Albums You Must Own!

Tools    

I See You When You're Sleeping
Many, many thanks for that Pidd. You are a groovy guy.

I'm trying to better my music collection and need to be helped out. I've downloaded so many great albums but they just feel 'stale' sitting there on your pc or mp3 disc or copied audio disc. I need the booklet etc, it's all part of the package and it's history.That's why I'm making lists of albums 'I SHOULD OWN' all the time.

Here is a few on my list (some i have got a couple of weeks ago)

-------------------------------------
Bob Dylan

Blonde On Blonde (1966)
Blood On the Tracks (1975)

The Smiths

The Smiths (1984)
The Queen is Dead (1986)

Rolling Stones

Let It Bleed (1969)
Sticky Fingers (1971)

Beatles

Revolver (1966)
White Album (1968)
---------------------------------------------

I'm in two different minds whether or not to hunt down some classic vinyls, they just feel so more intresting to look at and listen than plain cd's but, hey the quality's there I suppose.

So help out guys, probably talking about Pidd, Monkey, Henry here.....

I am having a nervous breakdance
Ac/Dc - "Let There Be Rock"

The Band - "The Last Waltz"

Billy Bragg - "Back to Basics"

Burning Spear - "Marcus Garvey"

Dinosaur Jr - "Where You Been"

Kiss - "Alive"

The Lemonheads - "It's a Shame About Ray"

Neutral Milk Hotel - "In an Aeroplane Over the Sea"

Oasis - "Definately Maybe"

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (Will Oldham) - "I See a Darkness"

Pavement - "Crooked Rain Crooked Rain"

The Posies - "Frosting On the Beater"

Propagandhi - "How to Clean Everything"

Public Enemy - "Fear of a Black Planet"

S/t - "Rage Against the Machine"

Red House Painters - "Songs For a Blue Guitar"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Siamese Dream"

Teenage Fanclub - "Bandwagonesque"

Teenage Fanclub - "Songs From Northern Britain"

S/t - "Weezer"

Neil Young - "Unplugged"

Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Uprising"

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Start with the essentials...

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth-This album defines experimental guitar rock of the eighties, and it is the epitome of all things right in music.

The Velvet Underground and Nico(Produced by Andy Warhol)-More experimental rock, pretty much the album that got me into the more obscure stuff.

Fear of Music by The Talking Heads-If you've never heard Talking Heads, this is a very, very bad place to start. Their most difficult to enjoy, however it is their most rewarding, at the end of the day.

Both Doolittle and Surfer Rosa by the Pixies-Everyone loves the Pixies, Everyone. These albums are absolutely and completely essential. No other album that I've mentioned should be bought before them, if you don't already own them.

Led Zeppelin III-Zep's most experimental effort, mainly all acoustic. Pretty amazing album, just before they went back and made the almost masterpiece IV.

Animals and Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd-As someone who has for a long time declared The Wall to be the most overrated album I've heard, Animals and DSOTM both deserve every bit of praise ever placed on them, and probably more.

I assume you own OK Computer by looking at your current avatar, and if not, make sure you do.

Here are albums that I would't call essential, but definitely ones you must look into if you enjoy the type of music they represent:

Yes-Close to the Edge
Yes-Tales from Topographic Oceans
The Flaming Lips-The Soft Bulletin(very close to being essential)
The Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Talking Heads-More Songs About Buildings and Food
Radiohead-The Bends
Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
Sonic Youth-Dirty
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Everything Bob Dylan touched before Love and Theft

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Henry
I assume you own OK Computer by looking at your current avatar, and if not, make sure you do.
Yes I do, in fact I have every Radiohead album + singles, EPs (I'm a fan). OK Computer is my favourite album of all time.

Thanks for ths lists guys, I'll let you know what I think when I've listened to them one by one. Here's a few thoughts on the ones I have listened to/own.

Oasis - "Definately Maybe"

Probably the first major band I ever got into, although I hardly listen to them now, I never need to. I just felt I 'grew out' of them when radiohead hit me. I do think this is their best album though - it's raw, and classic britpop at it's best. I fell in love with 'Live Forever' the first time I heard it and picked up the guitar to learn it's solo.

