Is there any band more fun to listen to than the Pixies?

Tools    

Seriously. They're obviously not a political band, and usually their lyrics don't try to be really deep and meaningful. However, just putting on Doolittle is such an egaging experience. They clearly have a permanent place on my all-time favorite bands list.

All this new crap these days can't touch it. Even the bands that ripped them off and did well, Nirvana and Radiohead, don't quite reach what the Pixies were. Radiohead, of course is more socially aware music that I connect with more personally. However, even with them, I don't have as much fun as I do when listening to just about any Pixies album. Nirvana was more there to capture the raw energy level of them, but they don't even approach Pixies.

I'd say for shaping 90's music, they are just about as influential as The Beatles were.

My name is Henry the Kid and I love the Pixies.

I am having a nervous breakdance
You are right, they are one of the most interesting and influential bands ever. It is not one of my favourite bands in terms of what I in fact listen to the most, but it sure is one of the bands I would love to have been a member of. I think The Flaming Lips is another very unique band as well as Tool. These are bands that when you hear you really understand where dussins and dussings of other bands stole their ideas from; they are the source of so much ideas. Oh, and Sonic Youth of course....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
You are right, they are one of the most interesting and influential bands ever. It is not one of my favourite bands in terms of what I in fact listen to the most, but it sure is one of the bands I would love to have been a member of. I think The Flaming Lips is another very unique band as well as Tool. These are bands that when you hear you really understand where dussins and dussings of other bands stole their ideas from; they are the source of so much ideas. Oh, and Sonic Youth of course....

Great choices. I adore Wayne Coyne and The Flaming Lips, as well as Tool and Sonic Youth. I'm rather thrilled that The Flaming Lips have been together so long and still remain making music, arguably the best of their career at this point. I would be thrilled to see popular music to take off after The Flaming Lips more in the near future. I think music is slowly heading that way.

The one thing I find rather curious about the Lips is that no one gave a damn about them till the last year or so. Even when The Soft Bulletin was realeased, which is one of the greatest albums of the nineties, still no one seemed to be even remoteless interested in them. Just lately I've noticed that they are absolutely huge compared to how they used to be. I think it is very safe to say Wayne Coyne is a musical genius.

Sonic Youth are an interesting one for me. My friend from highschool class was a huge...well, still is I guess, Sonic Youth fan and some rubbed off on me. But not really all of it...my favourite Sonic Youth albums are Confusion is Sex, Goo and Dirty - I tried my best to like EVOL, Sister and the rest from that period, but it didn't grow on me as much. Later work, Washing Machine and those weird EPs, also didn't appeal to me much.

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Sonic Youth are an interesting one for me. My friend from highschool class was a huge...well, still is I guess, Sonic Youth fan and some rubbed off on me. But not really all of it...my favourite Sonic Youth albums are Confusion is Sex, Goo and Dirty - I tried my best to like EVOL, Sister and the rest from that period, but it didn't grow on me as much. Later work, Washing Machine and those weird EPs, also didn't appeal to me much.

I find a lot of their newer stuff really pretentious, which is pretty disappointing. Kim, also, has become increasingly annoying with each album. However, Daydream Nation is one of the absolute best albums ever, and represents experimental guitar rock better than any other single album. Goo and Dirty are both fun and poppy, Dirty being "cleaner" sounding if that makes sense. Murray Street is is my favorite album from them of recent years.

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
Great choices. I adore Wayne Coyne and The Flaming Lips, as well as Tool and Sonic Youth. I'm rather thrilled that The Flaming Lips have been together so long and still remain making music, arguably the best of their career at this point. I would be thrilled to see popular music to take off after The Flaming Lips more in the near future. I think music is slowly heading that way.

