A Song For July

Tools    

Aha, that's the beauty of this new format, people can drop in/out as they see fit so being involved for the entire tournament or just a round here and there are totally optional.

As far as joining in goes ... rounds last two days and whenever one round is being voted on nominations for the next round are being taken, so whenever one of my tournaments is ongoing you can pretty much post a nom and join the next round at any point.

This tournament will go on until the Final at the end of the month and then I like to give it a couple of months between tournaments (so they hopefully don't get stale) meaning the next one will probably be in October or November. You're more than welcome to join in a few rounds of this one if you like or I can certainly @ you for the next one if you prefer.
Yeah, @ me for the next one, buys me a little time to catch up after the injury and all that.

Round 4

Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy - I love this song. It's something I've nominated before and am happy to put it at the top of my list.

Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down - I'd completely forgotten about this song until about 4 days again when I saw it on a music channel and it's been on my mind ever since. Just something of the lullaby about it which I find so appealing when sung in Cerys' voice.

Girls aloud - The Promise - Those of you who've played these tournaments with me before will probably be aware of how much I love a good pop song. I only really got back into music in the last few years and finding a couple of gems by this band has been one of the good things about it. Especially as my dislike of all things Cheryl would've barred me from enjoying it otherwise.

Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl - Billy was probably my mum's favourite way back when, so I've heard more than a few of his hits. It's a short, easy listen and the nostalgia will probably help this towards the top of my list.

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters - Great song. Not sure how I'll place it today due to it being nominated so often.

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou - I don't really know what I think about this. It's quite pleasant though.

Victoria Shaw - Don't Move - Schmaltzy, but I was choosing pics of Tara Palmer-Tomkinson for a post elsewhere while it played and it fit quite well.

In Flames - Fear is the Weakness - I like the sound and the energy but there's little else there for me.

Mina - Il cielo in una stanza - This just isn't my thing.

16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir - Another which is not unpleasant, just not something I'd choose to listen to. Thankfully short means it does better than those it's above in my list.

Me and That Man - Man of the Cross § (alt link if needed) - My first thought was "I wish he sang not." It's not enough to annoy me, but it's just kind of there and I'd rather it wasn't.

Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul - It's loud. It's growly and it's there.

Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love - Oh, no. It's Bob I try and I try but I don't hear what everyone else seems to. Or maybe I do and I just don't like it.

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
In Flames - Fear is the Weakness
Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul
16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir
Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl
Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down
Girls aloud - The Promise
L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou
Me and That Man - Man of the Cross § (alt link if needed)
Victoria Shaw - Don't Move
Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love
Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
Mina - Il cielo in una stanza

01: Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul
02: Me and That Man - Man of the Cross
03: Mina - Il cielo in una stanza
04: Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl
05: Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
06: In Flames - Fear is the Weakness
07: L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou
08: Victoria Shaw - Don't Move
09: Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy I actually prefer the cover version by Paradise Lost.
10: 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir
11: Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love
12: Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down
13: Girls aloud - The Promise

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Victoria Shaw - Don't Move
2) Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl
3) Mina - Il cielo in una stanza
4) Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down
5) L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou
6) Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love
7) 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir
8) Girls aloud - The Promise
9) Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
10) Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
11) Me and That Man - Man of the Cross
12) In Flames - Fear is the Weakness
13) Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul

I'll be back later with my nom for the next round.

Let the night air cool you off
1. Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love
- Hot take: Bob Dylan was really good at writing songs.

2. 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir
- I love the old school pre-country sounds mixed with that dark underbelly of underground country style and lyrics.

3. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
- Catchy af

4. Me and That Man - Man of the Cross
- Giving me some Slackeye Slim vibes. You know anything about Slackeye Slim @Captain Spaulding?

5. Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul
- Pretty wild. Completely ridiculous and over the top, but I'm here for it. It's got the most juice in this round

6. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
- I like Metallica well enough, but I am over this song for the most part. It takes about five minutes to get interesting.

7. L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou
- Makes me think of what it would be like if you injured your brain and then listened to The Smiths or something. Heaven forbid I ever injure my brain, but if I do, I plan on testing this theory. That probably sounds derogatory, but it's not really supposed to be.

8. In Flames - Fear is the Weakness
- Started out kinda shaky for me, but I liked it as it picked up and got going.

9. Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl
- Sounds like a second-rate Elvis, which makes sense... cause that's what he was.

