Is hollywood the only institution left powerful enough to challenge state propaganda?

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Tolstoy
IMHO Hollywood should stay out of politics. If you think that Hollywood is the only place left to challenge "state propaganda" I just think you arent looking hard enough. Hollywood is full of complete morons on both sides. They are actors. They make movies. Why does that make them able to present a concrete argument? In reality, they are all just puppets who always succumb to their own selfish desires.

Instead of getting your information through Hollywood, perhaps you could do some actual research on subjects instead of an easy to digest 2 hour propaganda film. There are sources out there which actually have people qualified enough to speak on a subject.

If Hollywood is the last source to challenge the state, I would be very scared.
The majority of Hollywood is staying out of politics. Those filmmakers that really are explicitly political are working outside the mainstream. And if you want all actors and filmmakers to stay out of politics, the reasons you gave aren't very persuasive. Why shouldn't they have the right to express their views through their artform?

And most working people don't have the time to spend their days doing research. Many don't even have the time to watch a "2 hour propaganda film". That's why we have The News on tv. It's just a pity the news aren't objective...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

JNust because they have the right to express their views through their artform doesnt mean we should listen to it. We shouldnt. They arent qualified enough for the most part to give a view that we should listen to. Its very dangerous when people who arent qualified start becoming the voice for the people. It just degrades society because face it, most of Hollywood really has nothing worthwhile to say. If most of the country doesnt have the time to properly formulate an opinion on an important subject, then perhaps they shouldnt have one?

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
JNust because they have the right to express their views through their artform doesnt mean we should listen to it. We shouldnt. They arent qualified enough for the most part to give a view that we should listen to. Its very dangerous when people who arent qualified start becoming the voice for the people. It just degrades society because face it, most of Hollywood really has nothing worthwhile to say. If most of the country doesnt have the time to properly formulate an opinion on an important subject, then perhaps they shouldnt have one?
Hollywood has its fair share of morons of course but film makers like Oliver Stone and Michael Moore have plenty to say and are more than qualified.

Everybody has an agenda including Michael Moore and Oliver Stone but to say we are not being subjected to state propaganda is incredibly naive IMO.

The media lie, distort and sensationalise everything and so do politicians. In my eyes they are one and the same.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
The main sector of the media is the elite media or the agenda setting media. They are the ones with the big resources who set the framework in which everyone else operates. The elite media is the NY Times and The Washington Post etc.

The NY Times and CBS are major, very profitable corporations. The media is owned by wealthy men who only want the public to hear certain things.

I am having a nervous breakdance
And who are you the voice for? Are you qualified? Can it be you dislike political filmmakers not because they are political but because they don't express your political views? I would say that John Sayles, Ken Loach, Oliver Stone, Spike Lee and lots of other filmmakers are more then qualified to express their views through filmmaking. And I rather have a filmmaker without a clue making political films than a politician without a clue working politically. Unfortunately the latter category is way too common these days. And do you really think there is anybody out there making their political mind up based on Hollywood movies alone? What's next? Stop reading!?