The one thing I find rather curious about the Lips is that no one gave a damn about them till the last year or so. Even when The Soft Bulletin was realeased, which is one of the greatest albums of the nineties, still no one seemed to be even remoteless interested in them. Just lately I've noticed that they are absolutely huge compared to how they used to be. I think it is very safe to say Wayne Coyne is a musical genius.
Well, hold on just one minute! Are we talking about the band that actually played She Don't Use Jelly on The Peach Pit in Beverly Hills 90210??? Wasn't the band actually huge in America in the middle of the 90's?? I think the band peaked, in terms of sold copies, with the albums Transmission From the Satelite Heart (1993) and Clouds Taste Metallic (1995), but I don't know for sure. But you're right, today they are kind of considered to be indie godfathers or something. I actually saw them on the The Soft Bulletin tour and it was indeed an experience. Wayne is great yeah, but the guy who plays piano, guitar, drums and sing harmonies impresses me even more. I'm not sure if he still plays drums though.

Kim, also, has become increasingly annoying with each album.
Hah, there are roots of that on Dirty, couple of really icky songs with tacky lyrics...ie. Swimsuit Issue if I'm correct.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Well, hold on just one minute! Are we talking about the band that actually played She Don't Use Jelly on The Peach Pit in Beverly Hills 90210??? Wasn't the band actually huge in America in the middle of the 90's?? I think the band peaked, in terms of sold copies, with the albums Transmission From the Satelite Heart (1993) and Clouds Taste Metallic (1995), but I don't know for sure. But you're right, today they are kind of considered to be indie godfathers or something. I actually saw them on the The Soft Bulletin tour and it was indeed an experience. Wayne is great yeah, but the guy who plays piano, guitar, drums and sing harmonies impresses me even more. I'm not sure if he still plays drums though.
I honestly don't remember them being very popular in the mid-nineties. I usually don't pay much mind to the popular music scene, but I feel like I missed out a little there. Now they are loved and adored by the indie folk and by some of the popular music folk.

Songs like She Don't use Jelly weren't as advanced soundwise, actually, so I wouldn't be surprised if their earlier stuff was big. Anyway, it still seems to me that they are becoming bigger and bigger just recently, as well as putting out their best music.

I'd say Wayne Coyne is a brilliant musician, simply because I have always read that he is the main creative drive behind the group... but I may be wrong in that category. Aside from owning most of their albums, I haven't read much up on them. I may have to check out a bio, now, that I realize I have so much information about them wrong.

I honestly don't remember them being very popular in the mid-nineties. I usually don't pay much mind to the popular music scene, but I feel like I missed out a little there. Now they are loved and adored by the indie folk and by some of the popular music folk.

Songs like She Don't use Jelly weren't as advanced soundwise, actually, so I wouldn't be surprised if their earlier stuff was big. Anyway, it still seems to me that they are becoming bigger and bigger just recently, as well as putting out their best music.

I'd say Wayne Coyne is a brilliant musician, simply because I have always read that he is the main creative drive behind the group... but I may be wrong in that category. Aside from owning most of their albums, I haven't read much up on them. I may have to check out a bio, now, that I realize I have so much information about them wrong.
I think they made great creative pop in the 90's. They still do. And they were so ahead of their time soundwise. Maybe it's because I'm a drummer that I like the drum-guy so much. You should really check those two albums out. The last song on Clouds Taste Metallic, Bad Days, is one of my favourite songs. It sounds this big!!!

I haven't really listened to their earliest stuff, so I don't know what to say about that, but I believe they have been pretty experimental all of their career.

What about Sebadoh?

I See You When You're Sleeping
I've never really gotten into the flaming lips, maybe I should give them more of a chance. The only pixies album I listen to is doolittle, am I missing out?

Originally Posted by MinionTV
I've never really gotten into the flaming lips, maybe I should give them more of a chance. The only pixies album I listen to is doolittle, am I missing out?
Get Surfer Rosa, ASAP.

moomoobarhbarhbarh
yes, there is actually, and that would have to be radiohead. muahahahahahahaaaa!!!... ahh.. i'm not funny. the pixies are okay. but i would much rather hear some ani difranco or even metallica come out of my speakers. woohoo!