S/t - "Rage Against the Machine"

My mate showed me this in a car once and he was doing the drums on his steering wheel to 'Bombtrack', it rocked. A great angst album to put on if you feel pi**ed off about anything and want to bare it.

We have this rock dance club here in Liverpool called 'The Krazy House' and they ALWAYS play 'Killing in the Name', 'Bullet in Your Head' and 'Know Your Enemy'. It's great to see so many people jigging about in a moshpit shouting "F*ck You I Won't Do What You ell Me!" at each other.

As previously mentioned, my favorite, Siamese Dream. Another good SP album would be Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Smash - The Offspring
Raised on Rock - Elvis
The Sinister Urge - Rob Zombie
The Complete Hot Five - Louis Armstrong

here are some that i keep by my side at all times:

tom waits:

rain dogs
swordfishtrombones
franks wild years
blood money
alice
bone machine
mule variations
the black rider

foetus/scraping foetus off the wheel/you've got foetus on your breath, etc. etc.

hole
nail
ache
deaf
thaw
gash
male
flow

the pogues:

if i should fall from grace with god
rum, sodomy, and the lash
red roses for me

einsturzende neubauten - 1/2 mensch

the residents:

duck stab
the third reich and roll
the commercial album

yello - solid pleasure

the handsome family - through the trees

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead, Live/Dead, American Beauty
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, Live after Death
Metallica - Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for the Rotting Vegetables, Frankenchrist
Ramones - Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, It's Alive
The Police - Outlandos D'Amor, Synchronicity
Deep Purple - Burn, Stormbringer

How comes noone mentioned Confusion is Sex by Sonic Youth ? I mean, that's some quality noise right there. And that cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog is not just epic, it's mega-epic.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Yes-Close to the Edge
ELP-Brain Salad Surgery
A bunch by the Beatles, but-Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and "The White Album" (Also known as The Beatles)
A bunch from Led Zeppelin, but- "IV" and Houses of the Holy
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I'll do more later.....maybe.....

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Oh where do I start?

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers - Like A Mother F*cker
Ramones - Ramones, Road to Ruin, Acid Eaters
Nirvana - In Utero, Unplugged
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II
The Vaselines - The Way of the Vaselines
Shonen Knife - Let's Knife, Rock Animals, Brand New Knife
X - Los Angeles, Wild Gift
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff e.p.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

wow i've actually been listening to raw power lately, hadnt gotten into it before but the few times i've listened to it in the last week or so i've definitely enjoyed it.

and hey cool, let's talk shonen knife. they're the coolest. have you heard 'pretty little baka guy' monkeypunch? that's my pick of the litter. i mean, 'i like choco bars' is everything pop music should aspire to, is how i feel.

also dig fear of a black planet, but for public enemy i actually liked '...nation of millions...' best, on account of it has my favorite of their songs, and also quite possibly my favorite rap song, 'night of the living baseheads'. "sellin drugs to the brother man instead of the other man!" er, indood....? interestingly that song also appears on a cheesy 90s synth-industrial comp i have, of cheesy 90s synth-industrial bands doing covers of classic rap songs, cant remember who does public enemy, but the rendition of salt'n'pepper's 'push it' by numb is a classic bit of hilarity.

The Clash - London Calling is a definate have to own...

We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and his Uptown Five. -Jack Black (High Fidelity)

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Ramones - Ramones, Road to Ruin, Acid Eaters
You might be the only person ever who ranks Acid Eaters. Apart from My Back Pages, I think that that album is a total waste of space.

Road to Ruin is a curious pick. Unramonesish as the other stuff goes, but still quite OK.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by MinionTV
I'm trying to better my music collection and need to be helped out. I've downloaded so many great albums but they just feel 'stale' sitting there on your pc or mp3 disc or copied audio disc. I need the booklet etc, it's all part of the package and it's history.That's why I'm making lists of albums 'I SHOULD OWN' all the time.

So help out guys, probably talking about Pidd, Monkey, Henry here.....
I don't know if you'd be interested in my taste Mini...but if you like instrumental check out...

