Crossover Concepts in Film

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Do the Gnome movies count? There have been at least two of them:

Gnomeo & Juliet (2011)
Sherlock Gnomes (2018)

Also, I think there are three Hotel Transylvania movies.

Captain Steel, did you know there was a cartoon and comic book in the 80s called Defenders of the Earth that featured Flash Gordon, Mandrake and The Phantom against Ming the Merciless? Apparently they are all owned by King Features.

Do the Gnome movies count? There have been at least two of them:

Gnomeo & Juliet (2011)
Sherlock Gnomes (2018)

Also, I think there are three Hotel Transylvania movies.
Hi gbg,

I'm not going to put these on the list only because they sound like characters acting out classics rather than inter-acting with other literary characters not of the same universe. It seems "Gnomeo and Sherlock Gnomes" are new characters who's names are based on classics just because they rhyme - now, sure, you could make the argument that that's the same basic thing they did in Murder By Death... and, well... that would be a good argument!

P.S. Yes, I will add Hotel Transylvania III to the list!

Captain Steel, did you know there was a cartoon and comic book in the 80s called Defenders of the Earth that featured Flash Gordon, Mandrake and The Phantom against Ming the Merciless? Apparently they are all owned by King Features.
Hi average joe!

Yes, I do remember those comics! Unfortunately, I never bought any of them, though (the comic series came from Marvel and only lasted 4 issues - not sure how Marvel got the rights from King Features, but maybe Marvel made King an offer they couldn't refuse.)

And yes, being copyrighted by the same publisher allowed artists to assemble them together.

I'm assuming the comic book (1987) was based on the Defenders of the Earth cartoon as it appeared in 1985.

(So perhaps I plagiarized a bit by using some of the same characters in my never-realized concept of a pulp-fiction era team similar to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.)

In doing some research on Into the Woods and similar movies, I've come to learn the the brothers Grimm didn't write any of the fairy tales they're often credited with, they merely collected them, rewrote some, expanded on some, and published them!
Most of the stories already existed as folk tales handed down from antiquity!
Many don't have any known or singly accredited author. While some had known authors such as Charles Perrault, credited with Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood & Puss in Boots to name a few.

So I have a few more movies to add to the list that include folk tale and literary characters who were at some time combined to interact with other characters when they weren't all created by the same author or existed in the same continuity.

March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
House of Frankenstein (1944)
House of Dracula (1945)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Babes in Toyland (1960)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Mad Monster Party (1967)
Mad, Mad, Mad Monsters (1972)
Yogi's Ark Lark (1972)
Murder by Death (1976)
Murder Can Hurt You! (1980)
The Monster Squad (1987)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Babes in Toyland (1997 - animated)
Shrek I, II, III & IV (2001, 2004, 2007, 2010)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
Van Helsing (2004)
The Muppets' Wizard of Oz (2005)
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
Monsters vs. Aliens (2009)
Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes (2010)
Tom and Jerry & The Wizard of Oz (2011)
Tom and Jerry: Robin Hood and His Merry Mouse (2012)
Hotel Transylvania I, II & III (2012, 2015, 2018)
Into the Woods (2014)
The Lego Movie & sequels / spin-offs (2014 - 2019)
Descendants I, II & III (2015, 2016, 2019)
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2019)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

Another piece of trivia I just learned and which really supports finally officially adding March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934) to the list...

When looking over the characters I saw that "Mickey Mouse" is credited as playing himself (it was actually a monkey in a costume).

I remember the mouse and always thought it looked like an early version of Mickey, but wrote it off to just something similar created for the film.

But nope, that IS THE Mickey Mouse (Disney's Mickey Mouse).

Here's what IMDB Trivia says about it:
This Hal Roach comedy starred Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy and had a costumed monkey which looked strangely like Mickey Mouse, a Walt Disney character. One of the few times a Disney character appears in a non Disney film, no doubt due to Walt Disney being a fan of The Boys as well as being a close friend of Hal Roach.The 1961 Disney remake (Babes in Toyland (1960)) featured two comedians obviously impersonating Laurel and Hardy.

The Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat. I don't know what year it's from but I remember it being very interesting for the contrast of the characters.
My list is for movies only.
As I explained to gbg way back on this thread: including TV shows would make an enormous list that would be unmanageable as crossovers have been many on TV and continue today.

I'm including made-for-TV movies, but they have to be a movie.
The Grinch Grinches The Cat in the Hat was apparently a "TV special" with a run time of 25 minutes (meaning it fit into the slot of a TV show).

The other problem is they were both created by the same person: Dr. Suess, and his universe may have already been connected (we do know for instance that the Whos appeared in both How the Grinch Stole Christmas and in Horton Hears a Who. Whoville apparently was a microscopic place that existed on a moat of dust that apparently existed in our reality).

Therefore it's quite possible that all of Dr. Suess's creations were part of the same fictional universe. But I welcome the suggestion. It would be a neat idea for someone to do a crossover of all the Dr. Suess stories!

A bucket of anxiety
My list is for movies only.
As I explained to gbg way back on this thread: including TV shows would make an enormous list that would be unmanageable as crossovers have been many on TV and continue today.

I'm including made-for-TV movies, but they have to be a movie.
The Grinch Grinches The Cat in the Hat was apparently a "TV special" with a run time of 25 minutes (meaning it fit into the slot of a TV show).

The other problem is they were both created by the same person: Dr. Suess, and his universe may have already been connected (we do know for instance that the Whos appeared in both How the Grinch Stole Christmas and in Horton Hears a Who. Whoville apparently was a microscopic place that existed on a moat of dust that apparently existed in our reality).

Therefore it's quite possible that all of Dr. Suess's creations were part of the same fictional universe. But I welcome the suggestion. It would be a neat idea for someone to do a crossover of all the Dr. Suess stories!
Oh, okay, I missed that part