Dissapointment in the Star Wars DVD's

Tools    

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Didn't find the gold sleeve any worse than the silver one myself and they were both the same price so I took the Ltd edition.
Is the gold sleeve just a gold sleeve? Or are the indivual cover arts gold aswell? So that they match Episodes I and II.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's just the sleeve, which a friend of mine wasn't too pleased with as he bought a copy with the intention of never opening it and magically watching it appreciate in value.

Eejit.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I believe this post is about the Star Wars DVD... not LOTR. With that said, ONWARD!!!

I just watched the closing sequence to ROTJ. In place of that chubby looking Anakin, they've got the new one in. (I don't know how to spell his name) Now, I must say, that does make everything a little bit better. And, start saving your money now! 'Cuz Pucas has said that in another ten years, he'll re-release the original trilogy with Natalie Portman in some added-in scenes. And, did anyone else hear this, that Lucas' original plan for marketing home sales of his new trilogy was that he was originally going to release each film onto VHS, knowing that people would buy it, and then re-release them all onto one DVD set, with super-duper scenes never seen before NOW? My brother told me this was his original marketing plan, and I think it could've have worked. Oh well. Sorry for going a little OT there, just wanted to say what hit my mind.

I read about a week or week 1/2 ago, that once Revenge of the Sith is released an uber boxed set of the original trilogy will be put onto shelves. It will make the previous boxed set obsolete.

Original as in no special effects and possibly the most-wanted delted scenes and no bloopers? Those original DVD's? Lucas said himself that he'd never release the original trilogy onto DVD. Where did you read this from, anywho?

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Original as in no special effects and possibly the most-wanted delted scenes and no bloopers? Those original DVD's? Lucas said himself that he'd never release the original trilogy onto DVD. Where did you read this from, anywho?
From one of the movie web sites....I forgot. That's just what it said.
Who knows what is on it.

This dvd set seems pretty weak, I think I am going to hold off on buying the Star Wars dvd set until Lucas replaces Han Solo with Jar Jar.

2007 - 30th anniversary of Star Wars - 6 film set and probably more tinkering - blah, blah, blah.

It's on the cards I guess but I'll only be tempted if Lucas can create a fully CGI Mark Hamill.

A system of cells interlinked
I have now watched all the material on the DVD set, and it was all spectacular and a ton of fun. Jedi was the only film that had me complaining about the changes (that musical number in the palace is just AWFUL).

I am glad I got it though, the quality was amazing.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Sedai
I have now watched all the material on the DVD set, and it was all spectacular and a ton of fun. Jedi was the only film that had me complaining about the changes (that musical number in the palace is just AWFUL).

I am glad I got it though, the quality was amazing.
Right you are.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

2007 - 30th anniversary of Star Wars - 6 film set and probably more tinkering - blah, blah, blah.

It's on the cards I guess but I'll only be tempted if Lucas can create a fully CGI Mark Hamill.
Hmmph... 2007 it is then.

What cards are you talking about, anywho? And a fully created CGI Hamill? Are you saying re-re-release the Special Edition this time with more CGI created crap? I hope to God Lucas' mental state doesn't drag him down that far just to make a few more bucks...

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Hmmph... 2007 it is then.

What cards are you talking about, anywho? And a fully created CGI Hamill? Are you saying re-re-release the Special Edition this time with more CGI created crap? I hope to God Lucas' mental state doesn't drag him down that far just to make a few more bucks...
I do believe he was just messing with you.

Originally Posted by John McClane
I do believe he was just messing with you.
with the way lucas is thinking you never know we might actually see a CGI mark Hammile

Resident Metro-Sexual
Originally Posted by Sedai
I have now watched all the material on the DVD set, and it was all spectacular and a ton of fun.
Does this include the commentaries, cause' i would love to hear your oppinion on those before i check them out.

Originally Posted by Heartagram
Does this include the commentaries, cause' i would love to hear your oppinion on those before i check them out.
The commentaries are ok, nothing more. Everyone is recorded on their own so there's no interaction and the only humour comes from Carrie Fisher (bless her ). I thought the Empire commentary was best, purely because Irvin Kershner contributes and he doesn't always sing from the Lucas hymn sheet.

No mention on the Jedi track of Richard Marquand's untimely death, though, with Lucas seemingly trying to take directorial credit on that movie too.

Originally Posted by jrs
HUH???
That was a joke that may have just went right over your head jrs.

There are those who call me...Tim.
The commentaries are ok, nothing more. Everyone is recorded on their own so there's no interaction and the only humour comes from Carrie Fisher (bless her ). I thought the Empire commentary was best, purely because Irvin Kershner contributes and he doesn't always sing from the Lucas hymn sheet.

No mention on the Jedi track of Richard Marquand's untimely death, though, with Lucas seemingly trying to take directorial credit on that movie too.
I would have to agree. As I've already said, the commentries should have been split up to allow everyone to say their piece on a particular subject, without having someone else's comment put in their place.
purely because Irvin Kershner contributes and he doesn't always sing from the Lucas hymn sheet.
Very true, and he always had something interesting to say about how the film was made and the problems they had.

Out of all the films with the special edition crap on them, I've got to say that the Empire Strikes Back is the closest to staying to its true and original form. All others are crap. I never like Return of the Jedi that much anyhow, my only favorite scenes is the opening intro and the Sarlac sequence and when Luke meets Vader on that bridge on Endor. All the rest of the film I really never enjoyed that much. And as for the closing music with the dancing Ewoks, and the closing scene with all of the characters in one shot, c'mon. Who didn't think that that was both stupid and corny? I now I do.