I Need a Quick Review

→ in
Tools    

Is Firewall just a remake of Ransom? Is it better?

Also i'm considering seeing Inside Man tomorrow, anyone seen it?

how about this, i have a choice to see either "Schultze gets the blues" or "Matchpoint".....what will it be? and any opinions in the next *checks watch* hour would be lovely....

Originally Posted by adidasss
how about this, i have a choice to see either "Schultze gets the blues" or "Matchpoint".....what will it be? and any opinions in the next *checks watch* hour would be lovely....
Schultze is sweet and all, but Match Point is a knockout. No question, go with the Woody.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

thanks man, i guessed you might be the only one to see both, very lucky you were on right now....

woody it is then....and hopefully, shultze is gonna be released on dvd here....

Can anyone tell me about The Longest Yard (1974)

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Can anyone tell me about The Longest Yard (1974)
I can tell you that I hope you haven't sullied your cinematic eyes with the Adam Sandler re-make.

The original movie (a.k.a. The Mean Machine in the UK) directed by Robert Aldrich (The Dirty Dozen, Kiss Me Deadly) is a fun, gritty comedy with a good star turn by Burt Reynolds long before his career became a joke, and his skills as a former Collegiate pigskin star are showcased well. It's a good blend of a prison flick and a sports movie, with both seeming credible - certainly credible enough in the context of the movie.

Eddie Albert, best known for his good-natured, family-friendly on-screen parts like "Green Acres" and Escape to Witch Mountain, is terrific playing against type as the sadistic warden. It's a good supporting cast all around (look for an early appearance by Bernadette Peters as a sexy secretary in heavy make-up).

Cheers for the info Holden. I might record it to a DVD.

The Day of the Locust ~ 1975

Suggested by a friend, but their taste sometimes doesnt match mine, worth a watch?

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Anyone have any thoughts on Bound for Glory (Hal Ashby, 1976)?
Bound for Glory is a great movie. It contains some of cinematographer Haskell Wexler's best work for sure, and the pre-digital effects dust storm sequence is still damned impressive. It's also an important story about an important figure in a crucial time of American history. It's David Carradine's best preformance, for sure, and sadly he was never given this kind of opportunity again. Hal Ashby was a great filmmaker, and though he burned out on drugs and self-destruction and faded away with some crap projects in the '80s, his '70s filmography (Harold & Maude, The Last Detail, Shampoo, Bound for Glory, Coming Home and Being There) can stand toe-to-cinematic-toe with any American filmaker during that great and shining era.

So yeah, I think you should probably see Bound for Glory as soon as possible, if not sooner.

Glengarry Glen Ross - any good?

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Glengarry Glen Ross - any good?
Glengarry Glen Ross is a brilliant film, which gets even better every time I watch it. Great performances all round, and Alec Baldwin's is the best cameo ever. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites of all time.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a brilliant film, which gets even better every time I watch it. Great performances all round, and Alec Baldwin's is the best cameo ever. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites of all time.
Just watched it, really enjoyed, bloody brilliant cast.

Put me in your pocket...
I'm stepping in line too Escape..

Alfred Hitchcock's...Foreign Correspondent (1940)
...has anyone seen this and how does it compare to Hitchcock's other work?

Originally Posted by Aniko
Alfred Hitchcock's...Foreign Correspondent (1940)
...has anyone seen this and how does it compare to Hitchcock's other work?

I like Foreign Correspondent a lot. It's a good Hitchcock from that period, comperable to Saboteur, if you know that one (if not, rent it next time). Correspondent has a great plane crash into the water we witness from inside the plane that was pretty spectacular for its day.

Rebecca and Shadow of a Doubt are Hitch's two all-out masterpieces from that portion of his career, but Foreign Correspondent and Saboteur are damn good too.

Put me in your pocket...
Thanks Holden. I appreciate your review. Foreign Correspondent is now in my hands and I'll watch it this weekend.

I loved Rebecca, but I haven't seen Saboteur or Shadow of a Doubt. I'll keep my eye open for them. I had looked on the Hitchcock thread in the actors forum for some guidence on his films, but no one mentioned any of these films...so thanks again for your opinion and suggestions.

Men of Respect (William Reilly, 1991)

What's it like?
I like Men of Respect.The concept of modernizing Macbeth to a family of New York gangsters mostly works - I just wish they had found a way to change "no man of woman born" into something else for their finale. Turturro is very good, as usual, and it's a great cast in general. No masterpiece, but definitely worth seeing...especially if you're a fan of Shakespeare.