Main page

Tools    

Just looking at the main page, does it get updated very often?

In most of the news stuff it is talking about stuff like

More News...
More "Incredibles" Photos MORE
Updates on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe MORE
"Rings" King of the Oscars MORE
New Punisher Trailer Online MORE
International Prisoner of Azkaban Trailer Debuts MORE
New Shrek 2 Trailer Online
Simpsons Movie In the Works
More Star Wars: Episode III Photos Online
Big Troy Website Update
New Batman Script Review Online
The 2004 Oscar Nominations
Star Wars: Episode III Footage Leaked
Kill Bill: Vol. 2 Teaser Released
First Van Helsing Trailer Posted
New Spider-Man 2 Photos Online
The Village Teaser Trailer Online Early

I know that this is mostly a forum site, but there is a front page and many people happen upon this site using google (I did) and an out-of-date front page could lead them to a conclusion that the site isnt very active.

A pretty easy way of keeping up-to-date news with minimal effort is just to put a simple News submission feature and have admins accept or decline news stories. Even give out reputation so people produce in-depth news stories instead of just simple -- Blade Trinity trailer released, download it!

I rarely ever go to the front page, as Im sure the majority of the posters here dont as well, but the first time visitors will most likely head there first.

Very good post Tolstoy. Couldn't say it better myself. I think that the forum community itself should be the front page, and the buttons on top can be its subpages. Just a suggestion.

God, you sound like my mom. Clean up your room! Mow the lawn! Update your main page! Pfft.

Anyway, I'm considering changing the setup a bit if I can't find time to update the News and DVD pages more often. Still, having those pages there, even if not updated as often as they should be, still attracts a fair amount of traffic, and therefore helps keep the community more active, too, so it's still a good thing it's there.

It's definitely tough to keep pages like the DVD and main page up-to-date without lots of help. I dont think you should get rid of them cause like you said, it does attract a lot of people to the site.

There are a few easy solutions which would probably work out. Easiest of which is a simple submission form, where people post news (doesnt go on the forum, just to an admin page) and you just click yes or no to accept news, and it automatically gets put on the front page. Give out a couple reputation points for accepted news or reviews, or whatever it is that you would be accepting. Even give out differing degrees of reputation points so that people will write good articles instead of just one-line 'new trailer' type news stories.

I dont know how easy it would be to implement something like this, but there is probably a vBulletin plugin somewhere that would do this exact thing, if not, it probably wouldnt be too hard if you have some basic PHP knowledge, which judging by the site you do.

Also, I am curious about the mnight.com thing. Why dont you put up a forum topic somewhere. I always just thought the mnight.com thing was an advertisement so I never paid attention to it. Is there a prize at all for winning the poll or just extra hits?

Good ideas, Tolstoy.

Also, how do reviews get posted on the main page? Do you just put them there yourself, Yoda?