Help! I need new music!

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm running out of bands to listen to! So I thought I'd ask some of the Mofos who have good taste (Which means if you listen to like Linkin Park or Evanescence, don't even bother... ) for some suggestions.

Currently, My favorites are

The White Stripes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
System of a Down
The Libertines
The Strokes
Jane's Addiction

So what do ya'll suggest?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I'm running out of bands to listen to! So I thought I'd ask some of the Mofos who have good taste (Which means if you listen to like Linkin Park or Evanescence, don't even bother... ) for some suggestions.

The White Stripes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
System of a Down
The Libertines
The Strokes
Jane's Addiction

If you like The Strokes maybe you should check out Kings of Leon. I kind of did not buy the album because I thought they sounded a bit too much like them, but the opening track is a monster!! Red Morning Light I think the song is called. And that one doesn't sound like The Strokes as much as the other songs.

I really think you should get Neutral Milk Hotel's album In an Aeroplane Over the Sea. It is several years old but since you like kind of primitive and dirty rock'n'roll like The Wite Stripes, I think you will dig this. It is more acoustic and not as bluesy, but equally dirty and unpolished.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The White Stripes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
System of a Down
The Libertines
The Strokes
Jane's Addiction

Hm, I take it you listened to Suicidal Tendencies, Butthole Surfers and Foetus. All I can recommend as of now, as that's about the only thing I'm listening to currently...oh, and Tom Waits and Grateful Dead, yes.

'The Darkness' is an up and coming British band that are currently storming the British charts in a big way. There has been an awful lot of interest on this band and the few songs they have brought out at the moment are pretty amazing. Been compared to some degree to Queen, AC/DC and Led Zepplin. Their debut album is called 'Permission to land'.

Alternatively there is also 'The Queens of the Stoneage' or 'Good Charlotte'. I'v got one of the albums of 'Good Charlotte', its good but perhaps not heavy enough for you.

I've been listening to My Bloody Valentine for three days straight now... their album Loveless really is one of the absolute best I have ever heard. There is so damn much going on in the album, however, that to listen to it without a good system/good headphones is pointless.

The first listen of it is usally somewhat confusing, as there is just so much sound on it. Some people don't like it right away, it needs time to grow on them. So don't expect to love it the second you hear it. It took my two full listens before it's serene beauty actually hit me, and now I just simply can't get enough of it. Some people it takes years before it really hits them.

Some thing to note:The vocals are, more or less, impossible to make out. My Bloody Valentine tunes them down so that they act as more of an instrument to complement the rest of the music, instead of making them take away from everything going on in the background.

Seriously, with how much this album was talked up, I was expecting to be let down. Instead, it completely surprised me and is one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard.

bah, milos beat me to it. foetus uber frisco, foetus under glass, the foetus all nude revue, phillip and his foetus vibrations, foetus art terrorism, you've got foetus on your breath, scraping foetus off the wheel, foetus uber alles, just plain foetus, and all other varieties of foetus. and how'd you like the foetus songs i threw on that tape mix i sent? 'lust for death' and 'i am surrounded by incompetance' if i remember correctly?

judging by the stuff on the mix you sent me, i've actually been listening to a couple of bands lately that you might dig. 'gun club' and '100 flowers', both very good. you might also like 'the talking heads', if you havent heard them already. i havent fully gotten into all the early stuff i have by them yet, but 'little creatures' is one of the best pop albums i've ever heard, definitely one of the best that i own.

i just cant recomend tom waits enough. for me all the stuff after 'heart attack and vine' is just unspeakably cool and weird, but it's all good and all worth listening to for yourself.

if you want something odd but good check out klaus nomi, weird guy from the early 80s who sings parodic synth-pop covers of oldies [which rival the originals, in my opinion; 'you dont own me' is an instant fave of mine] in an operatic falsetto, great stuff. nomi died with hiv in '83.