10. Victoria Shaw - Don't Move
- Not really my style, but it's not a terrible song.

11. Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down
- 90s alt-rock just ain't for me. It's not like it's bad or anything, but I just have a hard time getting into it.

12. Mina - Il cielo in una stanza
- I prefer French music to Italian music I think.

13. Girls aloud - The Promise
- I don't care for this.

Round 4

1. Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love
(I know his voice is an acquired taste, but it's still disheartening to see the lack of respect Dylan gets in these tournaments. This is my first time ever hearing this song. Insane to think this didn't make the album cut.)

2. Me and That Man - Man of the Cross
(This side project definitely sounds like a bunch of metal dudes playing cowboy dress-up, and the songwriting leaves a lot to be desired at times, but the overall sound and aesthetic is very much in my wheelhouse. Country/folk with a dark, ominous pallor. A soundtrack for the undertaker.)

3. 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir
(Likely a major influence on many of the dark alt-country artists I love. I know I've heard this somewhere before, but I don't think I really took notice of it at the time.)

4. Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul
()

5. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
(As soon as this started, I was like, "Oh yeah, this is real 80's," not some retro emulation that is so popular nowadays.)

6. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
(Undeniably great song, though it's certainly played out at this point -- both in real life and in these tournaments.)

7. Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl
(Definitely understand the "second-rate Elvis" comments, but it's a pleasant enough song.)

8. In Flames - Fear is the Weakness
(A welcome kick in the pants after a slow start to this round, though it sounds indistinguishable from a lot of of similar bands. Definitely welcome the energy, however.)

9. Mina - Il cielo in una stanza
(The unexpected sight of Matthew McConaughey at the beginning of the video made me LOL. Don't really know what to say about the music. It's pretty, but not something I'd listen to outside of a perfume commercial.)

10. L'Arc ~en ~ Ciel - Kasou
(The singing style always dooms this band for me every time they're nominated. Song itself seems to meander.)

11. Catatonia - Dead From the Waist Down
(Based on the name, I expected a metal song about impotence, so this was a sharp contrast. An annoying butterfly of a song. Really not feeling this round so far, although I'm only only four songs in at the moment.)

12. Victoria Shaw - Don't Move
(Talk about slamming on the brakes. Going from Dark Funeral to this nearly gave me whiplash.)

13. Girls Aloud - The Promise
(That was a long four minutes.)

4. Me and That Man - Man of the Cross
- Giving me some Slackeye Slim vibes. You know anything about Slackeye Slim @Captain Spaulding?
Not really. ITunes always suggests him to me anytime I listen to Those Poor Bastards, but I don't think I've ever actually listened to any of his stuff. I see I'll get a chance to in the next round, though.

1. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
Suuuch a great song. Love it to pieces. I wish I could have had 2 number 1 spots, as it was almost impossible to choose between this and my nomination.

2. 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir
They're one of my favourites. Great, distinctive vocals, and intrumentation (in all their songs).

3. Me and That Man - Man of the Cross
New to me, and I quite liked it. I'd listen to it again for sure.

4. Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl

5. Mina - Il cielo in una stanza

6. Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul

7. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

8. Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love

9. Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down

10. Girls aloud - The Promise

11. L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou

12. Victoria Shaw - Don't Move

13. In Flames - Fear is the Weakness

1. Bronski Beat
2. Metallica
3. Billy Fury
4. Mina
5. Catatonia
6. Bob Dylan
7. Girls Aloud
8. 16 Horsepower
9. Victoria Shaw
10. L'Arc en Ciel
11. Me and that Man
12. In Flames
13. Dark Funeral

All voted again

1st - Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy (124 pts)

2nd (rate Elvis) - Billy Fury - Somebody Else's Girl (118 pts)
3rd - Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (114 pts)
4th - 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir (102 pts)
5th - Mina - Il cielo in una stanza (98 pts)
6th - Me and That Man - Man of the Cross (91 pts)
7th - Dark Funeral - Unchain My Soul (86 pts)
8th - Bob Dylan - Abandoned Love (84 pts)
9th - Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down (77 pts)
10th - Girls aloud - The Promise (76 pts)
11th - L'Arc~en~Ciel - Kasou (75 pts)
12th - In Flames - Fear is the Weakness (71 pts)
13th - Victoria Shaw - Don't Move (67 pts)

Grats to HollowMan on getting their song through to the Final

Round five up in an hour and a bit....