Child stars to Adult Stars

Tools    

I like to watch...
I don't think Elija was ever "gawky". It always seemed to me that he was one of those lucky few that matured gracefully, despite being in the public eye. Not like, Alyissa Milano, or something...now THAT'S gawky! Keep in mind, these child stars have to endure the pages of Teen Beat and the like. **whew** tough racket.

Sadie - maybe gawky is the wrong word for Elijah but I remember thinking that he was just the most beautiful, talented child...then around about the time of The Ice Storm and Deep Impact he was going through that difficult "plain" adolescent stage...which lets face it is NORMAL - your skin goes mad...you haven't quite grown onto your adult looks yet. As I think your post alluded to also, that can be a pretty tough trip when you are a young actor...so much of what you do is reliant on your looks - especially when you are in your teens. (I'm an Aussie so I'm not sure what Teen Beat is but I think I can make a pretty educated guess!! No doubt another quality publication aimed at our impressionable youth with tips on kissing and lip gloss...)

Cases in point... has anyone clapped eyes on Fred Savage from the Wonder Years recently? Or little Henry Thomas from ET? McCaulay Culkin? A cute kid does not necessarily a cute adult make... and by that I do not mean you have to be cute to be a good actor...but it always helps - especially these days with the constant teen-oriented drivel that seems to be everywhere.

I think basically we agree that Elijah has made the transition really well - he has emerged into adulthood with both looks and talent and has managed to make some fine films along the way.

Before I sign off, I'd like to bring up another talented actress who started off very young - Diane Lane. She was definitely making films when she was a child. I don't think she gets the credit she deserves...she really is an exceptional actress with quite a range.

Now With Moveable Parts
- especially when you are in your teens. (I'm an Aussie so I'm not sure what Teen Beat is but I think I can make a pretty educated guess!! No doubt another quality publication aimed at our impressionable youth with tips on kissing and lip gloss...)
You got it! Same thing.

Cases in point... has anyone clapped eyes on Fred Savage from the Wonder Years recently? Or little Henry Thomas from ET? McCaulay Culkin? A cute kid does not necessarily a cute adult make...
Agreed. I think Fred Savage is a beast! What in the hell happened to that guy? It's like he grew, but didn't change....it's creepy.

I THINK Haley Joel Osment IS A NATURAL! I MEAN HE WAS REALLY YOUNG WHEN HE WAS ON FOREST GUMP AND FROM THEN ON HE DID OTHER MOVIES LIKE "PAY IT FORWARD", "A.I.", AND MORE....

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by renegade
I THINK Haley Joel Osment IS A NATURAL! I MEAN HE WAS REALLY YOUNG WHEN HE WAS ON FOREST GUMP AND FROM THEN ON HE DID OTHER MOVIES LIKE "PAY IT FORWARD", "A.I.", AND MORE....
Yeah. He's a great example of a child star that became a great adult star.
sheesh.

FOR UR INFO I DIDN'T SAY THAT HALEY JOEL OSMENT IS AN ADULT STAR!! I JUST SAID HE IS A GOOD ACTOR FOR A KID AND WILL PROBABLY BE AN ADULT STAR WHEN HE GETS OLDER!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Quit shouting.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by renegade
FOR UR INFO I DIDN'T SAY THAT HALEY JOEL OSMENT IS AN ADULT STAR!! I JUST SAID HE IS A GOOD ACTOR FOR A KID AND WILL PROBABLY BE AN ADULT STAR WHEN HE GETS OLDER!!
Well, this thread is for (reading the title) "Child Stars to Adult Stars" I mean, that was what we were trying to debate, ya know, if child stars have crossed over into a successful adult career, but if you want to speculate--feel free.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
How about Natalie Portman ?
She was outstanding as a 12 year old in her debut movie Leon .
She`s handled the transition well.

Totally agree with Thora Birch and Christina Ricci too.

Two of the most impressive Child performances I`ve seen in a while though, were by the Kids who play Nicole Kidman`s children in The Others ...Thought they were great

Now With Moveable Parts
I totally agree with you there. Although, I have this *thing* about accents...
I'm a little biased when I hear one. I thought the young girl in The Others, was especially gifted. Nice and bratty.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by sadesdrk
I totally agree with you there. Although, I have this *thing* about accents...
I'm a little biased when I hear one. I thought the young girl in The Others, was especially gifted. Nice and bratty.
Biased as in liking them or not?
I can understand if you don`t, because I personally can`t stand the posh English bloke accent in films, ala Hugh Grant...What a tosser!

Now With Moveable Parts
mmm...I *like* them. A Lot. Not Hugh Grants, especially, but all the boys in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, had nice accents.

But oh yeah, Jodie Foster is perhaps the one true shining success story of child actor made good.
Don't forget Kurt Russel was also a Disney kid. Anybody ever see his guest spot on Gilligans Island?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Christain Bale also had a small role in Kenny Branagh's Henry V (1989) when he was just a lad. But yes, Empire of the Sun was his big claim to fame.
wow, i never knew that.

another actress that i think is doing fairly well for herself is natalie portman (herzlag) whatever you wanna call her.

When I first read the title I thought I was going to be getting news of the Olsen twins doing playboy and what other child stars grew up to be like Alyssa Milano.

As for child stars growing up to be adult stars, Gary Coleman is still my favorite, just because he has aged so gracefully.

my three favs are:

Elijah wood - saw 'forever young' and 'the war' and I thought he was amazing! He was so good for such a small kid.

Christina Ricci - kicked ass in the Adams family and Casper!

Haley joel osment - AI. Enough said.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Mickey Rooney

Kurt Russell

Brigitte Fossey

Failures, too many to name.

The two I can't decide on are Judy Garland and Robert Blake.

I guess ultimately, they are both failures.

Jason Bateman
Bateman has been on tv his entire life. He began with cereal commercials at ages 6-7. After that, he appeared on numerous television programs throughout much of the 80's including "Little House on the Prairie" and "Silver Spoons". Bateman continued to act through the 90's (mostly small roles in crappy movies and miniseries), but he never managed to land a leading role. Recently, Bateman has made bit appearances in a few Owen Wilson/Ben Stiller buddy comedies. But he's most known for his inspired performance in Ron Howard's acclaimed situational comedy "Arrested Development".