Keiko Matsui~
The Ring (great piano and flamenco style guitar) and
Dream Walk...(jazzy feel piano and sax)

Johannes Linstead~
guitarra del fuego...(flamenco style guitar)

Enigma~
Love Sensuality Devotion: The Greatest Hits...(not sure how to describe it...just cool.)

Originally Posted by Mairosu
You might be the only person ever who ranks Acid Eaters. Apart from My Back Pages, I think that that album is a total waste of space.

Road to Ruin is a curious pick. Unramonesish as the other stuff goes, but still quite OK.
Well, Acid Eaters was like my favorite album when I was in college, so I suppose it's all just my opinion. We all have our idiosyncracies. Mine is hearing punk covers of classic rock. Ever hear Marky Ramone's cover of "Nowhere Man"? Hilarious.

As for Road to Ruin, I liked that a lot because it was different. It wasn't just the first album with different words. "Questioningly" is one of my all time favorite Ramones songs. Plus, the cover is by one of my heroes, Punk Magazine cartoonist John Holmstrom!

[quote=Monkeypunch]Well, Acid Eaters was like my favorite album when I was in college, so I suppose it's all just my opinion. We all have our idiosyncracies. Mine is hearing punk covers of classic rock. Ever hear Marky Ramone's cover of "Nowhere Man"? Hilarious.
QUOTE]

how about lounge covers of classic punk?
ever heard black velvet flag?

Originally Posted by linespalsy

how about lounge covers of classic punk?
ever heard black velvet flag?
I haven't but I will probably check them out. Sounds too funny. have you ever listened to Me First and The Gimme Gimmes? punk covers of almost indiscriminately chosen songs. I died laughing after listening to their first album. It's so out there.

I haven't but I will probably check them out. Sounds too funny. have you ever listened to Me First and The Gimme Gimmes? punk covers of almost indiscriminately chosen songs. I died laughing after listening to their first album. It's so out there.
no, but i've heard of em, sounds good. i'll have to keep them in the back of my mindio. favorite punk cover i have is the dickies doing the theme song from the old gigantor cartoon... "gigantor the space age robot, he's at--your command..."

Originally Posted by linespalsy
no, but i've heard of em, sounds good. i'll have to keep them in the back of my mindio. favorite punk cover i have is the dickies doing the theme song from the old gigantor cartoon... "gigantor the space age robot, he's at--your command..."
I LOVE the Dickies! Ever heard their cover of The Banana Splits Theme? It ended their live shows for years! A cd to check out: Saturday Morning's Greatest hits. It has the Butthole Surfers singing the theme to Underdog, Reverend Horton Heat doing the Jonny Quest Theme and Stop The Pigeon!, a punk version of Popeye the sailor man by a band I've totally forgotten, as well as Sublime's cover of Hong Kong Fooey, and Joey Ramone's legendary version of Spider-Man. Not all of it is good, but most of it's great.

I LOVE the Dickies! Ever heard their cover of The Banana Splits Theme? It ended their live shows for years! A cd to check out: Saturday Morning's Greatest hits. It has the Butthole Surfers singing the theme to Underdog, Reverend Horton Heat doing the Jonny Quest Theme and Stop The Pigeon!, a punk version of Popeye the sailor man by a band I've totally forgotten, as well as Sublime's cover of Hong Kong Fooey, and Joey Ramone's legendary version of Spider-Man. Not all of it is good, but most of it's great.

damn, all i've heard by thd dickies is the gigantor cover, but i love it. a friend of mine described listening to it as "at first you think it sounds like a catchy pop song, until you realize everything is going about 5 times too fast"... great stuff. i have a cd by reverend horton heat, though i havent really given it much listening, had it for about 6 months already but just havent made time for it, i'm so backlogged on stuff lately.

still, the dickies are one group i've been meaning to hear more by for a while now, got any other recommendations by them?

ever heard melt banana? they do some pretty funny and over the top covers. 'showroom dummies' [kraftwerk], and 'surfin usa' [the beach boys] are both great.