for more good cheese, the sparks are also quite good [and they've bee around like, forever], i have a pretty good 2 cd best of by them which i've been enjoying immensely. i recently heard their newest album [lil' beethoven] and it's not what one would expect at all, the cheeky cheesiness factor is still there [especially on songs like 'ugly guys with beautiful girls' and 'suburban homeboy'], but it's all, very oddly, not conventional pop music at all. the instrumentation is more in the forefront, with the lyrics just sort of thrown in the background, often just one line repeated over and over
["-how do i get to carnegie hall?"
"-practice, man, practice"]

again more seriously, a band that i've been quite obsessed with recently is 'the handsome family'. actually a husband/wife duo, she writes the lyrics and he does the music. they're sort of a weird country/folk group that does really provocative, depressing little songs, which often seem more like morbid, disjointed semi-stories [the wife i think started out as a professional writer, before her and her husband started releasing music]. anyway they're a recent favorite and in particular their album 'through the trees' has very quickly become one of my most listened to albums in the last two months since i first heard of them.

if you havent already, might i suggest jonathan richman and the modern lovers? richman was the guy who acted as the comedic love-minstrel in 'something about mary'. his stuff is very unabashedly square, and especially some of his later stuff [he has a song about vincent van gogh which has the classic chorus line: "vincent van gogh, well what have we here? the baddest painter since jan vermeer!"] might not be for everyone [though it's definitely for me]. but at least check out the first album ['the modern lovers'], it's a great garage rock album from the early seventies [though it wasnt ever released until years after it was originally recorded]. richman cites the velvet underground as a major influence, and even has a song about them. also amusing is the 'jonathan goes country' album.... which pretty much speaks for itself.

i'd strongly suggest the severed heads, but er, good luck finding them...

suicide is another cannonical group that you should give a chance. they're often credited as punk icons, but i think that has more to do with their reputation as a couple of whackos than their sound, which i think starts out closer to maybe "no wave" sounding, but catchier, and then by the second album just turns ridiculously catchy and awesome.

and speaking of "no wave", the residents are a group that has to be heard to be believed, and even then chances are you wont believe a band like them ever existed [let alone has been putting out all sorts of strange music along with mixed media products since the late 60s / early 70s]. 'duck stab' and 'the commercial album' are my favorites, but any of their great cover albums ['the third reich and roll', which is sort of a mangled collage of top 40s hits, 'stars and hank forever', part of their "american composers series", where they cover on the first half, hank williams [1], and on the second half, john philip sousa, or 'the king and eye' [the title is actually the king + a little residents eyeball icon thingy], which as you might have guessed is the residents doing elvis, as only the residents can.]. they also have a few really great concept albums, such as 'eskimo', which is all "genuine traditional eskimo music" from an entirely fictional eskimo culture, 'god in three persons', which is actually one long story, all sung and with great backing instrumentals and vocals, about a two-bit cowboy huckster who tries to use the mysterious healing powers of a pair of siamese twins he meets on the street to make a killing, and ends up falling in love with one of them, madness ensues..., or 'wormwood', which is all musical stories from the bible, interpreted by the residents... great idea executed quite well. unfortunately i think their sound generally degrades with the introduction of keyboards [too midi sounding for my taste, the residents are really at their best when they have a higher degree of creepy dissonance], and their stuff after the 80s tends to be a mixed bag.

i dont know if i sent anything by wire on that mix, but if not, you'd be doing yourself a huge favor to own 'pink flag', and '154' [their first and third albums, respectively]. pink flag is especially worth checking out if you want to hear the most experimental and refined of the major first wave british punk bands. just make sure you get the rerelease of pink flag, with the bonus tracks [including one of their very best songs, 'dot dash'].

damn, there are plenty i'm no doubt forgetting, but eh my fingers are getting tireeed, time to take a break. hope somebody gets something out of this...

I See You When You're Sleeping
Try

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (go on, have a go!)

