Favorite Remakes

Tools    

The Fly, and King Kong 2005 are the two very best remakes of all remakes in my opinion.
I also thought the 2005 King Kong could have been epic... IF they had edited out about an hour of it. It was just WAY too long for a story almost everyone has seen before with way too much exposition that served little purpose. It was killed by it's run time.

Otherwise, fantastic special effects, great action sequences, truly frightening bugs! and even Jack Black pulled off "Carl Denham" quite well.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I also thought the 2005 King Kong could have been epic... IF they had edited out about an hour of it. It was just WAY too long for a story almost everyone has seen before with way too much exposition that served little purpose. It was killed by it's run time.

Otherwise, fantastic special effects, great action sequences, truly frightening bugs! and even Jack Black pulled off "Carl Denham" quite well.
Well that's modern Peter Jackson for ya, makes long movies. (though Lord Of The Rings is good).

...and even Jack Black pulled off "Carl Denham" quite well.
Whoa!!!! I don't remember that scene
Was there a special R-rated edition????

I have seen the remake of "The Fly",had Jeff Goldbloom in it?? I found it to be a very strange movie myself..I also saw the remake of "Cape Fear", I have to say it was an intense movie to me, but very good...Mezmerized mentioned the remake of "Halloween"---Was it the one that Rob Zombie remade?? That is an excellent remake of "Halloween" to me..it told more of Michael's history, of him as a child--8-]]

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I also saw the remake of "Cape Fear", I have to say it was an intense movie to me, but very good
That was a good movie, you don't hear the original talked about much though.

I have a complicated relationship with remakes. I hate so many of them, but that's because Hollywood seems now to be remaking everything as a matter of course and all the remakes are terrible.

Of the remakes I like, there are things like Scarface, The Thing and Sorcerer, which despite the originals being great films in their day there was a justification for doing new updated versions. Or something like The Fly where the original was a good idea done badly and the new version was superior in every respect.

Worst remakes, remakes that made me the angriest, would be things like Total Recall, Point Break, The Pink Panther, Sgt Bilko, Get Carter.

A system of cells interlinked
Hands down, my favorite remake is John Carpenter's 1982 version of The Thing. One of my favorite horror flicks of all time, and one of the best examples of a taut, paranoia-driven thriller. Add in the groundbreaking (at the time) practical special effects, and great performances all around, and you have a winner. This film does everything right, from the setting, to the creature effects, to the the score.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I do like the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I like how it amped up the terror but the only major flaw for me was why they decided to unmask Leatherface...that was a big mistake. I like that mystique to the character.

I do the like the remake of My Bloody Valentine. Yes they combined some 3D and practical effects for the kills, but it was the surprising plot twist that made it a good remake IMO.

Here's one I really like. Down. Director Dick Maas updated his first horror film, 1983's The Lift and changed the setting from the Netherlands to New York City and setting the film in the Millennium Building, which was actually the Empire State Building and added a taste of a terrorist plot in the mix. Sure there were CGI effects and greenscreen, but still a good remake IMO.

The two versions of Funny Games are both Haneke’s, so they’re quite similar. I quite like the Naomi Watts version and recently rewatched it, but I think the original is more disconcerting.

I feel the exact same way. I don't know WHY the original is just creepier but it is.

John Carpenter's The Thing is my favourite remake. There are a few I nod heads about in this thread and if you like i can mention which they were.

Just had to put my official #1 spot in.

[quote=Thunderbolt;2103688] I could not stand the 2016 version of Ghostbusters. The characters annoyed me so much I felt like I needed to attend an anger management class within the first 15 minutes.[quote]
While I don't agree with you, your answer is quite funny!

While I love the remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly (both of which are far better than the originals), my favorite remakes are The Ring (which I though was much better than the Japanese original Ringu) and The Bachelor, which was much better than the silent-era original Seven Chances (1925).

The Thing is also my favorite remake. Scarface is probably number two.

Oh, and I hate to see The Ring mentioned in a thread like this The Japanese original is one of my favorite horror movies and I've never understood the praise the remake so often seems to get (I thought it was barely OK). Another favorite of mine, Let the Right One In, has also received the US remake treatment and while the remake is totally pointless and unnecessary, Let Me In is still quite a good retelling of the story.

Kind of impressed with the Halloween movies actually (2007 and beyond).

I could likely list 100 or so great remakes...

The Maltese Falcon(1941)

Gaslight (1944)

Great Expectations (1946)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Good Morning (1959)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

The Thing (1982)

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Suspiria (2018)

A decent list of most of my all time favorite remakes:

• Floating Weeds (Ozu, 1959)
• Breathless (McBride, 1983)
• A Star Is Born (Cukor, 1954)
• Passion (De Palma, 2012)
• Body Snatchers (Ferrara, 1993)
• Good Morning (Ozu, 1959)
• Heat (Mann, 1995)
• The Age of Innocence (Scorsese, 1993)
• Solaris (Soderbergh, 2002)
• The Ring (Verbinski, 2002)
• Some Like It Hot (Wilder, 1959)
• Human Desire (Lang, 1954)
• Scarlet Street (Lang, 1945)
• Halloween II (Zombie, 2009)
• The Fly (Cronenberg, 1986)
• Silence (Scorsese, 2016)
• The Man Who Knew Too Much (Hitchcock, 1956)
• Dawn of the Dead (Snyder, 2004)

I could likely list 100 or so great remakes...

The Maltese Falcon(1941)

So here's a question that's maybe a matter of semantics: Do you consider different book adaptations to be remakes of each other?

For example. there are several film adaptations of things like Jane Eyre or Far from the Madding Crowd. But I don't consider these to be remakes of the earlier versions. I consider them to be separate adaptations.

With The Maltese Falcon, I don't feel like the reference point is the earlier film--I feel like the reference point is the novel.

Where do you guys land on this (admittedly possibly petty point)?