the film.

But the idea that I most liked in the video essay was about how the time that the viewer spends with the main character and the empathy that's build up for him later causes the viewer to be more forgiving of creepy and/or amoral behaviors. It's just neat to think about the way that films signal to us who we should root for, even as those characters do bad things to other people.

Also, I think you'd really enjoy the film I wrote up the other day, Sleepwalk if you haven't already seen it. It's not perfect, but I think you'd dig its vibe.

I agree that it's hard to know if the reordering of the plot would improve the film.

But the idea that I most liked in the video essay was about how the time that the viewer spends with the main character and the empathy that's build up for him later causes the viewer to be more forgiving of creepy and/or amoral behaviors. It's just neat to think about the way that films signal to us who we should root for, even as those characters do bad things to other people.

Also, I think you'd really enjoy the film I wrote up the other day, Sleepwalk if you haven't already seen it. It's not perfect, but I think you'd dig its vibe.
I definitely think reordering would help. But a side effect of that is that she becomes the protagonist, in which case we’d need to give her some enigma/motivation. Unless it is that she suspects there’s a bit too much that has seemingly ‘malfunctioned’ and begins to suspect someone woke her up.

I haven’t seen Sleepwalk, but thanks, I’ll definitely check it out.

BANNED
Hackers = so cool/10