Deftones- White Pony

What YOU would love is

The Black Keys - Thickfreakness - Very new, raw blues stuff, it's really cool, get it now!

i just cant recomend tom waits enough. for me all the stuff after 'heart attack and vine' is just unspeakably cool and weird, but it's all good and all worth listening to for yourself.
Hey now hey now now now hey ! Closing Time ain't half bad too !

suicide is another cannonical group that you should give a chance. they're often credited as punk icons, but i think that has more to do with their reputation as a couple of whackos than their sound, which i think starts out closer to maybe "no wave" sounding, but catchier, and then by the second album just turns ridiculously catchy and awesome.
To clarify the "catchy no wave" remark, first album boasts a human vocal and an inhuman rhythm machine. That's all, and it's very roughly produced as well. Ideal to blow out your speakers - just turn them up on Frankie Teardrop and wait for the patch of screams to tear through it.

Second album is MUCH more polished, at some points you might confuse it with New Order. Still pretty good though.

'stars and hank forever', part of their "american composers series", where they cover on the first half, hank williams [1], and on the second half, john philip sousa
Speaking of that, do you have the other one...George & James, or however it was named ? I hear that one is generally better regarded than Stars & Hank Forever.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Henry
Seriously, with how much this album was talked up, I was expecting to be let down. Instead, it completely surprised me and is one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard.
Thanks for that Henoir, I'll check that out

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Hey now hey now now now hey ! Closing Time ain't half bad too !
yes, closing time is quite good; 'martha', 'grapefruit moon', and 'ol '55' rank highly among my favorite waits songs. 'blue valentine' is another pre-swordfishtrombones album which is right up there for me, but in a lot of ways i find it hard to compare his earlier more straight stuff [of course, straight refering only to the sound, and used as a relative term; hardly the square, and he's always gone for that slightly beleaguered hipster chic, no?] with the really out there theatrical stuff he started releasing in the 80s. i just prefer the latter, his range of instrumentation and subject matter keep getting more and more diverse and interesting. not just his lyrical content, but i feel his style have improved with age as well. his various stories and personas seem even more colorful and imaginitive, some of my favorites being the mystery man from 'black wings' [bone machine], the drunken catarwauler [sp?] from 'i'll be gone' [franks wild years], and many others. i think he's also gotten a lot more sardonic with his later stuff as well, which is a heavy plus for me.
still, yuh, 'closing time' is excellent, glad you're enjoying waits, yunno it might be best not to get me started or this thread might just turn into a tom waits wank fest.

To clarify the "catchy no wave" remark, first album boasts a human vocal and an inhuman rhythm machine. That's all, and it's very roughly produced as well. Ideal to blow out your speakers - just turn them up on Frankie Teardrop and wait for the patch of screams to tear through it.

Second album is MUCH more polished, at some points you might confuse it with New Order. Still pretty good though.
the second album is still also very weird sounding though. same heavy rhythm machine but with some very primitive keyboard stuff that can get sort of hypnotic at times. it's my fave.

Speaking of that, do you have the other one...George & James, or however it was named ? I hear that one is generally better regarded than Stars & Hank Forever.
i dont have it, and havent heard it enough to compare. from the couple times i heard it i didnt like it as much as stars & hank, i'm just a sucker for that "billie jean" bassline thrown in on 'kawliga'. the thing with the residents though, is that it often takes quite a while to get into their music, they can be inaccessible at times, especially the farther back you go. george & james [george gershwin and james brown] is an earlier album [comparatively anyway, it's 1984, which is i think about 4 years after their prime ended [the commercial album]], so who knows, with repeat listening i might just turn around on which i like better. both are very good though, i'd also recommend tracking down their cover of nancy sinatra's 'boots', on the 'meet the residents' album. you really cant go wrong with residents covers. as always though, much of the fun comes from familiarity with the originals as well. if you like james brown you've got to hear their cover of 'night train', just as if you like williams you've gotta hear the residents take on 'hey good lookin'.

Wow, lotsa replies to this thread! I guess I'm going to Newbury Comics tommorrow to pick some of these discs up!

In answer to some of the many questions:

Yes, I've listened to, and love, the Butthole Surfers (How can you NOT love them?), Talking Heads (Stop Making Sense is my favorite Talking Heads album), Radiohead (The Bends and OK Computer are the two of their albums I have) and Queens of the Stone Age (I just saw them at Lollapalooza '03! So good live!!!).

Yes, I do believe "Lust For Death" was on that really weird and cool tape you sent me. I have that in my car tape deck almost all the time. It scares the hell out of my passengers!

And yes, I've heard of Jonathan Richman, but I never really stopped to listen to his stuff. It sounds really cool. I will definitely check that out.

Powderfinger...........Vulture Street......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Wow, lotsa replies to this thread! I guess I'm going to Newbury Comics tommorrow to pick some of these discs up!
Don't forget to look for Neutral Milk Hotel. I mean it!

Yes, I've listened to, and love, the Butthole Surfers (How can you NOT love them?), Talking Heads (Stop Making Sense is my favorite Talking Heads album), Radiohead (The Bends and OK Computer are the two of their albums I have) and Queens of the Stone Age (I just saw them at Lollapalooza '03! So good live!!!).
Ah, well then, you gotta pick Suicidal Tendencies. Try with F.N.G. once, a compilation disc showcasing best tracks from their first couple of albums.

Okay, New CD day! Went to Newbury Comics (The single greatest cd store in the world. I pity those who do not live in Massachusetts and can not shop there!) and picked up 4 cd's. (I'm kinda strapped for cash, or I'd have picked up more.)

Kings of Leon, Youth & Young Manhood - Sloppy and enthusiastic garage rock, which really doesn't sound like the Strokes. (At least I don't think so.) B+

The Star Spangles, Bazooka! - This is the best punk album in forever! It sounds like Johnny Thunders, but also a bit like the Ramones. (It was produced by known Ramones accomplice Daniel Rey) A

Neutral Milk Hotel , In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - This is pretty amazing, really. Really raw, loud, and unpolished, but also accoustic. I'm going to need to listen to this numerous times to take it all in, which is always a good sign. A+

Rancid, Indestructable - Okay, this isn't really new to me, but I had to get it. I've been a Rancid fan since Let's Go! and I haven't missed one of theirs yet. This one's a return to ...And Out Come The Wolves form, but with the added wisdom a few years will give you. It's pretty good, and kind of sad, as Tim Armstrong's wife left him during the making of this cd, and that loss is felt through many of the songs. (Weird thing to note: The CD has a song entitled Django which I'm positive is not about our loud mouthed non-friend, but it does have the line "You're so f*cking insincere." So maybe it is about him? ) Still this only gets a B-. It's sorta been there, done that.

Couldn't find The Black Keys, but I will keep looking. Maybe when I get paid again...

(The single greatest cd store in the world. I pity those who do not live in Massachusetts and can not shop there!)
Living in Western Mass, I prefer going to Turn it Up in Northhampton, but Newbury Comics does rule.

Neutral Milk Hotel , In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - This is pretty amazing, really. Really raw, loud, and unpolished, but also accoustic. I'm going to need to listen to this numerous times to take it all in, which is always a good sign. A+
Hey, I am glad you took my advice! Since you started this thread I have started to listen to that cd again and it is so great! Tell me what you think of it when it has sunk in a little!

Oh, and I should mention a swedish band called Bob Hund. They sing in swedish but maybe you'll only find that exotic, I don't know. But the music is pretty amazing. They have done a number of albums since the middle of the 90's, but their first debut mini-cd entitled "Bob Hund" as well as their debut cd, also entitled "Bob Hund" (suitably enough ) are great for starters.

You know if you want to I can record it on a minidisc for you and send it to you.

Minus the Bear - very cool indie rock band with a good sense of humour

The Beautiful Mistake - hard rock with some really trippy guitar work.

Avenged Sevenfold - Hard rock/punk/really epic music

Mad Caddies - really cool ska band with a lot of musical infliuences and styles. Check out the song Weird Beard and you'll have a good idea of what these guys are like.

Skindred - reggae/hard rock mix it is awesome they way their singer sings.